GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turbo oil feed/return line DIY?

mageus

'12 MkVI GTI

Dealer says there's a leak at the turbo oil feed/return lines. I've noticed some spotting on the garage floor this past week.

Are there instructions or a DIY on how to replace the lines? Does one have to pull the axle?

mageus

Thanx. I've seen that DIY before. I was wondering how hard it was to get to the return line at the engine block.

If I see a leak at the turbo, should I just replace the gasket, or replace the whole line? How would I know that the line needs replacing? My understanding is I need to empty the oil before disconnecting at the turbo. I'd rather not do that twice if I didn't have to.

Nezoid

Ready to race!
Shouldn't have to drain the oil as most of it should be in the pan. You might get a little seepage.

Getting to the line is easy, just have to remove the axle heat shield.

If there is nothing wrong with the line, then you would only have to replace the gaskets(buy a few, they are cheap just in case, I had a leak on the oil return after my install.. so I had to replace the gasket..again)

Just find out where it's leaking and go from there.

I also found this file useful when installing the f23t, which has some additional detail about the oil return line.

GL

mageus

Do you know what the torque is on the bolts?

It's tricky to get to the bolts. You need an M8 triple square of just the right length, and skinny enough to pass between the hard feed and coolant lines. I used a combination of 4 adapters to make it work. I'm sure there's a $50 VAG tool just for the job.

Nezoid

Ready to race!
Unfortantly I don't have the specs.. might have been why I had an issue with the gasket (too tight?) Got the torque right-enough after the second gasket.. so who knows..

For all hex/torx/triple squares on the turbo install and the rest of the car.. I used/use this kit. On some of them (don't remember) I had to use the long/short in combination with a 10mm combo wrench.

Hope you get is sorted out.

mageus

I have a subset of those bits. Problem is, the shaft is too thick to pass between the other plumbing.

I just did the bolts gutentite. After finding the right combination of socket ends, it was easy peasy to replace the gasket. Not a drop of oil came out of the turbo, since the care was sitting overnight. Ran the car afterwards with no leak. We'll see how it goes.

The dealer told me about the leak when I took the car in for the mandatory emissions recall. He wanted $500 to replace both lines. What a scam!

macsnjets

It looks like I have the same leak on the oil return lines on my 2010 GTI. Is it worth a shot just to tighten the bolts or should i just go get me some gaskets ?

Nezoid

Ready to race!
I have a subset of those bits. Problem is, the shaft is too thick to pass between the other plumbing.

I just did the bolts gutentite. After finding the right combination of socket ends, it was easy peasy to replace the gasket. Not a drop of oil came out of the turbo, since the care was sitting overnight. Ran the car afterwards with no leak. We'll see how it goes.

The dealer told me about the leak when I took the car in for the mandatory emissions recall. He wanted $500 to replace both lines. What a scam!

Awesome.. glad it worked out.. $500? ouch.. maybe they were trying to replace both lines plus labor... ewww..

Nezoid

Ready to race!
It looks like I have the same leak on the oil return lines on my 2010 GTI. Is it worth a shot just to tighten the bolts or should i just go get me some gaskets ?

I guess it wouldn't hurt to try and torque it down a bit.. but if the bolts are tight.. i'm sure the gasket/gaskets are shot.. they are $1.80 from ECS. Might be able to find them somewhere else cheaper/quicker.. Part #: 06F145757L

Don't forget if you plan on replacing both ends you'll need two.

macsnjets

I guess it wouldn't hurt to try and torque it down a bit.. but if the bolts are tight.. i'm sure the gasket/gaskets are shot.. they are $1.80 from ECS. Might be able to find them somewhere else cheaper/quicker.. Part #: 06F145757L

Don't forget if you plan on replacing both ends you'll need two.

Well if they're that cheap might as well go for the new gaskets. I gotta get some triple squares first.
Thanks for the p/n

mageus

macsnjets,
If you're going to the trouble of getting the triple-squares, just go and replace the return gasket where it exits the turbo. It's really easy to get to. Just make sure to get narrower (1/4") triple square ends. If you leave the car overnight, there may be no leakage at all. The feed line does require a crush washer, but is on top of the turbo and harder to get to (I wouldn't bother with it). Also, don't bother with the oil pan ends. You have to drain the oil to remove those (otherwise it will drain itself for you).

Even with the stealership price of $3, I just picked up 2 gaskets and a crush washer for the feed line. Remember, the gaskets on the in- and out- ends of the return line are slightly different; be sure to get the right part.