GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TSI Intake Manifold Removal DIY + Valve Cleaning

steelcurtain

Go Kart Champion
Do you have a permanent CEL after taking the flaps out (I have to pass smog tests)? Does it affect fuel economy? I ask because I got my second intake flap error code in 48k miles (both covered under warranty), and I wonder if this will become a regular (expensive) issue every 24k miles. I would just as soon delete the flaps and be done with them if there are no other issues.

Let me clarify, I didn't remove the flaps in the intake manifold but instead the metal dividers that go into the intake ports on the head. The tsi doesn't have the flow restriction with the flaps in our intake manifold; nonetheless I have thought about doing it anyways. Sorry for the confusion.

In regards to the cel, yes you will have one if you don't "trick" the ecu in thinking the intake flapper arm actuator is working correctly making appear the flaps are still there. It can be done.

One more question, I am having trouble figuring out, at least before I have everything apart and its much clearer, which of these three fuel lines I will need to clamp off. It looks like the Red, left most line is what Im looking for but with out everything apart I'm just not sure. Can anyone confirm?

Attachments

• fuel_lines2.jpg
    fuel_lines2.jpg
    510.5 KB · Views: 9,843
  • fuel_lines1.jpg
    fuel_lines1.jpg
    533.4 KB · Views: 9,936

steelcurtain

Go Kart Champion
I didn't cclampnoff any lines in my TSI. Pull the hpfp sensor and let the car idle for 10-15 secs to remove the pressure on the line. You can log with VCDS to monitor the pressure.

tampa_mk5

zungguzungguguzungguzeng
Car(s)
Bumping this up as I am getting everything gathered for this. steelcurtain how many cans of the GM aerosol would you recommend? I would rather have too many than too few. I will also pick up some CLR based on your thread on vortex:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5355100-TSI-Intake-Manifold-Removal-DIY-Valve-Cleaning/page4

About the "dividers" as I may like to leave them out- I have seen the flaps removed and being cleaned but haven't found a picture of the dividers as the other DIY's found have been FSI. Can someone please post a pic of these if they have one? Are they physically in the plastic manifold, the intake side of the head or elsewhere?

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this DIY :thumbsup:

steelcurtain

Go Kart Champion
One can of the GM cleaner will do. I still have some left over. The dividers are in the intake side of the head. Here's a pic. No CLR is needed. The GM cleaner is All u need. GL!

steelcurtain

Go Kart Champion
Awesome- I actually thought those were the "flaps"! Thanks again :thumbsup:

There is a "flap" in the intake manifold that is controlled by the actuator arm on the driver side. These flaps aren't as bad as the FSIs intake mani but they do collect carbon so be sure to wipe them down too. I'm debating removing these on a spare intake manfi I'm going to use for direct port wmi project.

tampa_mk5

zungguzungguguzungguzeng
Car(s)
Bump- thanks for an awesome DIY and even more so for recommending the GM cleaner. I could not even imagine ever doing this over again without it. For $12 that ish is AMAZING!!

FWIW- 3 of 4 of my injectors popped out with the mani. I seen where you and another poster (may have been MK6) were going back and forth about the lower white teflon seal. I did not change mine but definitely will purchase the tool for the next time. I changed the clip, grey support washer and blue o-ring all the same. I was going to try to rig something together and stretched one of the lower teflon washers over a piece of tubing but could not be confident that I could get it on and install it without damaging it further than the original ones may/may not have been. My concern was after getting them seated on the injector that I would damage them trying to work them back down to the correct size.

The TSI has a newer edition intake manifold that is supposed to help with the flapper issues. I purchased it because rather than going through all of this all over again if if failed I wanted to do it once and be done for another 60k. Car is idling beautifully smooth and pulling harder then ever :happyanim:

THANK YOU!!

TL/DR, CSB:

Cleaned my valves this weekend. Use the GM TOP cleaner! Get the newest revision manifold.

Here is a shitty cell phone pic when I got halfway done and called it a night. Cleaned valves on the left, dirty on the right:

Attachments

• TSI Intake Mani.jpg
    TSI Intake Mani.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 2,345

dleej30

Ready to race!
I will be leaving the port spacers out myself as soon as i finish it all up this Sat. I decided since i can, i will paint my manifold a silver ceramic with a light gloss to aid in protection of the paint. I wont do any shaving of the excess plastic ridges just do a 2 tone there and leavem black so my mani is silver with black bones.

I do want to say thank you sir for the post and your pics are nice and met my needs to a T!!! If your ever out in So Cal drop a line!

steelcurtain

Go Kart Champion
I will be leaving the port spacers out myself as soon as i finish it all up this Sat. I decided since i can, i will paint my manifold a silver ceramic with a light gloss to aid in protection of the paint. I wont do any shaving of the excess plastic ridges just do a 2 tone there and leavem black so my mani is silver with black bones.

I do want to say thank you sir for the post and your pics are nice and met my needs to a T!!! If your ever out in So Cal drop a line!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Post pics of the mani when you're done! Thanks man, always love me some Cali hospitality. ;)