GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TSI...misfire? or something else.

dubbin

All in, All out..
Car(s)
09 GTI
*UPDATE* IT WAS THE COPPER PLUGS!
So here is the deal, for about the past 5k miles i been feeling a jolt or a miss or bucking feeling when i go WOT. I got the car scanned yesterday, no soft codes, and no cel's. Im hopin to do some logging this weekend weather and schedule planning but just looking for any ideas or inputs. It mainly happens on 4th, 5th, 6th gear wot pulls. doesnt really do it in 2nd or 3rd. its pretty annoying cause it really jolts, car doesnt lose boost or anything like that, holds and peaks fine. I have cleaned the maf already and cleaned my air filter about 2k ago, so the minute things are taken care of atleast. I am running autolite copper plugs that i changed in about 7k ago.. I never felt a misfire before so idk if this is it and its tough to explain. Feels like something slippin almost or something. Im thinking either i need new plugs and/or coil packs.

ideas? input?
TIA

Last edited:

cringer

Ready to race!
So here is the deal, for about the past 5k miles i been feeling a jolt or a miss or bucking feeling when i go WOT. I got the car scanned yesterday, no soft codes, and no cel's. Im hopin to do some logging this weekend weather and schedule planning but just looking for any ideas or inputs. It mainly happens on 4th, 5th, 6th gear wot pulls. doesnt really do it in 2nd or 3rd. its pretty annoying cause it really jolts, car doesnt lose boost or anything like that, holds and peaks fine. I have cleaned the maf already and cleaned my air filter about 2k ago, so the minute things are taken care of atleast. I am running autolite copper plugs that i changed in about 7k ago.. I never felt a misfire before so idk if this is it and its tough to explain. Feels like something slippin almost or something. Im thinking either i need new plugs and/or coil packs.

ideas? input?
TIA

I have the same experience. It is intermittent and it feels like a misfire. Not sure how else to describe it...I was thinking about changing out the coil packs and replacing the diverter valve, not sure if that would help but was wanting to do it anyway since I'm over 40k now..

dubbin

All in, All out..
Car(s)
09 GTI
hmm not my dv for fact, boost pressure is fine, but yea im leaning more towards the plugs and coil packs route myself..

GTIRaider

Go Kart Champion
I had the same thing happen to my car. It was my spark plugs and coil packs.

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
When you get around to logging, log for misfires. If there are misfires on any given cylinder, swap its coil pack for another cylinder's. If the misfire stays on the same cylinder, change the plug. If the misfire travels with the coil pack, replace it.

dubbin

All in, All out..
Car(s)
09 GTI
Check the gapping of your plugs, the TSI is very sensitive towards incorrect gapping. Also, I have been told by multiple tuning shops to use only OEM grade plugs, either NGK or Bosch.

yes i just started hearing about using only oem grade plugs. i gapped the plugs i have on there right now myself, im sure they are correct seeing how i did those thousands of miles ago, and this is something of recent....they are copper so they could be goin bad...:iono: NGK's are OEM grade? they are a bit cheaper then the bosch plug no? hmm..

VancouverGTI said:
When you get around to logging, log for misfires. If there are misfires on any given cylinder, swap its coil pack for another cylinder's. If the misfire stays on the same cylinder, change the plug. If the misfire travels with the coil pack, replace it

this was my plan of attack, im HOPING i see something when i do log.Dont misfires cause CEL's though? i havent gotten one nor were there any soft codes thrown either... this is aggravating.:mad0259:

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
I don't think they always do. There's probably some threshold were x number of misfires does, but I've logged a few misfires here and there but never gotten a CEL.

I hope it goes smoothly for you, man! I'm hoping a new set of plugs is all you need. :thumbsup:

dubbin

All in, All out..
Car(s)
09 GTI
thanx vancouver, i know you been chasing down some misfires yourself. have you found a remedy yet or the cause? im hopin to grab logs this weekend but i been looking for a reason to buy those new red topped coil packs from ecs :thumbsup: i will post up the logs once i get them. what blocks should i log outside of ign timing and individual cylinder timing to ensure i get the best look at this as possible..

Stanielz

Ready to race!
I've had the same issue twice now. Only jolts/stutters under WOT, no code. Eventually the coil pack will misfire hard/throw a code or completely crap out. If it craps out completely, it's gonna require a tow as you'll be running on 3 cylinders. Personally, i'd either replace them all or carry a spare coil pack or two in your car, their not that expensive. (like 28 bucks each?)

vagike

just diagnosed failed spark plug coil on an '09 TSI. ~48000kms

JamDawg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
09 GTI 4 DOOR
just diagnosed failed spark plug coil on an '09 TSI. ~48000kms

I thought that the TSI had updated coils?

I was having the same problem earlier today. I went and checked the car and it appears the Techs at the VW dealership did not push one of my coils all the way back in. They also neglected to snap the wiring harness together. I plan on running some logs tomorrow night if it continues.

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
Hey dubbin, no remedy found for my situation yet, unfortunately. I'd start by logging "Round 4" as APR recommends for misfires on their page:

http://www.goapr.com/support/datalogging.php

You can also do the timing log, but I'd think identifying the problem coilpack is the best place to start.

Yeah, the coil packs aren't so expensive at the end of the day, so it might be worth keeping one handy. And yeah, it seems like TSI's aren't invulnerable to coil pack problems.

dubbin

All in, All out..
Car(s)
09 GTI
interesting, im tryin to do a swap with a local member with his coil packs to see if that indeed is the problem. i mean yea 80$ for a new set isnt to bad, i just want to know at this point what it is before "throwing parts at it" Seems coil pack is the suspect, thing is i only got 27k miles. idk if the copper plugs i threw in about 7k miles ago made this occur or what... hey should the car misfire in stock mode too? it only does it when i hit around 15psi or so, iv i stay steady on the gas and keep it around 10psi or so it doesnt do it, so basically if i ease on the gas it doesnt "misfire/buck/jolt" or w/e you wanna call it...logs wont be hapenin either this weekend..

GTIRaider

Go Kart Champion
interesting, im tryin to do a swap with a local member with his coil packs to see if that indeed is the problem. i mean yea 80$ for a new set isnt to bad, i just want to know at this point what it is before "throwing parts at it" Seems coil pack is the suspect, thing is i only got 27k miles. idk if the copper plugs i threw in about 7k miles ago made this occur or what... hey should the car misfire in stock mode too? it only does it when i hit around 15psi or so, iv i stay steady on the gas and keep it around 10psi or so it doesnt do it, so basically if i ease on the gas it doesnt "misfire/buck/jolt" or w/e you wanna call it...logs wont be hapenin either this weekend..

I'm stage two and when my car was misfiring from the coils I put it back to stock. It would misfire if I put it under load say gear 3 low rpms and then wot. So yeah it can misfire in stock.