GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

"Top up wash fluid" warning

Ricesteam

Passed Driver's Ed
I drive an 09 GTI.

With the stock fluid from the dealership, I had no problems even in the extreme cold temperature my area has recently experienced. Only problem was the fluid did not clean very well.

So, I decided to use Rain-X (the yellow) stuff. I replaced the stock stuff with the yellow. Works fine. Cleans nice. No warnings for a few days.

Then one cold morning, the warning light flashes on my dashboard. I checked the container, but there's still a good amount of fluid. There is no possible way that I could use up a tank of fluid in the few days unless I was constantly spraying that stuff.

I think to myself, maybe the engine is not warmed up. I commute to work so its a 1 hour drive. Engine should be warm enough. Warning sign still flashes on my dashboard. It was extremely annoying driving all the way to work with that warning flashing in my face.

What is broken? How do I fix?

nintendodude

Banned
Car(s)
Jetta
flashing? my blinker fluid light never flashes.

rockstars

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 Volkswagen GTI
Here's a fix for you! Pop the hood, open it up, and press down firmly on the cap of your washer fluid reservoir. Problem solved.

It doesn't mean that there's anything wrong except that your cap isn't securely fastened!

LMAO

MagicChic

GolfMKV Madame
Car(s)
2006 VW GTI
Here's a fix for you! Pop the hood, open it up, and press down firmly on the cap of your washer fluid reservoir. Problem solved.

It doesn't mean that there's anything wrong except that your cap isn't securely fastened!

LMAO

x2

rockstars

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 Volkswagen GTI
^^I'm sure it has something do do with the fact that it is a pressurized system and the nozzles are heated. It may or may not be something that all Rabbits/GTIs/Jettas do. Not quite sure...

nintendodude

Banned
Car(s)
Jetta
The car detects everything.

funny you say that. whenever I drive over a pothole or have wheel hop from accelerating, I stare anxiously at the cluster... waiting for a "broken wheel" or "snapped axle" light to come on. it never does.

I also stare expectantly when a rock hits my windshield. I though the cluster would at least ask if I was OK.

Ricesteam

Passed Driver's Ed
Ya the lid is shut. I checked before I went to my office. It clicked once when I shut it. Should it click multiple times before i know its really shut???

GTI_Hakeem

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 Tornado Red GTI
Ya the lid is shut. I checked before I went to my office. It clicked once when I shut it. Should it click multiple times before i know its really shut???

The light wont go away until you drive a few miles anyway.

Chris@RT

Banned
The cap does not have a sensor and the system is not pressurized so it has nothing to do with that. They would never put a warning on something like that as it would just cost money to make and waste thousands of dollars and time diagnosing non issues at the dealer.

That being said as per my testing a few weeks ago with similar issues people were having with methanol in there washer bottles and the slight coming on it seems that the fluid is not conductive enough. Distilled water and methanol do not conduct electricity very well at all. The rain X fluid was noted as causing a problem most likely because of the high methanol content and it is probably manufactured with distilled water vs tap water.

I would mix in some tap water even just 5-10% would probably be fine and it should fix it.

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
Hmm, good to know. I was looking into buying some of the Rain-X stuff

UMassJ77

JawnY
Car(s)
MKV GTI DSG
I use Rain-X the ORANGE BOTTLE religiously and I have never gotten the "Top washer fluid", unless i really need too refill it.