GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Typical Interstate Speeds

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
the question is so dependent on location and the plates on your car. Driving in NC/SC/GA with "northern" plates will get you far quicker than if you have local tags. When driving in unfamiliar locations, my rule of thumb is 5 miles over (unless there is traffic that is going the limit) or a hair slower than other traffic if traffic is plentiful and moving far faster than the limit.

You also need to know local laws. VA considers 20 over (or anything over 80) to be reckless driving and that may get you a night in jail.

Then there are the regional differences - one of my sites was off a divided highway - usually busy going with traffic and usually dead in the other direction. We always went against traffic and it is a nice, fairly straight road that gets resurfaced frequently - 100+ is perfectly doable in decent weather and not in deer season (I've done it several times - in a vehicle with appropriate markings of course). On one stretch of that road, however, the cops will stop and ticket you for doing 1mph over the 55 speed limit, so the prudent speed on that road is <60 until you get close to that speed trap and then go <54 for 10 miles. The speed traps are usually a marked car, a couple of unmarked cars and usually 3 or 4 traps a mile apart.

I've gotten pulled over in Virginia. It was many years ago, but they were not kind. I'm pretty sure they gave me 65 in a 45 (highway dropped down to 45 near VA Beach) but I was only ticketed.

I've also been stopped in NY state for keeping pace with traffic. Keeping pace with traffic meant 80 in a 55 but still, I was in the right lane and was NOT the fastest moving vehicle on that stretch of highway.

Out of state tags are a written invitation to pull your ass over. I've since learned to behave out of state. Except on 95 in CT, because 95 in CT blows and if it is actually moving I feel an urge to take full advantage.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I usually go 10% over. I do love to drive fast but I only exceed the 10% rule in bursts.

I often touch 100mph entering the highway before backing off to cruise at 72.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Out of state tags are a written invitation to pull your ass over. I've since learned to behave out of state. Except on 95 in CT, because 95 in CT blows and if it is actually moving I feel an urge to take full advantage.

When I'm making an out-of-state trip I never go more than 7-8 over. Cruise control locked.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
7-11 rule. 7 on residential, 11 on highways. I do the occasional pull or will follow someone driving fast in front of me, but I don't cruise above 10ish over.
Ps this thread should be in off-topic

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Generally 10-14 over, especially if it's in a group of cars all traveling at about the same speed. Maybe a short burst to get past a left lane squatter. I keep on the lower side of that range in VA since I've heard horror stores and radar detectors are illegal.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I take some pride in knowing when it is safe to speed and where the speed traps will be using only my eyes.

1.gif

greens

Ready to race!
This is just to satisfy my curiosity: a little survey. Does anyone else have the following issue?

I have an issue with driving fast on the highway.

I have the same issue. I don't do anything less than 80 and usually drive to and from work in the 90-95 range. Hit triple digits often but rarely exceed 110.

I need to sell this thing and get back in to another Miata. That car at 80 felt like the GTI at 100. Sense of speed is so much greater in a lightweight car.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
I usually do 80+ every day in both directions, but my commute route to and from work has some really hilarious parts.

This is kind of OT, but it's still in the spirit of driving like an asshole, so why not.

On the way to work, the intersection where one freeway ends and another begins has a weird double ramp entrance, with a stop light 200 yards prior. It's a crazy race jockeying for position. The second of the two entrances is a 90+ degree turn which I hit with a scando-flick + handbrake every single time.

On the way home, when reversing this exact section, there's a long runup with a gentle curve where no cop can hide where I usually hit 110, if traffic is light, which it usually is.

There's also a back way to my office that we all call "drift corner" because the road just takes a 90 degree left-hander with nothing around it. That one gets a nice flick + handbrake most mornings too.

This will be easier if I show the sections I'm talking about as they can be hard to visualize:

A: Flick + Handbrake turn - the goal is to try and pass as may people who are using the B section as possible.
B: Standard entrance
C: Stoplight
D: Braking area out of 110 mph section

Untitled.jpg

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
That looks like fun. Does A merge with B or do you get separate lanes?

Separate lanes. They have solid white line between them until they straighten out after the end of the curve. Then it's a free for all.

It's hilarious, all the way from the stop light to the end of the whole thing. Everyone is so busy trying to be the first to the "B" section, I just blast past all of them to get to the fun part.

I guess you can view for yourself if you want:
https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1922676,-115.3440357,394m/data=!3m1!1e3

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
If it's a 25-35mph road I go 4 mph over. If it's a 45-55mph road I go 4-9 over depending on mood and traffic. Anything over that is almost always 9 over.

I'm driving slower these days though. It used to be if I was a 45 I had to be going 60 and if I couldn't because of traffic it would drive me nuts.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
I usually do 80+ every day in both directions, but my commute route to and from work has some really hilarious parts.

This is kind of OT, but it's still in the spirit of driving like an asshole, so why not.

On the way to work, the intersection where one freeway ends and another begins has a weird double ramp entrance, with a stop light 200 yards prior. It's a crazy race jockeying for position. The second of the two entrances is a 90+ degree turn which I hit with a scando-flick + handbrake every single time.

On the way home, when reversing this exact section, there's a long runup with a gentle curve where no cop can hide where I usually hit 110, if traffic is light, which it usually is.

There's also a back way to my office that we all call "drift corner" because the road just takes a 90 degree left-hander with nothing around it. That one gets a nice flick + handbrake most mornings too.

This will be easier if I show the sections I'm talking about as they can be hard to visualize:

A: Flick + Handbrake turn - the goal is to try and pass as may people who are using the B section as possible.
B: Standard entrance
C: Stoplight
D: Braking area out of 110 mph section

View attachment 186743
Haha I take it you’re in an R?

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
I rarely go over 80 on the highway and usually set the cruise 5-7 over. Unless of course it's an onramp. Then there is no speed limit.

That's us. We're not fast drivers, but my wife and I both enjoy making overly quick exits from rest stops.