GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tuned/ Need intake Guidance

tm978275

Hey guys, I recently got my 2nd mk7 (2017 SE) and I'm wondering if you could give me some guidance. I have searched the forums but threads seem to wander off pretty quickly...

So I'm running Eurodyne stage 1.5...everything else stock (except the Boomba short throw adapter). The engine
throttle still felt rather sluggish when driving with...passion?

So I threw in a Injen intake that I had from my first mk7...which, I'm aware, is a hot air intake at best. The low-end is definitely a lot more zippier, but upon heavy acceleration it sputters...obd11 shows intake temp 65F above ambient, so I'm assuming that's the issue...around 140F when driving stop and go through Boston's traffic.

I would prefer to not have to buy a $400 intake, so I'm wondering what you guys have done with your tuned mk7s. I did dremel out the front grille. If I went back to the stock airbox, would a vwr or k&n filter really make much of a difference compared to the stock paper one?
Would wrapping the Injen with heat reflective tape help?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
Hey guys, I recently got my 2nd mk7 (2017 SE) and I'm wondering if you could give me some guidance. I have searched the forums but threads seem to wander off pretty quickly...

So I'm running Eurodyne stage 1.5...everything else stock (except the Boomba short throw adapter). The engine
throttle still felt rather sluggish when driving with...passion?

So I threw in a Injen intake that I had from my first mk7...which, I'm aware, is a hot air intake at best. The low-end is definitely a lot more zippier, but upon heavy acceleration it sputters...obd11 shows intake temp 65F above ambient, so I'm assuming that's the issue...around 140F when driving stop and go through Boston's traffic.

I would prefer to not have to buy a $400 intake, so I'm wondering what you guys have done with your tuned mk7s. I did dremel out the front grille. If I went back to the stock airbox, would a vwr or k&n filter really make much of a difference compared to the stock paper one?
Would wrapping the Injen with heat reflective tape help?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
I think the bold bit is your problem. Open hot-air intake likely doesn't help, but i think stop and go resulting in high temps are what's throwing you off.

miked617

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
21 VW GTI
I live in Boston also and I'm running a JB4 with K&N drop in. My IAT's were up in the 150's-165's yesterday in stop and go traffic. So the stock intake will heat soak just as bad. Your car was probably pulling timing under hard acceleration. I run a couple gallons of E85 to help with timing pull but an intercooler is probably the only thing that will help somewhat.

Deviation01

Go Kart Champion
Save some more and get a quality intercooler.

tm978275

I live in Boston also and I'm running a JB4 with K&N drop in. My IAT's were up in the 150's-165's yesterday in stop and go traffic. So the stock intake will heat soak just as bad. Your car was probably pulling timing under hard acceleration. I run a couple gallons of E85 to help with timing pull but an intercooler is probably the only thing that will help somewhat.

Good to hear I'm not the only one dealing with it, misery does love company.

Does the e85 help at all?

Also, sidenote, are there any local meet ups around here?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I live in SC and also have the injen (pointless grill piece removed completely). It's currently 92* here and I just drove to work...no issues or discernible difference vs stock in our hot climate. Don't let high IAT spook you at a dead stop or in stop and go...that's not when your making or using 300hp. When things open up and you get air flow (and room to use the power our cars make tuned) it gets plenty of cool air.

As stated above, save for a better intercooler. That's what'll make the difference during a pull. As for the intake of you like the turbo sounds keep it, of not go back to stock, but either way of you drive like an adult in the rain remove that performance trap of an air blocker behind the grille

jmal2005

Ready to race!
I live in SC and also have the injen (pointless grill piece removed completely). It's currently 92* here and I just drove to work...no issues or discernible difference vs stock in our hot climate. Don't let high IAT spook you at a dead stop or in stop and go...that's not when your making or using 300hp. When things open up and you get air flow (and room to use the power our cars make tuned) it gets plenty of cool air.

As stated above, save for a better intercooler. That's what'll make the difference during a pull. As for the intake of you like the turbo sounds keep it, of not go back to stock, but either way of you drive like an adult in the rain remove that performance trap of an air blocker behind the grille

Define..... "drive like an adult" ... :p

miked617

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
21 VW GTI
Good to hear I'm not the only one dealing with it, misery does love company.

Does the e85 help at all?

Also, sidenote, are there any local meet ups around here?
E85 definitely helps and gives a little peace of mind. I run it whenever I can. Car definitely runs much smoother. Tradeoff is a lower mpg but I don't drive my gti to get mpgs lol. Check out the E85 thread and read up.

I haven't gone to any meets yet, too busy with work, but there is one at the Braintree mall I believe. Look in the new england section.

Isj

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
an intercooler would probably be a better choice than an intake, especially if the car feels sluggish