GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TT/S3 alloy arms & swivels Thread

fuscobal

Go Kart Champion
I've managed to install the S3 hubs with TT arms I already had, and did some weight measurements + pics. Summary :

Weight :

- bearing > 3.226-3.240Kg (GTI and S3 are about the same)
- GTI iron hubs > 4.413Kg
- S3 alloy hub > 2.928Kg

Weight saving : approx 1.5Kg per corner

Wheel position :

Haven't done exact measurements but it goes like this :

With 235/35/19 on 8.5J BBS RS-GT rims :

- OEM arms + OEM hubs > the wheel was perfectly aligned with the wheel arch on the outside

- TT arms + OEM hubs > the wheel was about 7mm out of the arch/fender
- TT arms + S3 hubs > the wheel is about 10mm out of the arch/fender (I'll have to see if I get any rub in this situation)

Ride feel :

The steering is a little bit lighter and more responsive but what's strange is the ride quality improved ?!?! (the damping is as fastas before but not as harsh )

Mounting :

As you see in the pic, the TT arm CANNOT be installed on top of the balljoint like on TT because it touches the hub. It needs to be installed under the balljoint just like OEM GTI !

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
If you are running the arm below the ball joint (how I have mine too) you need to reverse the nuts, the nuts need to be on top now, otherwise the corrugated nuts are digging into the soft aluminum of the arm itself. The studs should go in from bottom. You can see the corrugated surface on the ball joint plate that is designed to hold the nuts from coming loose. Although with that S3 hub it doesn't appear as though there's room. Perhaps combo of S3 hub and TT arms not ideal. I suppose this should work but that alloy arm isn't designed to have the nuts tighten directly against it.

fuscobal

Go Kart Champion
If I reverse the nut, I'm afraid it will be too close/touching the hub again !?

fuscobal

Go Kart Champion
Laurent, the ET of my BBS is 46 but on the track I'm using my OEM 17'' with ET51 . Boston, maybe if I'm cutting off those 5mm from the top of the screw, where there's no thread It can be reversed without touching the hub with the nut !

laurent.d

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
A3 TFSI DSG S-line
At which setup did you fit the ball joint. I mean are they at the max outside or inside.
How much camber do you run.

Thanks for your reply.

fuscobal

Go Kart Champion
Max outside of course and the camber at -2.2 to -2.3 !

EL_3grab

Beast from Middle East
I think it's better to get the passat arms if you don't want to mess with the track width

and get the camber plates from H2sport for adjustment

;)

fuscobal

Go Kart Champion
Bigger track width is better if you have enough room to accomodate the wheels under the fenders. Now, maybe the 8.5J + ET46 and 235 tires are a bit too much but for the track I use 7.5J + ET50 and 225 tires wich is about 30mm more towards the inside wich is ok !

fuscobal

Go Kart Champion
Offset must be between 45-51 with 7.5 to 8.5J rims and 225 or 235 tires. Less than 45 will lead to fender rubbing and more than 51 will touch the damper. Unfortunately there's not much play with the OEM fenders !

BmwGuyw/GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi, I am really thinking about getting all of this but I have a question. Did you try to use the GTI bearings in the S3 hub. I ask because my car is a 2011 with 12k miles on it and I don't want to spend an extra few hundred bucks on bearings if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance