GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turned in my TDi for an 08' GTi and i'm loving it!

Wiley08GTi

Just turned in my 2010 Golf TDI for a 2008 Golf GTI. Diesel gate really bummed me out but I'm thankful VW made it right with a hefty buyback. I've got to say, the MK5 was the perfect price point and I'm glad I didn't stretch myself thin on a newer model. For the price, this has to be one of the best options out there! I've enjoyed my TDI but the GTI is much more of a drivers car.

I need some advice, things to be aware of, things to consider when it comes to general maintenance and upkeep. With 95k miles, I want to do my best to keep this car on the road for as long as I can.

Outside of a few cosmetic upgrades and an intake, i'd like to keep the GTI as close to stock as possible. With a little research I've seen a few users comment on replacing the timing chain tensioner. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMG_3990.JPG
    IMG_3990.JPG
    510.6 KB · Views: 323

dmfracer

Ready to race!
DSG or manual?

Usual VW stuff - coils. Change timing belt on time. High pressure fuel pump cam follower. Keep up on the maintenance and you'll be fine. These cars have been around a long time and refined through the years. I love mine!

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
In late 2008 VW moved the GTI from FSI to TSI. Which motor do you have? There are some significant differences.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
It's an FSI, manual transmission.

Cam follower is a wear item with rather expensive consequences if it breaks. With a stock motor check for wear every 10k mi or so until you see how they are holding up. Running Shell Rotella T6 caused mine to last much longer vs Mobil 1.

If not already done at 90k I would do timing belt, water pump, thermostat, accessory belt and pullies and tensioner. Just me but I would also do cam chain and tensioner as well. This stuff is all stuff I would do as part of a 90k mi service to insure longevity/reliability.

Fairfax

Along with more aggressive styling, the GTI's ride and handling has been improved to deliver a more exciting experience.We will still bemoan the lack of an 'edge' to the GTI's behavior.

somerset9

Go Kart Newbie
If anything, the GTI is the only option that doesn't have an edge, which makes it good for people who want a smooth and predictable driving experience that won't fall apart when pushed on curvy roads.
WRX has that jerky clutch, Fiesta and Focus ST compromises too much ride quality in the name of mitigating understeer, Civic Type R just looks so juvenile, and the jury is still out on the Veloster N.

If my '07 bites the dust tomorrow and I have to buy a new car off the dealership, I'd probably go with the Civic Si. Add some sound deadening and a light tune mainly to get rid of rev hang