GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Trailer hitch

ObeyMyFast!

^Who I am...What I say->
Yes, I said it.

I'm getting into mountain biking again and realized that getting my bike into my car is a PITA! (for those of you who are wondering, its a 2009 Glory 0)

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=220337&highlight=reciever+hitch

Has anybody ever tried this on a MKV? I have no idea if it will work, but thats the only way I would go with a trailer hitch. Total stealth mode. Otherwise I would get a roof rack, probably with this attachment:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_V--2.0T/Exterior/Body/Roof_Rack/ES1905632/

(or something better if any of you guys want to recommend something.

wolfpack_1.8T

Banned
well im in the same boat as you man right now. the wife and i are wanting some bikes. dude, i hate those hitches. seriously no kidding this last week, we saw an explorer with one and bam, hit a bump and fucking lost 2 out of 5 bikes on the highway. luckily, they hit the mountainside and didnt stay on they road. i would go with a rack man, but thats just me man

ObeyMyFast!

^Who I am...What I say->
well im in the same boat as you man right now. the wife and i are wanting some bikes. dude, i hate those hitches. seriously no kidding this last week, we saw an explorer with one and bam, hit a bump and fucking lost 2 out of 5 bikes on the highway. luckily, they hit the mountainside and didnt stay on they road. i would go with a rack man, but thats just me man

Damn...

Ok, I forgot about the bumps in the road thing. I think I'll go with the roof rack. But heres the thing, my bike is like 45lbs... and I need a rack that can handle that weight. I think I'll go with the WV base bars, but what attachment? The claw type or the fork type? ugh...

wolfpack_1.8T

Banned
im looking for the same homie. ill post up something if i can find something good.

yeah man, seeing that made me say im only getting a rack. that was scary, bike came within 2 feet from hitting us. i was pissed. but, i did get out and help the old man after belittling the shit out of him. lol

ObeyMyFast!

^Who I am...What I say->
im looking for the same homie. ill post up something if i can find something good.

yeah man, seeing that made me say im only getting a rack. that was scary, bike came within 2 feet from hitting us. i was pissed. but, i did get out and help the old man after belittling the shit out of him. lol

haha

VW makes some racks, but I just want to go the cheapest/safest route, if that makes any sense.

(and I dont know the advantage of a fork mounted rack, etc...)

Although with a fork mounted rack, my bike has a really thick through axle... I wonder what the fitment would be like. I want to make sure its not rattling around. :iono:

markandersen

Ready to race!
It's probably not the most cost effective but I just put a Thule rack on my car (the bike attachments are going on this weekend) For the full rack and fairing it was $351.72 from www.rackwarehouse.com with an extra 10% coupon code found with a google search.

The attachments can be pretty cheap if you buy used or get Rockymounts www.rockymounts.com (fork mount only) but I went with a Thule Side Arm 594xt Upright Bike Carrier (to be installed this weekend) Can't wait to get riding again.

Attachments

• IMG_1135.jpg
    IMG_1135.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 1,749
  • 594XT_oc.ashx.png
    594XT_oc.ashx.png
    215.7 KB · Views: 1,274

ObeyMyFast!

^Who I am...What I say->
^ Let me know how that sidearm works out. The price of 350 didn't include the sidearm, did it? How much did you pay for the sidearm? A lot of guys on ridemonkey.com seem to use that attachment.

I was just thinking about getting a VW rack (about 260) and then adding the rockymounts rack for $80. But, my bike has a 20mm through axle... I don't know if that will work. (do they have adapters?) Thats why I want to know about the sidearm. Even though its way more expensive, it might be worth it.

Also, do you know if all of the attachments will work on the VW bars?

Thank you!

markandersen

Ready to race!
^ Let me know how that sidearm works out. The price of 350 didn't include the sidearm, did it? How much did you pay for the sidearm? A lot of guys on ridemonkey.com seem to use that attachment.

I was just thinking about getting a VW rack (about 260) and then adding the rockymounts rack for $80. But, my bike has a 20mm through axle... I don't know if that will work. (do they have adapters?) Thats why I want to know about the sidearm. Even though its way more expensive, it might be worth it.

Also, do you know if all of the attachments will work on the VW bars?

Thank you!

No, the 350 did not include it, the sidearms can get expensive (well, any of this stuff can!) They were about 137 each shipped from www.rackwarehouse.com

I was really contemplating on the fork on or fork off but in the end I wanted it to be as easy as it could be to just throw the bikes on and go...plus, my wife will be able to tackle putting the bike on too.

The rockymounts attachment you would need is called the Euro Pitchfork and it works on the Thule Aero Bars and then all of the factory (or oem) bars on BMW, Audi, VW, etc... Not sure about the adapters but their support is great, and they have dealers all through the states.

Chris@RT

Banned
Search ebay and craigslist. I just got brand new load bars, used fit kit, and new locks/keys straight from thule for under 100 bucks. This was for my jeep so the fit/foot kit was more generic. I had two fork mount carriers already which technically are my brothers and I need to give him some cash for, but will end up being under 200 total.

The VW racks are nice but personally always thought were ugly. They also only fit that one car and depending on carriers you are using require adapters so that can add to the price. They are often more expensive then a thule or yakima bar set so you start off more expensive before accessories.

The bike you pictured is going to need a tray type with a side arm like mentioned above, it won't fit on most standard hitch or trunk racks that hang the bike from the top tube.

A hitch, then a hitch rack with stand up type carries is going to be the most expensive option. If you had an suv or something with a hitch already then they can be cheaper but figure at least 250 or so for the hitch installed before you even get the bike carrier.

If you have no sunroof don't worry about a fairing unless you want it for looks. It will make it slightly more aerodyanmic but not enough that you would make your money back on the fuel savings.

markandersen

Ready to race!
Somehow those words scare me when talking about bikes...

Here's mine:

That's a beauty! I'm still rocking an old Specialized FSR Comp. Old but still rides well. Def no way to use the frame clamp style attachment. I had to go tray/sidearm.

ObeyMyFast!

^Who I am...What I say->
I just emailed rockymounts about the 20mm through axle issue... we'll see how it goes.

Nothing for base bars on craigslist, and they are more expensive on ebay than they are on websites like ecstuning.

Chris@RT

Banned
Find out the fit/feet kit part numbers off the thule or yakima site and just look for those I paid like 20 bucks for my fit kit used.

There is also someone in the cycling forum on vwvortex organizing a group buy I believe.

ObeyMyFast!

^Who I am...What I say->
Find out the fit/feet kit part numbers off the thule or yakima site and just look for those I paid like 20 bucks for my fit kit used.

There is also someone in the cycling forum on vwvortex organizing a group buy I believe.

I'll check that out.

Thanks

EDIT: I have no idea how to use vwvortex... can I get a link?

Last edited: