GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Trip to the strip... The good, the bad and the ugly

MKViscious

Car(s)
2009 GTI
Went to an open test and tune at my local(ish) 1/4 mile strip....

Mods:
APR Stage 1
K&N CAI
Eurojet Cat-back
Forge BOV spacer

My best run was 14.7@98.3mph

The Good:

-After a few runs I was able to get a decent launch down. Rev to 2200 and hit the gas at about half power until it hooks up then floor it.
-For only having the car for 3 months and not having raced on a legal strip in ore than 7 years, I wasn't too disappointed in this time.

The Bad:

-That being said I was still a little disappointed in my times as I know a stage 1 can do better than this.
-It was 90deg at 7pm when we started.
-I was running on crappy all seasons with barely any tread left that came on the car when I bought it in February.
-It's been 7 years since I've done any racing of this type.

The Ugly:

-I got about 9 runs in. On 4 of those runs, I had an issue with shifting into 3rd gear... It would catch on the gate then slip into first which, as I'm sure you can image, is not only extremely scary but pretty much ends any chance of a decent time.

Worst time with a "smooth" run was 14.9.

Links to the video's below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEAkkeNuGXA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSCCR-XcnCQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb_Sd6sGlsg

Attachments

• 14.7 slip.jpg
    14.7 slip.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 489

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I think good tires and a couple choice mods could shave at least a second. Still decent though.

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion
Pro-tip: Street tires don't hook up on a racetrack. Especially worn all seasons hahaha

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
sometimes depends on the heat & other conditions, my old GLI I only managed a 14.7 @ 95 in hot sacramento weather. I went back with this basically stock R32 and also got 14.7 @ 94. but tonight, at wednesday night drags at sonoma raceway, screwing up off the line got a 14.6, then two 14.42's, then a miracle 14.38 @ 93!!! I belive this thing is stock, i only did suspension & lighter wheels & lighter front brakes, stiff motor mounts.

2.093-60ft.
9.172-660ft. @74.47mph
14.381-1/4 @93.05mph

there were also a few guys with old civics with k20 swaps doing shitty times, but the domestic muscle guys were of course killing it.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2009 GLI, 2016 GTI
Nice! Im taking my 09 GLI to the track on wed, only had it a few months as well but I have stage 1 intake, catback too!

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
Idk, I'm thinking the previous owner flashed this thing, cause they are typical mid to high 14's stock, or I'm that badass with a R lol

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Dogbone mount insert will help take the slop out of the shifter.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
The trap speed seems pretty in sync with being Stg 1 especially given the 90 degree temps. I trapped 97 way the hell back in 2007 with the stock tune, intake, and catless DP, but it wasn't anywhere near 90 either.

You'd be amazed at some of the results I've seen at the drag strip with factory stock vehicles or even modded ones. I was at Great Lakes Dragaway 2 weeks ago on Memorial Day for Import Wars. Mid 80's, relatively low humidity. There were first gen MS3's and second gen MS3's running times and traps less than some modded DSG Mk6 GTI's out there. THEY HAVE KO4's AND SHOULD RUN HIGH 13'S STOCK! Haha. Driver mod counts for a lot. Hell, I saw a modded Neon SRT-4 on DR's or slicks running 14's hahaha.

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
The trap speed seems pretty in sync with being Stg 1 especially given the 90 degree temps. I trapped 97 way the hell back in 2007 with the stock tune, intake, and catless DP, but it wasn't anywhere near 90 either.

You'd be amazed at some of the results I've seen at the drag strip with factory stock vehicles or even modded ones. I was at Great Lakes Dragaway 2 weeks ago on Memorial Day for Import Wars. Mid 80's, relatively low humidity. There were first gen MS3's and second gen MS3's running times and traps less than some modded DSG Mk6 GTI's out there. THEY HAVE KO4's AND SHOULD RUN HIGH 13'S STOCK! Haha. Driver mod counts for a lot. Hell, I saw a modded Neon SRT-4 on DR's or slicks running 14's hahaha.

Well ya, srt4 can't hook for shit making 300 or so, spin 1st thru 3rd

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
DR's or slicks should still pull better than low 14's hahaha. I ran a 13.7 with a shit 60' on autox tires haha