GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turn TPMS off??

found

DriverFound
Just got a 08 Rabbit and want to turn off TPMS. Is this a simple function or does it require a coding change?

I am hoping that I can just jerk a fuse or switch. Changed wheels and 15 or 20 miles later the light came on.

I can live with an annoying light, not really wanting to but as long as no harm will be done. Just not wanting to go into limp mode (EPC).

Please help!

Thanks

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus

found

DriverFound
Thanks for the help!

I tried to get the dealer to turn off this feature and they would not. They told me that all cars will have TPMS by the end of 2008 and that disabling this feature is some sort of violation for them. Specifically one of the many service techs said that the reason for installing this feature was to prevent anymore Firestone type lawsuits.

So I switched the sensors to my other wheels.

Even with the directions and trips to three different dealerships I had no luck getting the dealer to change the coding.

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
Yeah it's the same reason why the dealerships won't disable DRLs. It blows, but it's an easy fix with a $50 Euroswitch and 5 minutes with a Vag-Com. At least disabling the TMPS will be free, haha.

John/Cue\Publik

Speed>stance
Car(s)
2007 Rabbit
when I worked for the dealer they always said it took 1000 miles without em and the car adapts itself

CCook

Passed Driver's Ed
it's kinda nice to have the tpms though, is it able to be switched to the new wheel's air valves, if so how much does this cost?

Yes, either you can have a wheel shop take the TPMS off your stock wheel/tires and reinstall it in your new set or just order them when you get your new wheels/tires. I know www.tirerack.com charges $50 per tire for the TPMS to be installed.

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus
How does the sensor tell the car to give the driver a CEL warning when the pressure is low?

it doesn't give a CEL (check engine light), but the sensors will send the tire pressure to the TPMS module (located physically inside the CCM), and the TPMS system will determine whether the pressure is too low.