GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

To DSG or not to DSG…?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Someone earlier said they don't even realize that they are driving a manual in traffic, and apparently supplement the time spent in-between stopping and going with playing on their phone.

I've had a manual tranny as my daily before and trust me, you can tell you are driving it. The muscles in my left thigh were bigger than my right. Anyone who sits in real rush hour traffic would understand. Not just the occasional jam.
Yep. My '92 Toyota 4x4 truck w/a 5-spd broke me on the DC beltway when I moved there. I sold it after living near DC for 4 Mos. Just wasn't worth it to me - there is zero joy in that for me. Got my '00 Cherokee (XJ) with an auto after that.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
It was a great car. It the only car I've ever owned that I regret selling.

I owned it from new for 10 years. It died after a garbage truck hit it in Naples Italy. RIP.

I don't think I would have every sold it.

I regret selling my 05 STi.

I like my current GTI almost as much of those two.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
It was a great car. It the only car I've ever owned that I regret selling.
I remember looking at the Corrados when they were new in the early '90s and being blown away that you could have a 6-cylinder in it. Such cool cars.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I remember looking at the Corrados when they were new in the early '90s and being blown away that you could have a 6-cylinder in it. Such cool cars.

That wasn't even the best part. Someone locked the lawyers in a closet, and let the engineers loose with the suspension tuning. Lift throttle oversteer on command.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
I’ve commuted in Bay Area traffic for years with manuals. I actually don’t like automatics in traffic as I hate the creeping forward they do off brake. I also found it a lot easier to just leave a manual car in first and just roll along with a larger gap in front.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
A lot of members with significant overcompensation issues. I have a friend who tries to assert manuals are the only thing. He’s 72 so there’s little hope for redemption. My standard rejoinder is; “That‘s adorable. When you buy me a car it can be a manual.” Absent someone buying a car for me, it’s just an opinion. And you know what those are like.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I do enjoy manuals, I've never had an automatic as my personal car. If I buy a mk8 R, it will be a DSG.

Sorry, not sorry.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
It's the cost of the clutch, that's the only reason I'd even come to remotely considering it. But even as I type this I shudder - "try it, just the tip, just to see if it feels good". What did Chris Rock say, you can build a thousand bridges in your life and suck one dick - you will forever be known as a dick sucker and not a bridge builder. Kinda the same with auto tranny's.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
It's the cost of the clutch, that's the only reason I'd even come to remotely considering it. But even as I type this I shudder - "try it, just the tip, just to see if it feels good". What did Chris Rock say, you can build a thousand bridges in your life and suck one dick - you will forever be known as a dick sucker and not a bridge builder. Kinda the same with auto tranny's.

New vs new the DSG is $1k more and a TCU tune is another ~$700, which is about the price of a clutch. The price argument never made sense to me.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
New vs new the DSG is $1k more and a TCU tune is another ~$700, which is about the price of a clutch. The price argument never made sense to me.
Plus install. And new, most people finance so it's a few more bucks a month. I did my clutch in Feb, it was just over 3K CAD - I could have bought a MK4 for that money.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Mk4's going for $8k in this market.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie

And right there is one of the stupidest reasons to drive a manual.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
And then you have DSG maintenance every 40K (DIY is ~$150 or so or ~$3-400 for a dealer/shop) where sticks are essentially a zero there. Manual oil changes are so easy/cheap. My son has a buddy who had a HD clutch put in his tuned A4 at the shop I use and I believe all in with install it was a few grand so it's close for sure vs. the additional premium for the DSG up front plus the tune.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
And a well timed hand brake turn drops those panties.

Don't DSG's have the little electic hand brake button? Poor DSG guys and gals are never getting laid.
She probably dropped the panties because she pissed herself when you scared her with the hand brake turn. My 18 SE DSG has a hand brake.