GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Too Hot?

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
I also notice an extremely quick heat up. I don't notice the heat in the cabin as much as I notice the gage visibly rising. I have owned previous GTIs and not had this. My last car was an Audi A4 and on some days here in Minneapolis it would be 15 minutes before I could turn the heater on without getting frostbitten air through the vents. I guess in summary this is something new to me(the quick heat up) but I guess sounds to be somewhat normal. I have 6M by the way.

plac

GTI Master
i notice a very long warm up. its been 50C-60C average each morning. And my gauge doesnt hit the middle for 6-8 mins. DSG.

jesterjay

Drag Racing Champion
My 98 2.0 Golf k2 would take forever...maybe it is the DSG. Again this morning...5 minutes til 190.....but never went at all past the middle.

feuerdog

Touring Car Newbie
There is a setting that can be switched with a Vag-Com for Auxilary Cabin Heat.

With all of the inconsistent settings coming from Wolfsburg they may have left yours enabled for some reason. Most people should NOT have this feature enabled. Take it to your dealer and ask them to fix(disable) it.

Check the Vag-Com forum of the Vortex for more info.

excal06

Autocross Champion
Mine take about 12 minutes to warm up to 190, I have 6MT

bondstreet

Ready to race!
I had the same problem with the cockpit heating up. What I did is put the heat level all the way to cold. That worked because even with the fan speed off you will still get heat since it was set on hi heat.

jesterjay

Drag Racing Champion
I think I noticed it stop after I put the air on...and then shut everything off. I have package 2 so I don't have the ease of just turning the knob to cool...and then just turning the fan off. Once I turn the fan all the way down...the system shuts off. But I think turning it to low for a few minutes, and then shutting off, has stopped it

Horizon

Drag Race Newbie
bondstreet said:
I had the same problem with the cockpit heating up. What I did is put the heat level all the way to cold. That worked because even with the fan speed off you will still get heat since it was set on hi heat.

I think this may be because you possibly have the air circulation on vent, instead of re-circulate? My car does the same thing when I have it on vent ('95 Honda)... even though the knob is set to the off position, I still get a trickle of hot/cold air from the vents, unless I turn the air on re-circulate. Then the system shuts off completely.

I believe it's some kind of feature (for lack of a better term), as most vehicles I've ridden in have it the same way.

Can anyone confirm if the GTI does what I'm saying it might be doing?

jesterjay

Drag Racing Champion
In my previous car, I would tun the knob to hot or cold with the fan knob on off...and it would either have hot or cold air still coming out of the vents...it just depended on where I had the temp knob at. It wouldn't be blowing out as the fan was off, but it would still trickle out. The reason I was confused in the beginning is with the package #2, I either have the system on or off. So I put the air on, and then shut the system off and now the air that is coming out seems cold rather than before...and before I had shut the system down on hot. Confusing to write, but I hope you guys know what I mean.