GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

todays experience..

joel0924

Ready to race!
well today i was driving a 2006 BMW 330i, sport and premium package all day. great car, handles well, amazing brakes (stock) and good amount of power. the car is completly stock! just under 20,000 miles on it. i started thinking, the price on this car and my mk6 is completly different. i believe the bmw was about $40,000+. my gti was about $27,000. the bmw takes it in power but look at the price diff, with a couple grand we can mod our gtis and smoke bmws lol. the interior quality on the mk6 is better in my opinion and our gtis handle and feel a lot smoother. the bmw was very stiff and the stiring wheel had no grip and i needed about 50 pounds of muscle to turn it lol (exagarrated a bit). bottom line is that ill stick to my gti anyday! i missed it today, i couldnt get to drive it today. my poor baby was in the garage all day, lol. cant wait to take it out tomorrow.

just thought id share this with anyone interested or bored lol
:thumbup:

LittleJohny

Go Kart Champion
well today i was driving a 2006 BMW 330i, sport and premium package all day. great car, handles well, amazing brakes (stock) and good amount of power. the car is completly stock! just under 20,000 miles on it. i started thinking, the price on this car and my mk6 is completly different. i believe the bmw was about $40,000+. my gti was about $27,000. the bmw takes it in power but look at the price diff, with a couple grand we can mod our gtis and smoke bmws lol. the interior quality on the mk6 is better in my opinion and our gtis handle and feel a lot smoother. the bmw was very stiff and the stiring wheel had no grip and i needed about 50 pounds of muscle to turn it lol (exagarrated a bit). bottom line is that ill stick to my gti anyday! i missed it today, i couldnt get to drive it today. my poor baby was in the garage all day, lol. cant wait to take it out tomorrow.

just thought id share this with anyone interested or bored lol
:thumbup:

You said it yourself.. the BMW WAS worth about 40k... it's not worth about the same (most likely less) than your 27k. Therefore you are spending "a couple grand" to beat a car that is likely cheaper than yours... so really you're not winning at all.

It's like saying your car is faster than a Ferrari from the 60s... doesn't mean your car is that amazing... it just means technology has advanced since then.

And I actually prefer a steering wheel that takes a lot of muscle to turn... feels much better at speed (which is what it's designed for)

Stadpad

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2011 VW GTI
the new idrive is so damn nice, its just not a bimmer if without idrive. i kinda like the new robo shifter on the 5 series autos. and the new bimmers are built so expensive now days, but worth the money.

joel0924

Ready to race!
Hey don't get me wrong, bmws are great cars. Better than ours if anything lol. And come on, bmws are so much more expensive cause of the technology and all that, features, designs. Shit I'd take an e92 anyday but since I'm on a budget I went with the gti and I'm more than happy with it.

And littlejohny; no matter what the year, the only thing that matters is what's under the hood. I've seen little rice maker civics 10 years older than our cars smoke gtis lol. What's under the hood talks! This is my opinion tho, it's okay for everyone to have their own.:thumbsup:

joel0924

Ready to race!
the new idrive is so damn nice, its just not a bimmer if without idrive. i kinda like the new robo shifter on the 5 series autos. and the new bimmers are built so expensive now days, but worth the money.

idrive is awesome, looks cool and easy to use. Vw should have something like that lol

Volkswagging

Don't Hate, Inseminate
learned to drive in an 08 E90 335i and I have similar feelings. handles well and great power, but it just didn't feel right to me. throttle tip in was atrocious (it was nearly impossible to smoothly get off the line: start lightly tipping in and the speed picks up a little bit, but then you reach a certain point where the boost kicks in or something and it jerks forward). not a transmission problem either, it was legitimately just the fact that it couldn't accelerate very smoothly. i also personally disliked the steering heft. i get it: good for higher speeds, but it was just WAY too heavy. finally, i thought the brake pedal feel was atrocious just like the throttle tip in. it had this huge dead range: push a little bit and you get an initial bite, then you hit this dead range where you continue to push and you can feel no noticeable difference in braking, and then it will hit another point where the added pedal input actually does something and it jerks to a stop.

BMW has clearly moved forward though, since the 2011 135i convertible I've driven several times recently doesn't have any of these issues. It just stuns me that the E9x was instantly given awards and considered the best car in its class, because I thought it had none of that "BMW" driving feel. Everything driving-wise about it felt artificial, pudgy, or unrefined.

edit: added my funny iDrive pic to my sig, but why the hell is this forum making it so small?

Last edited:

LittleJohny

Go Kart Champion
And littlejohny; no matter what the year, the only thing that matters is what's under the hood. I've seen little rice maker civics 10 years older than our cars smoke gtis lol. What's under the hood talks! This is my opinion tho, it's okay for everyone to have their own.:thumbsup:

I see what you're saying, but you're taking it a bit out of context.

A 10 year old ricer civic is respectable to some degree because the owner put in a lot to make it more powerful than your GTI. But a newer car being faster than an older car is simple because technology has advanced, plus the wear and tear on the older engine.

According to your logic... give yourself a pat on the back, because I'm sure there are many old Ferraris, Lamborghinis, BMW, Audi, etc. which your brand new GTI is faster than :)