GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turbo noise after unitronic stage 1+?

andybaran

Car(s)
2009 4DR DSG GTI
I have a 2008.5 TSI and just got the unitronic stage 1+ tune. I've not upgraded the coil packs yet but that'll happen in the next few weeks. About a day after getting the tune I got a p0299 error but cleared it and it hasn't come back. I've noticed I hear the turbo more now that I've gotten the tune between 2k and 3.5k rpm. Is this just a normal result of the tune or am I likely looking at a boost leak somewhere? The noise is not a high pitched whistling or anything like that and goes away once I start to approach 4k rpm. It literally just sounds like I can hear the thing spooling up. It definitely sounds cool but any unexpected noise in a car with over 100k gets me a bit anxious [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

andybaran

Car(s)
2009 4DR DSG GTI
Error code popped again after gunning it on the highway. Time to look at that diverter valve I imagine.

Eric6014

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2 Door 2008 GTI DSG
I've got the Uni 1+ tune also. You should definitely expect to hear your turbo boosting harder, but you're getting an underboost error so that doesn't make sense.

If you're not on the OEM Rev D diverter valve or an aftermarket valve then you need to upgrade it.

Do you have a boost gauge installed? How hard is it boosting when you hear the sounds?

Cjpolokid

Ready to race!
I have a 2008.5 TSI and just got the unitronic stage 1+ tune. I've not upgraded the coil packs yet but that'll happen in the next few weeks. About a day after getting the tune I got a p0299 error but cleared it and it hasn't come back. I've noticed I hear the turbo more now that I've gotten the tune between 2k and 3.5k rpm. Is this just a normal result of the tune or am I likely looking at a boost leak somewhere? The noise is not a high pitched whistling or anything like that and goes away once I start to approach 4k rpm. It literally just sounds like I can hear the thing spooling up. It definitely sounds cool but any unexpected noise in a car with over 100k gets me a bit anxious [emoji1787]

https://youtu.be/gHG4gy3GO0E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cjpolokid

Ready to race!
I've got the Uni 1+ tune also. You should definitely expect to hear your turbo boosting harder, but you're getting an underboost error so that doesn't make sense.

If you're not on the OEM Rev D diverter valve or an aftermarket valve then you need to upgrade it.

Do you have a boost gauge installed? How hard is it boosting when you hear the sounds?

https://youtu.be/gHG4gy3GO0E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andybaran

Car(s)
2009 4DR DSG GTI
I'm an asshole and never followed up on this. I did/do not have a boost gauge install; currently my working on home brewing one with an arduino though so will post a good how to with code and part #'s included when finished. I did replace it with the OEM Rev D diverter valve and that seemed to do the trick nicely. What was weird is it seemed to happen most often when the car was super hot from sitting in an unshaded NC parking lot in August. I'll post an update here if it comes back in the summer.

andybaran

Car(s)
2009 4DR DSG GTI
Current very busy at work but expect to get some time to get back to it in the next few weeks. I've been tinkering with one of those cheap OBD2 bluetooth units and had it reporting back to a raspberry pi that used my cell phone data connection to log back to Google Cloud where I can get some dashboards. Unfortunately the pi got stepped on LOL and it's not the best for I2C (from what I understand) so I'm switching to arduino.

vwengineer

Ready to race!
Yeah I think it's not the best way to do it since ODB2 doesn't directly report boost pressure.

I think the cleanest way to do it but a bit more involved would be to take the data on the canbus directly with a canbus shield for Arduino. I know that the confort canbus that goes to the A/C broadcast some engine data which could be sniffed, not sure if boost pressure is included though.

Or if you have VCDS or similar and a canbus shield to read canbus data from a computer, you could listen to the command from VCDS on the canbus to request boost pressure. Then write a small bit of code to send this command repetively from an Arduino and display the result. You could also do that for any other command

andybaran

Car(s)
2009 4DR DSG GTI
Spot on! I've purchased a MAP sensor and the plan is to wire that back to the arduino using i2c after setting up all of the requisite taps of course

MAP sensor for reference : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L9S65B3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Unfortunately I'm currently in the midst of interviewing for new jobs so haven't had much of a chance to make any progress on it recently. I'll make sure to update this thread once I do. While doing some research for the project I also came across the Freematics kit and picked one up. I'm going to prototype with something similar but this'll give me really easy access to OBD2 and a good way to display the boost pressure once I get that working :

https://freematics.com/products/arduino-telematics-kit-3/

andybaran

Car(s)
2009 4DR DSG GTI
Following up as promised, this was a super fun project but not one I'd recommend unless you're really looking to learn. It is absolutely going to cost more than just going out and getting a gauge, definitely not nearly as fun though. I know a helluva lot more than I did when I started this :) Here's the code for anyone interested

vwengineer

Ready to race!
Very cool project, thanks for sharing it :)
I had a look at your code, so if I understand correctly you read the voltage of the MAP sensor that you convert in a pressure reading, from what you subtract the atmospheric pressure read by the BMP280?