GOLFMKV

TSI to FSI Swap

titanblue40

Car(s)
MKV GTI (2.0t TSI)
2009 MKV GTI
2.0 TSI
200k miles

So long story short my GTI blew its engine. I’ve had it quoted for rebuilds and replacements and i’m getting prices around 5k-8k from the local and not so local shops around me.

Getting my hands on a TSI engine is almost impossible without spending a few grand to get it shipped or having to drive a few hundred miles to get it. I can however find FSI’s in my area pretty easily.

Does anyone know if an FSI would bolt up to the 6 speed manual that came with the TSI?

Has anyone done a TSI to FSI swap? (or FSI to TSI) If so, what kind of job am i getting myself into?

I have no plans on selling the car and getting a different one. (It’s not my daily and i love the car lol)

Any kind of advice/help is appreciated

chorales

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2009 GTI
i would think the FSI and TSI could use the same six speed manual transmission. the block shouldn't be radically different, not sure about clutch components though.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Trans will swap. I would stick with the tsi and not swap over to fsi, if you swap over to fsi you will need the ecu & harness & match ecu to car etc. All that is going to drive up the cost.