GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Traded in my GTI for something else German...

Brit-abroad

Ready to race!
OP, you got a great deal on that 328xi, I sell BMW's (over 13 years now) and looking at the figures, the dealer went all the way down to the bone!.
The color combo is one of my favorites; it's a very nice looking 328xi.

I bought a brand new 2013 GTI Wolfsburgh edition 6 months ago; it's a great car for the price.

To some, the BMW seems way over priced, but once you look under the skin and see how the AWD system works, the brake drying etc, etc, that's were the money goes.

I was driving in Wisconsin a couple of weeks ago in slush and rain, went to hit the brake and nothing for a second or two. A BMW would have had brakes immediately due to the brake drying it has.

Take your foot of the gas pedal really fast, the car will prime the brakes to give you maximum braking force, the car thinks you are going to perform an emergency stop. Just these two things could save you a few extra feet in an emergency situation, which in turn could be the difference between hit someone or not.

I could go on about the best AWD system out there and the adaptive transmission etc, but I have to get back to work.
Nice car you have there OP and feel free to PM if you have any questions on your new 328xi.

Some people will ask why I bought a GTI instead of a BMW, I have too many bills and can’t afford one just yet. The GTI is IMO a great value for money car, its safe, fast and fun to drive, plus being a hatch back, very versatile too.

CSteelGrrl

Ready to race!
Interesting discussion - and congratulations Ryan on your selection of a very handsome vehicle! Colour combo is fabulous. I'm sure you had a short list of cars and this 3 series ticked the most boxes for you. Just like the GTI had before it. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Of course you boldly come forth with the news on a GTI forum - so some of the feedback is best ignored - the simple truth is some of us have short lists but other financial obligations, or our short lists don't include BMW's. I live in city where BMW's are absolutely everywhere - a bit like Subaru's in Portland haha. This diminishes the "cache" of the brand for me. Not much better for Audi or Mercedes either. When I'm surrounded by masses of such sedans they begin to take on a certain blandness / soul-less tint. Along with the beige Toyota's. I will walk a block as a self confessed car nut - and stop to admire a blue Subaru BRZ but ignore the three A4's. The only way I could individualize my premium car then would then be with aftermarket add ons. That would make my already pricey car stratospheric in cost - then in typical German fashion after 4 years the depreciation would probably mean I'd be stuck with it for many more years and every premium priced repair would feel like a stab in my spleen. I don't want that type of pain haha. Not to mention - divorce.
That's why the GTI is such a compelling vehicle! It's base price is affordable to the middle class car enthusiast, and the aftermarket builds are individual and can be done gradually as finances allow. The car owner community is a strong one - surely one of the strongest online. I really enjoy the owners here. Yet I always read the threads of GTI owners moving to other vehicles to see what they have chosen - some choices make my blood temperature cool down as I see the price go up but the fun factor go down. Because for me the thrill has to be maintained otherwise I know I will return to a fun car when the new car smell fades and a thin layer of dust settles on the dash.
I can't explain why a test drive in a 135i with M pack wasn't thrilling - I mean I liked the sound of the exhaust and red interior makes me weak at the knees and there was gallons of power blah blah but I laughed out loud when I drove away in my Stage 2 GTI. And it wasn't just the comfort of the credit card still sitting in my back pocket.
This is my second GTI after a two year foray into Audi and even Range Rover (for god's sake, I never felt at home in that car!) after all. Even a slightly better interior with better tech isn't enough for me in the long term.
I hope your choice fuels your fire beyond the short term.

And because we know our GTI's won't last forever I personally hope the new R blows me away ...... :23:. Not sure that anything else will tick all my boxes!

stuck24

so?
Car(s)
GTI FSI
The GTI has the brake wiping function as well. Typically when you put your wipers on, the brakes wipe the discs. But if they continue to do so after we take the foot off the pedal is something I cannot answer.

Our brakes just suck compared with a 3 series or most Euro cars. Much of it has to do with the pad material.

Needless to say, 3 series = stupendously built engineering art. GTI = best built all-around value below $30k.

OP, you got a great deal on that 328xi, I sell BMW's (over 13 years now) and looking at the figures, the dealer went all the way down to the bone!.

I bought a brand new 2013 GTI Wolfsburgh edition 6 months ago; it's a great car for the price.

To some, the BMW seems way over priced, but once you look under the skin and see how the AWD system works, the brake drying etc, etc, that's were the money goes.

I was driving in Wisconsin a couple of weeks ago in slush and rain, went to hit the brake and nothing for a second or two. A BMW would have had brakes immediately due to the brake drying it has.

Take your foot of the gas pedal really fast, the car will prime the brakes to give you maximum braking force, the car thinks you are going to perform an emergency stop. Just these two things could save you a few extra feet in an emergency situation, which in turn could be the difference between hit someone or not.

I could go on about the best AWD system out there and the adaptive transmission etc, but I have to get back to work.
Nice car you have there OP and feel free to PM if you have any questions on your new 328xi.

Some people will ask why I bought a GTI instead of a BMW, I have too many bills and can’t afford one just yet. The GTI is IMO a great value for money car, its safe, fast and fun to drive, plus being a hatch back, very versatile too.

Last edited:

stuck24

so?
Car(s)
GTI FSI
Thanks@!

At those prices, Europeans will expect their Golf GTI interior to be pretty damn spiffy.

Us in the US get lucky and pay $25k for this entry into entry level premium interiors.

Euro 28675 GTi start before options
Euro 29050 320 base before options

Right off both German sites. At a dealer most Gti are 36000 euros+. Germans have a myriad of choices vs the Mcdonalds style package ordering forced on US clients.

Most people I know hold BMW as an upmarket premium brand vs VW. The cross shop isn't as prevalent as you believe in Germany with BMW viewed as a significant cut above VW.

CSteelGrrl

Ready to race!
Hey Brit-abroad!

Just wondering if you'd like to comment on the AWD system of BMW, and why it is the "best" AWD system?
How is it different to the systems used by VAG?
When car shopping with a friend the Subaru salesman said Subaru's is the best out there. :fighting0030: But realistically I'm not sure I could appreciate the difference as a driver would I? Or when would I - during an emergency, or getting out of trouble in the snow?
Don't mean to hijack the thread - you can PM me! Just want to hear your opinion as you know the brand well and doing an online search might yield info too technical for a dame ;) Thanks!

Ryan T.

Passed Driver's Ed

Thanks for the feedback on the deal! I was kind of hoping i did alright - kind of hard to tell - I found a lot of info on lease pricing but not so much on buying.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
3-2-1 okay now that its been apx 24 hours since your purchase you posted on gti forums..im sad to say the stage 2 gti was faster. via youtube videos. lol cool beemer though...perhaps i dare even say more superiorER interior :eek:

Ryan T.

Passed Driver's Ed
3-2-1 okay now that its been apx 24 hours since your purchase you posted on gti forums..im sad to say the stage 2 gti was faster. via youtube videos. lol cool beemer though...perhaps i dare even say more superiorER interior :eek:

It might have been. Seat of your pants it was definitely faster, felt more raw. Traction through the front wheels on the A/S tires wasn't always there however - the AWD helps in that regard.

nomadic

Ready to race!
To some, the BMW seems way over priced

Unless that car came with a built-in blowjob machine warrantied for life....that's the most overpriced car around. The only people that would not find it overpriced are the ones with money to burn and don't care about price or value. That's why most people lease them.

But close to $50K for a 328...AWD or not.......that borders almost on lunacy. It's like showing everyone a new Casio G-shock watch that was bought for $1K. Many are not going to say..."NICE $1K Casio!" Be better just to leave the price out of it to avoid the :eek::eek::eek:

GOBbluth

Ready to race!
The GTI has the brake wiping function as well. Typically when you put your wipers on, the brakes wipe the discs. But if they continue to do so after we take the foot off the pedal is something I cannot answer.

Our brakes just suck compared with a 3 series or most Euro cars. Much of it has to do with the pad material.

Needless to say, 3 series = stupendously built engineering art. GTI = best built all-around value below $30k.

I have never heard of the auto wipe on the gti. Source? Anyone else?

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
It might have been. Seat of your pants it was definitely faster, felt more raw. Traction through the front wheels on the A/S tires wasn't always there however - the AWD helps in that regard.

yep ur not gonna be missing dat fwd anytime soon, love the interior on your car..any future mods planned? or just gonna stay classy?

Jacris

Ready to race!
Interesting discussion - and congratulations Ryan on your selection of a very handsome vehicle! Colour combo is fabulous. I'm sure you had a short list of cars and this 3 series ticked the most boxes for you. Just like the GTI had before it. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Of course you boldly come forth with the news on a GTI forum - so some of the feedback is best ignored - the simple truth is some of us have short lists but other financial obligations, or our short lists don't include BMW's. I live in city where BMW's are absolutely everywhere - a bit like Subaru's in Portland haha. This diminishes the "cache" of the brand for me. Not much better for Audi or Mercedes either. When I'm surrounded by masses of such sedans they begin to take on a certain blandness / soul-less tint. Along with the beige Toyota's. I will walk a block as a self confessed car nut - and stop to admire a blue Subaru BRZ but ignore the three A4's. The only way I could individualize my premium car then would then be with aftermarket add ons. That would make my already pricey car stratospheric in cost - then in typical German fashion after 4 years the depreciation would probably mean I'd be stuck with it for many more years and every premium priced repair would feel like a stab in my spleen. I don't want that type of pain haha. Not to mention - divorce.
That's why the GTI is such a compelling vehicle! It's base price is affordable to the middle class car enthusiast, and the aftermarket builds are individual and can be done gradually as finances allow. The car owner community is a strong one - surely one of the strongest online. I really enjoy the owners here. Yet I always read the threads of GTI owners moving to other vehicles to see what they have chosen - some choices make my blood temperature cool down as I see the price go up but the fun factor go down. Because for me the thrill has to be maintained otherwise I know I will return to a fun car when the new car smell fades and a thin layer of dust settles on the dash.
I can't explain why a test drive in a 135i with M pack wasn't thrilling - I mean I liked the sound of the exhaust and red interior makes me weak at the knees and there was gallons of power blah blah but I laughed out loud when I drove away in my Stage 2 GTI. And it wasn't just the comfort of the credit card still sitting in my back pocket.
This is my second GTI after a two year foray into Audi and even Range Rover (for god's sake, I never felt at home in that car!) after all. Even a slightly better interior with better tech isn't enough for me in the long term.
I hope your choice fuels your fire beyond the short term.

And because we know our GTI's won't last forever I personally hope the new R blows me away ...... :23:. Not sure that anything else will tick all my boxes!

excellent post, well said.

What compells the OP to post his new beemer on this forum. I have seen this before and don't get it. You moved on to really nice car, got it, see ya, good luck. Maybe it's therapy for buyers remorse.

Ryan T.

Passed Driver's Ed
excellent post, well said.

What compells the OP to post his new beemer on this forum. I have seen this before and don't get it. You moved on to really nice car, got it, see ya, good luck. Maybe it's therapy for buyers remorse.

Really? I guess it's just because I've always found it interesting what people move on to when they leave a particular car, and how the new car compares to what I own - if you're not interested, it's pretty easy not to open the thread - I was pretty clear in the title.