GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Two months after replacing Oil Filter housing, leaking AGAIN.

Passed Driver's Ed
Are you going to tell us the maker of this non-OEM housing? There are only two possibilities: manufacturing defect, or installation error (ie you pinched the gasket somehow). Did you put a finger's worth of oil on the new gasket before installing it?

aeronaticaa

Ready to race!
Are you going to tell us the maker of this non-OEM housing? There are only two possibilities: manufacturing defect, or installation error (ie you pinched the gasket somehow). Did you put a finger's worth of oil on the new gasket before installing it?
Unfortunately, I don't have the exact seller, it was eBay, one of the top 3 in terms of sales on the product (around $100).

I'm not sure how the product could have become defective asides from the gasket, crack/bad valve maybe? I torque all my bolts, oiled the gasket, made sure the surface was clean on the engine, I was precise as I could with the installation.

Car is jacked up right now in the garage, really stumped.

Could it be possible if anything else in that area is leaking oil around the housing and not the housing itself? That would have to be above the oil filter.

Last edited:

vwengineer

Ready to race!
I don't think there is anything there, except the intake manifold or the throttle body, and I doubt they leak that much oil.

Can you try to retighten the bolts? Is the filter tight enough? Did you oil the filter gasket and put it in the correct orientation?

aeronaticaa

Ready to race!
I don't think there is anything there, except the intake manifold or the throttle body, and I doubt they leak that much oil.

Can you try to retighten the bolts? Is the filter tight enough? Did you oil the filter gasket and put it in the correct orientation?
Im going to check the bolts before ordering the parts, I will be removing the intake manifold this time which i regret doing the first time.

I tighten the actual oil filter to spec when I do oil changes (lining up the arrows precisely). Im going to take the manifold off and inspect the housing from the top, hopefully, it's as simple as tightening the bolts.. I did torque them when installing to spec.

vwengineer

Ready to race!
Taking the manifold off is no small job either. Depending if you pull some injectors with the manifold, you will need to replace their gaskets and for this you need a very specific tool. So buy the tool gasket before if you need the car. While you are in there you can also do a carbon cleaning of the valves.

Passed Driver's Ed
Taking the manifold off is no small job either. Depending if you pull some injectors with the manifold, you will need to replace their gaskets and for this you need a very specific tool. So buy the tool gasket before if you need the car. While you are in there you can also do a carbon cleaning of the valves.

Just curious. What are the symptoms of a bad injector gasket? Cylinder misfire? Loss of compression?

vwengineer

Ready to race!
Not really sure about that, I think you would probably get some blow-by/carbon build up around the injector tip which would make it very difficult/impossible to remove and maybe misfires. Probably not going to loose a lot of compression as it would still be mostly sealed.

aeronaticaa

Ready to race!
For some reason, I'm having trouble finding some direction injection intake cleaners locally, or even online. Would a product like this work to clean the valves? Or would the dealer happen to sell something similar?
OR

claner.JPG11111.JPG

Last edited:

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Don't think a toothbrush & gasoline is going to cut cleaning the intake valves unless you had close to zero miles since the last cleaning.

For the leak why not clean up the area and see if you can pinpoint the cause and use a bore scope in tight locations.

aeronaticaa

Ready to race!
The leak is definitely from the housing itself, Its most likely gasket related, but I will be removing it to inspect for cracks. I will be ordering all new OEM gaskets for everything.

Id, like to confirm something, for both the oil cooler gasket & oil filter housing gasket facing the block, both gaskets, should be lubed with oil before installed? Going through my notes I did NOT do so the first time as I was advised otherwise...Was that my mistake?

I've taken a look at that Pelican article thanks, a mate of mine may be able to help me walnut blast it if he's in town.

aeronaticaa

Ready to race!
Were both gaskets on the housing supposed to be oiled?

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
For the filter bracket housing the only gasket that VW calls out as needing any oil is the O-ring for the filter housing.