GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TSI Possible Misfire

BurgerGuy

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'07 K04 GTI
I did some reading on other threads, but the scenarios didn't relate to mine so here it goes...

I took a road trip to Ohio from NC today and while cruise control was engaged traveling at 70-75mph going up a grade/hill/whatever I would feel a sudden jolt/shudder. Boost pressure would not drop and the exhaust didnt seem to make any unusual noises. I hopped off the highway and checked the coil packs to make sure they were seated completely in the engine and also plugged into the harness. One plug seemed to go down about a millimeter or two. Got back in the car and hit the road...never had an issue again.

When I finally arrived in Ohio I charged up my laptop and checked out engine misfires on cylinders 1-4. All of them seemed to see 1-2 misfires while cruising around normally and even a few when lightly reving the motor while the car was in park. None of the cylinders exceeded 2 misfires and I no longer feel the jolt/shudder.

Is this something I should be concerned about? No CEL or soft codes (which from what I've read is not unusual) in VAG-COM. If I really give it some gas then I get no misfires so it only seems to be affecting consistent driving conditions. The car has just over 47k miles on it. Time to swap spark plugs or coil packs?

BurgerGuy

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'07 K04 GTI
Not to my knowledge. I never bought any new ones:p

Guess I should pull the plugs and see what they look like, yea? How much do they normally cost anyway?

tampa_mk5

zungguzungguguzungguzeng
Car(s)

BurgerGuy

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'07 K04 GTI
Thanks, Tampa. That's the thread I had read through earlier. The WOT scenario was what made me want to start this thread up instead since it didn't really apply to what I was experiencing, but based on what Hobbs said it looks like I'll need new plugs. I'm going to contact the dealership up here near Hilliard, OH to see how much they want for them.

tampa_mk5

zungguzungguguzungguzeng
Car(s)
Yeah- I have been nervous as more and more TSI misfire threads are starting. I am going to subscribe to 40k on the plugs and 50k on pulling the intake manifold to clean the valves. The thing I took away from that thread was the no soft codes with a noticeable drivability symptom and of course- no copper plugs. Hope you get it sorted out!

BurgerGuy

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'07 K04 GTI
Me too, man. I'm heading to NJ on Monday. Car will make it, but I'd like to get it fixed before Waterfest so that I don't have issues during the autox :p

I had the valves cleaned right before 36k because the manifold had to be replaced due to a faulty flapper motor. Worked out pretty nice.

TheKnightedKing

VR6 Turbo FTW!
Car(s)
2009 GTI DSG
Check the plugs... those would be the first to go besides the coilpacks