GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TT/S3 alloy arms & swivels Thread

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
I'm confused about the issues of tie rod...

I browsed the above posts but couldn't find the point why need change the tie rod....I guess that's because the stock tie-rod-end-ball-joint doesn't match the TT swivel? So we need use TT tie-rod-end in order to match the swivel, and then change the inner tie rod in order to match the tie-rod-end, and then change the steering rack in order to match the inner tie rod?

Thanks a lot if anyone help me with this...

It is confusing...

The GTI and Passat spindle has a more narrow hole for the outer tie rod end, the TT spindle has a wider rod end hole. If trying to use a GTI outer rod end on a TT spindle, it wont fit (too small).

If using a Passat spindle, you can use the stock GTI rod ends.

If using a TT spindle, you will need the wider TT outer rod ends as well as the shorter TT inner tie rods. The TT inner tie rods do not have as much thread engagement into the GTI steering rack so the "best" option is to swap a whole TT rack in. You could also have custom sleeves made to reduce the ID of the hole if you know someone at a machine shop, or press out the steel sleeves from passat spindles and swap them into the TT spindles.

If using a Passat spindle but TT control arms, you will need the longer inner tie rod ends. I have found that Moog part number AU-AX-6982 will work.

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
Hopefully this guide helps with what is needed for different combinations of parts. If anyone has experience otherwise of something that is not correct, please let me know and I will update the guide.

Passat spindles only: No extra parts needed, bolt on with longer caliper bolts

Passat control arms only: Swap over GTI rear control arm bushing housing due to hole misalignment between GTI/Passat

Passat spindles and control arms: New longer caliper bolts and need to use the GTI rear control arm bushing aluminum housing as the passat holes will not line up with the GTI subframe. All other hardware is the same. No steering component changes.

TT spindles only: Need TT steering rack, including inner and outer tie rods

TT control arms only: Longer inner tie rods, part number in above post

TT control arms and TT spindles: TT steering rack including inner and outer tie rods, technically need TT axles as well as the spindles widen track by 15mm on each side but they are not 100% required

TT spindles and passat control arms: TT steering rack including inner and outer tie rods

Passat spindles and TT control arms: Use the longer caliper bolts from the passat. Longer inner tie rods may be needed as well but I haven't confirmed

Yumichika

Passed Driver's Ed
It is confusing...

The GTI and Passat spindle has a more narrow hole for the outer tie rod end, the TT spindle has a wider rod end hole. If trying to use a GTI outer rod end on a TT spindle, it wont fit (too small).

Thanks!

Does 'wider' mean that the diameter of TT's tie-rod-end-ball-joint is 1.8mm larger than stock?

I'm doing the work mainly for the purpose of roll center, so the only option will be TT swivels.

Yumichika

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes, the tapered section of the rod end is wider on the TT

Thanks for the explanation!

I find a image of TT steering system:

http://www.oemepc.com/audi/part_sin...bcategory/423000/part_id/254912/lang/e#sec_21

From the image it just looks totally the same with A3...

So according to the disscussion above, the tie-rod-end-ball-joint (piece 4) is different (though they share the same nuts), we need to swap the outer-tie-rod (piece 4) and inner-tie-rod (piece 3), is that right?

And the thread on the big side of piece 3 is also some kind of different, so we also need change the steering-rack. Is the steering-rack means the piece 1? That's a big piece and also an expansive one...

If that is true, well, I may have some good idea...

.:R28

So guys i'm about to upgrade to TT control arms, spindles, rack, inners and outers along with a set of 17z BBK. Has anyone confirmed that the stock GTI 6-spd axles will work safely with this combo?

Trying to get clear answer on this before dropping loads of time and money on this swap.

urraco

Car(s)
scirocco 2.0tsi 210
hello

That is very good info.
Through trial and error I did find said tierod.
What annoyed me was some one charging way over price for an otherwise OEM piece..

Hi, I'm new, but I've been for years, following the improvements they make in their cars, What was it off of/what is the part number? THANK YOU :arco: P.D I AM USING A TRANSLATOR, FORGIVENESS IF YOU ARE SOME CONFUSION: iono:

JRutter

old man
With the steering rack, what I did to make the TT tie rods work with the existing steering rack was to mill off the unthreaded portion of the rack ends so that the tie rods could get full engagement. So if you are willing to make that mod, you can have your rack and TT spindles, too. I chucked a carbide router bit (http://www.grizzly.com/products/1-2-Anti-Kickback-Rabbeting-Bit-1-2-Shank/C1767) into a drill and did it in place. You want a "rabbeting" or "rebate" bit with a bearing to slip into the end of the rack to help steady it without buggering the female threads. I got mine very square - full contact on the tie rod shoulder.

swenak

Car(s)
MKVI GTI Edition 35
Hi,

I have now installed aluminum MKVII GTI spindle with TTRS brakes (with adapter to 345 R / 340mm MKVII brake discs) and I want to replace control arm to aluminum too. Which is the best way? It is B6 passat 3C0407151E?

Thanks.

EDIT: Only for info, 3C0407151E was right way with original MKV control arm bushings with original MKV bushing brackets.

Last edited:

irishbaz

Ive got a busy weekend planned, Im fitting quite a few bits to my front end, the list includes:
  • TTRS top mounts
  • TT Arms and ball joints (keeping my stock mk5 spindle for now)
  • Whiteline anti lift kit
  • Sway bar links
  • Driveshafts

One main question i have is the positioning of the nuts on the ball joints, am I right in thinking the nuts are on the topside like in the pic below?

Any other advise on these jobs ? :thanks:

somerset9

Go Kart Newbie
You will also need new tie rod and ball joint nuts, since the aluminum parts need the flanged nuts.
WHT000785 i believe works for both the outer tie rod and the ball joint. I just got the front spindles on and it is a nice difference. Steering ratio is a tad quicker and the car feels more nimble.

Monzablau

Car(s)
Mk5 GTI & Mk6R
Firstly, thanks for all the excellent info in this thread. I am trying to find out if anyone has experience running the S3/Passat knuckles with the Superpro roll control lower ball joint (TRC0003)? The Superpro site states "suit vehicles with Steel Hub Assembly only". Wondering if this is due to the SP ball joint fouling on the aluminium knuckle as full lock is applied, or if its simply due to the incorrect ball joint nut that they supply (i.e without the shoulder)? Would really appreciate any first hand experience on this please.

For reference I have these knuckles and arms:

3C0407258G Front Right (NS) S3 8P Hub / Knuckle Alloy
3C0407257G Front Left (OS) S3 8P Hub / Knuckle Alloy
3C0407153B Front Right (NS) S3 8P Lower Control Arm / Wishbone
3C0407153B Front Left (OS) S3 8P Lower Control Arm / Wishbone

thanks