GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Traded for a '12 Mustang GT

legandrex

Ready to race!
Just did an oil change. Ford engineers were not as friendly as VW engineers in regards to the placement of the oil filter. It's at the bottom of the motor. Not convenient like the top placement on the GTI.

Also having to use 8 quarts is a first for me. I've never owned a V8 before.

There's also a feature on the manuals called Skip Shift. From what I've read Ford added it to meet CAFE standards. What it does is makes you shift from 1st to 4th when you're granny shifting at low speed. There's certain criteria that has to be met for it to activate which I'm not solid on the details. Sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. It catches me off guard when it happens. I didn't like it much. So to remedy that I had to disconnect the skip shift solenoid on the tranny and covered up the ends. No more skip shift thank goodness.

Not to alarm you or start an off topic rant...but if I were you I would opt for Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra next oil change. My 32 valve Mach motor made quite a bit of start up noise with Mobil 1 when I used to use it. It has been much quieter with the Pennzoil. I'm not a Mobil 1 hater as I use 0w-40 in my GTI, but generally the 5w-20 blend isn't the most loved on Bob oil forums from my research.

andylaiphoto

Go Kart Champion
Not to alarm you or start an off topic rant...but if I were you I would opt for Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra next oil change. My 32 valve Mach motor made quite a bit of start up noise with Mobil 1 when I used to use it. It has been much quieter with the Pennzoil. I'm not a Mobil 1 hater as I use 0w-40 in my GTI, but generally the 5w-20 blend isn't the most loved on Bob oil forums from my research.

Thanks for the heads up. I will be keeping an eye on how the engine reacts to the mobile one.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
talk about oil, i see your mans car is treating you well. theres always this one gti that almost looks like yours parked at a shopping center near my work and i might get my car totaled due to flood from drooling :D

andylaiphoto

Go Kart Champion
Left the Mustang at the dealership for a couple TSBs. I was setup with a loaner. They gave me a '14 base 6 cylinder.

On paper they seem to perform okay but driving it you don't get a sense of how capable it is on paper.

Small wheels with fat tires made it feel loose and imprecise. Even with the steering set in sport mode it felt completely different. Wasn't a fan of the busy guages either. The one cool thing it had was the track app capability. There's an accelerometer mode that tells you the Gs you pull in any direction. It was fun messing with that.

If that was the only version produced I definitely would not be a fan. It's pretty crazy how different a car can feel depening on trim. Granted it's got a completely different power source than the GT but it's so far off they don't even seem like they belong in the same bloodline.

Is the difference this drastic between the GTI and the standard Golf?

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
Yeah I was pretty disappointed in all categories when I borrowed a 2014 Mustang V6 for a few days. People claim the V6 handles better because of less weight at the front, but it didn't seem noticable to me, having driven a 2013 GT 5.0 as well. Personally I would never buy the V6. That chassis was designed to accomodate the Coyote engine.

SayaGTI

www.meatspin.com
Does your '12 have the "track pack" or whatever it's called? Doesn't that have upgraded suspension components?

In theory, the V6 should handle better because it's lighter and it helped the front:rear bias, but if it has inferior suspension geometry, it won't do so hot compared to the GT.

andylaiphoto

Go Kart Champion
The V6 was an auto with sport shift. Pretty lame gearing. I used the 0-60 app and it was a consistent 6.8sec. It definitely felt lighter in the front end. Time elapsed from my turning of the wheel to actual movement of the front end was a tad quicker than the GT. But it felt so much looser.

My GT has the Brembo package but not the track package. From what I've been told it has the GT500 front LCAs and minimally stiffer springs all around. That combined with the low profile Pirellis on 19" wheels makes it feel worlds apart.

andylaiphoto

Go Kart Champion
2 weeks ago I was in the left furthest lane of the service road. I was approaching the intersection to take a left. An additional lane develops to the left of my lane a bit before the intersection allowing for a u-turn lane. A woman was in the u-turn lane and as I approach the light she decides to get out of the u-turn lane into mine. I moved over as much as I could with my hand on the horn. Unfortunately the car to my right was trying to get into my lane as well. I was sandwiched. The car to my left made contact by the car to the right swerved back into their lane. Just dropped my car off at the shop. Shop is run by a buddy of a buddy. They are a certified Audi/VW body shop. Will miss my car as I'm Cruze around in this Chevy rental. It's a lame champagne color with beige interior.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Sorry to hear about accident...

back to the V6 vs V8 talk...
The main issue with the mustang is gearing

The base mustang has something like 2.93 axles vs 3.73 you couple that with +100hp and +100 tq... and of course the difference is huge. In terms of handling it is mostly tires and sway bars... 2" more inches in tire is a huge difference.

And to answer golf vs Gti... apples to oranges but yes... the Golf Wheels are also 2" smaller, it has softer shocks. But the power deficiency stock for stock is smaller...

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
i just started printing the decals "There is a replacement for displacement"..should be real popular with the 4 cylinder turbo mustang guys

I dont think many base mustang owners will know that the tune can make so much power, shit if i want a mustang, id just pull the v8 plunge, 4 cyl turbo with tuned feels like you quit smoking but you get the weird feeling that you dont feel them in your pocket, as theres no cigs. Naturally asparited v8's are more suitable for these cars.

Also sorry for the car op, bad drivers everywhere, had a few close calls from retard drivers here lately, mostly women with suv's