GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TPMS programming

DeepBlue

Ready to race!
Looking to get new tires or wheels soon. While I'm at it, I figured it might be a good idea to swap out the old TPMS's given that they are 10yrs old at this point.

Would new TPMS's be picked up by the car automatically once they are in close proximity or would they need to be programmed? If so, would just any tire shop be able to handle that or would a trip to the dealer be required?

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I *think* it's drive & go...no programming.

An alternative might be just to code them out (turn them off) thru VagCom.
Saves you some money from buying new sensors too.

DeepBlue

Ready to race!
Apparently, it may be possible to update the batteries on TPMS... I'll have to look into that.

I know plenty of guys do this, but I'd hate to turn them off all together. Checking all for 4 tires once in a while is a pain.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Gotcha. Just another, and cheapest, alternative though.

I'm not sure about changing the batteries though. The sensors are filled with a epoxy like material, to seal them off, so the batteries are buried under that stuff & getting it out without damaging anything *might* be tricky.
But you've got nothing to lose trying, except your time.

3carmonte

Gelbrain
Car(s)
2007 GTI DSG Coup
@snobrdrdan
RE: "I'm not sure about changing the batteries though." - I must be mistaken about this. When Firestone said "TPMS service including new stems, caps & Schraders" I put batteries in (my mind) along with it. If they ever fail, I'll delete them as you suggested. I'm constantly checking the air in my tires anyway.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
The battery can be replaced and it costs about $1 for the original sony battery with the correct tabs, but seeing you can purchase a complete new set of TPMS for under $100 not really worth it but when the sensors were selling for $125 each that was a different story.

DeepBlue

Ready to race!
Yep, I was thinking along same lines. The prices for a new set of TPMS's is pretty low these days.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Depending on the year, you can disable the wheel sensors and enable the ABS TPMS...no batteries required, but to reset requires VCDS or wiring up a new button.
That said, I disabled TPMS in both my cars long ago. If you look carefully, you can see the tire wear. I found 38 was too high, and run my tires in the 32-33 psi range.

DeepBlue

Ready to race!
Mine being an '08 is likely too old to switch to ABS tire monitoring. Not sure how to even check into the possibility.