Votes: 29 56.9%
  • Buy the MK7.

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • Your opinion, explain below.

Votes: 5 9.8%

• Total voters

Rickyfinch

Passed Driver's Ed
I'll soon have my 2008 MKV GTI paid off and a soon raise in income opens a few things up for me.
The 2008 has DSG, leather, 4 doors and moon roof. All in all its in great shape.

Option 1) Take my current 92,000 mile MKV GTI and upgrade to the Ko4 with all the supporting fun as well as some tasteful cosmetic upgrades and maybe some new paint.

Option 2) Put my MKV up for sale and buy a MK7 performance pack with the DSG. 28-32k :-(

Option 3) ???

Let me know what you think,

Thanks!

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
Keep the car, Fuck a car payment skip KO4 go gt30

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
The last thing I'd want to do after getting rid of car payments is start all over again. You'll finally own your car, enjoy it.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Put the ($400 to $500)/month into the MK5...that's what I would do. What am I saying...that is what I do :yikes:

Jose? What's wrong with a K04? LOL ... There's a guy in our Tuner Club with an EVO X and says he dyno'd 450awhp when tuned, but he cannot keep up with me whenever we go on a run and we do pulls against each other. He doesn't fall far away, but the distance gradually increases. Frustrates the H3LL out of him. When we reach our destination he says "you're the only one that gives me trouble" and he does a :iono:

But for a daily driver with payments...a MK7 with tune, intake, and DP is impressive power...290 to 320hp and 340 to 360lb*ft is nothing to sneeze at.

Last edited:

Rickyfinch

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah, that's what I'm leaning towards, hell maybe I'll look into the Frankenturbo F23T.

The only part that makes me sad is my wife is about to get a Explorer, I am making her get the Sport. That turbo 3.5 AWD with a tune will probably smoke my MKV with a Ko4. Lol..

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Yeah, that's what I'm leaning towards, hell maybe I'll look into the Frankenturbo F23T.

The only part that makes me sad is my wife is about to get a Explorer, I am making her get the Sport. That turbo 3.5 AWD with a tune will probably smoke my MKV with a Ko4. Lol..

I have had many cars, many faster than my MKV GTI K04 but really none of them more fun or practical. Build up your MKV and you will not be dissappointed. Also, the Explorer with a tune won't be anywhere close to your K04 GTI. With a tune that motor probably makes less power than a K04 with an aggressive tune. And the Explorer weighs about 1400 lbs more than a GTI.

Go the K04 route with the MKV if you like to work on your own car. Go the MK7 with a tune if you want K04ish power without having to wrench on your car.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI

The tuned Exploder has no chance of beating your MK5 with a K04 done right. If you don't think a K04 will satisfy and you think the Exploder will beat your MK5 with a K04...you should get a pair of Exploder's, his and her's. LOL

I think most would choose keeping and building over another purchase, but many these days always have to have new along with a lifelong payment.

Rickyfinch

Passed Driver's Ed
There's a local guy that has the ecoboost explorer and with only a tuner he is running 8.43 in the 1/8 mile. That's ridiculously quick for what it is. However a Ko4 GTI should be fun as hell.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
It'll launch quickly bcuz awd...but you'll trap a higher mph and pass them before the 1/4 line. Add slicks and you'll never see their back end. Plus, the higher speed you go the more gap you put on it.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Is the MK5 your DD? If yes go MK7 with a stage 1 tune, if not have fun with the MK5.

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion
Okay so I've had a K04 MK5 and I now have a JB1 MK7, so I think I'm in a pretty good place to give my opinion on this :p Haha. Also let me preface this with the obvious: You are on a MK5 forum, of course opinions will be biased towards the MK5. Head over to the MK7 boards and opinions will be equally biased towards the MK7's favor.

Just for reference I have a Base 2016 GTI 6MT S and I had a Base 2007 GTI 6MT. Anyways here's some things that I have found between the two:

1. The MK7 is a better car in every possible quantifiable way. It is lighter, faster, very tunable, a nicer place to be inside, it handles better (More on that later), and it is easier to work on (More on that later).
2. The MK7 so far has undefeatable electronic nannies like torque management and ASR traction control. (A big negative)
3. The MK5 gave me more "fizz". That unexplainable feeling that makes you really enjoy driving a car. It feels more raw and unrefined than the MK7. The mods I had could have had a large effect on this.
4. The MK7 is MUCH more maintenance friendly. It is a joy to work on. DP is V-banded, cleaning valves can be done start to finish in less than an hour, everything is more accessible etc.
5. The MK7 handles quite a bit better stock for stock. It rotates much better than the MK5 and even without the LSD I feel like corner exit speed is a good bit higher.
6. The PP is probably the best option that has ever been offered on a VW to date. They give you an LSD and the R brakes for only a small amount. The R brakes with the new GTI's weight put the PP GTI in a braking bracket shared by some SERIOUS performance cars. Coupled with some race pads and fluid, I think you would have a real track weapon.
7. It is a new car with new car features and warranty. Bluetooth calling works great and is genuinely one of the best things I have ever had in a car. I can literally leave work early, and call into meetings while wasting no time and not being unsafe to those around me. Even with the windows down people can hear me loud and clear. In fact, I have never ever had a single person ask if I was in the car while using it.
8. For some reason the MK7 seems to heat up amazingly fast. It is brilliant. Along with the heated seats that will light your ass on fire.
9. The MK5 felt a bit more capable during winter. This could be due to the extra weight over the front axles.
10. Fit and finish is great on both but the MK7 is a huge upgrade over the MK6 interior, and a small upgrade over the mk5 interior. You seriously have to look very hard to find any hard plastic. There is a strip of plastic on the doors, but that is it. All touchable's are fantastic quality. NVH is low and road noise is lower than the MK5.
11. MK7's are crazy tunable. With the new revisions of tunes coming out, stage 2 with literally just a downpipe and a tune are putting down an average of 315-320 whp. There's a dyno of one putting down 340whp and 394wtq with just a catless DP and tune. Stock airbox. That is absurd.

I can go on for days but I'll spare you. If you have any questions ask here or PM me. (I used to test drive cars at FCA so I am extremely keen on the details). Now here's my actual opinion: I would wait. If I were you and you are capable of doing the work yourself than go K04 on your MK5 for a while and buy a MK7 after you've had your fun. The price depreciation on MK7's right now is CRAZY. I'm assuming this is because of dieselgate. My 2016 is worth about $6,000 less than I bought it for 3 MONTHS AGO. That is unheard of depreciation rates. It may be worth it to buy a pre-owned MK7 and let someone else take the initial value hit. Keep in mind you want a 2016 since it has the MIBII infotainment system w/ apple car play. I love my MK7, but I appreciate my MK5 even more now for it's flaws that gave it character. The MK7 is perfect, too perfect and that's why I don't get the same "fizz" feeling about it. Shoot me any questions you have. Cheers.

TDLR: K04 the MKV, drive it for a while, part it out, buy a certified used MK7. And get a manual for god sakes ;)

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
Someone brought a Mk7 PP to autocross a couple times last season, bone stock it was destroying MkV's left and right. With all the electronic aids those things are seriously quick relative to the MkV.

Even if an Explorer can outrun a MkV I'd still rather be in the VW. Old cars will always be at a disadvantage. Today's minivans are quicker than supercars were 20-30 years ago but given the choice we'd probably all take the supercars, numbers don't mean nearly as much as people pretend they do.

Personally I always lean towards keeping a car because screw car payments. I'll take owning something over paying for the privilege of borrowing money any day.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Okay so ......
No please...do go on. I was thoroughly enjoying the read! :thumbsup:

The MK7 is great in many ways...with some limitations.
Mk7>MK5>MK3<MK1... LOL
Is it great enough to validate a switch from a MK5 build to more payments? :iono: Not for me.

We may all be expending more energy than what may be spent on the final decision here. One response stating "your choice" would've sufficed.