GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

To DSG or not to DSG…?

Blueballs

Go Kart Newbie
I have the PP brakes. You asked what the differences are.
I'm confused lol. The brakes are the same on the 7 and 7.5 given their trim levels. That's why I said why buy 7.5 if you basically already own one with your 7?

Oh, and I never asked what the differences were. It stated, never asked lol

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Real talk.
Prior daily driver is a unicorn.
A 5spd manual 5th gen Camry.
As soon as ANYONE found out, jaws dropped. People gathered around and they all stared in disbelief.
Can confirm that panties dropped while I drove that car and now I have 2 kids.
I still have the car. I let the wife peek inside whenever I want instant action.

Currently teaching my son how to drive it and due to him having a manual transmission car I've had to have "the talk" with him several times.
Not ready to be a grandfather just yet.

Maybe I should get him a DSG car.
DSG cars are automatic sausage fests.
Just a bunch of dudes talking about exhaust farts and leaky sunroofs.

So you can get their panties off, just can't get them wet? Makes sense.
I guess. My wife doesn't seem to mind but we can/do both drive a stick so there's that.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
No joke, I used to be super anti automatic transmission. Our 01 A4 Avant and 05 Outback were both manual trans. Thankfully, I had a vasectomy, otherwise I'd have 10 kids.

I've relented in recent years because it's almost impossible to find a manual in family cars. My wife's current Outback has a CVT. I feel dirty, cheap, and full of shame after driving it, so I can sympathize with DSG drivers self loathing and shame.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I love how some MK7 guys are so die hard about having a manual, when the manual in the MK7 isn't even good.

I could at least understand the argument for passing up the DSG to drive a brilliant manual. I wouldn't pass up a filet mignon for a ribeye, but I get it. Driving a manual MK7, you're passing up a filet mignon for Spam.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I love how some MK7 guys are so die hard about having a manual, when the manual in the MK7 isn't even good.

I could at least understand the argument for passing up the DSG to drive a brilliant manual. I wouldn't pass up a filet mignon for a ribeye, but I get it. Driving a manual MK7, you're passing up a filet mignon for Spam.

Maybe Mk7 manual drivers identify as Hawaiian? Think, Hoon. Think.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
No joke, I used to be super anti automatic transmission. Our 01 A4 Avant and 05 Outback were both manual trans. Thankfully, I had a vasectomy, otherwise I'd have 10 kids.

I've relented in recent years because it's almost impossible to find a manual in family cars. My wife's current Outback has a CVT. I feel dirty, cheap, and full of shame after driving it, so I can sympathize with DSG drivers self loathing and shame.
I drove 3 of my cars today - the W8 wagon (auto), the manual Focus, and then my DSG Sportwagen so I had the optimum opportunity for all of this self-loathing/shame bit. Enjoyed each one. The Auto in the Passat is pretty bad to be fair, old-school slow-shifting auto but when the Wookie howl is unleashed out of that 4.0 through the twin glasspacks, I don't give a shit that I didn't pay $22K for the pristine 1 of 95 manual W8 wagons that just went on Cars and Bids...love that car auto an all.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I drove 3 of my cars today - the W8 wagon (auto), the manual Focus, and then my DSG Sportwagen so I had the optimum opportunity for all of this self-loathing/shame bit. Enjoyed each one. The Auto in the Passat is pretty bad to be fair, old-school slow-shifting auto but when the Wookie howl is unleashed out of that 4.0 through the twin glasspacks, I don't give a shit that I didn't pay $22K for the pristine 1 of 95 manual W8 wagons that just went on Cars and Bids...love that car auto an all.

I feel like this thread has turned into a therapy session. I think this is the part where I say "And how does that make you feel"?

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
The thought of, should I have got dsg instead, seems to be in the back of my mind quite a bit. I don't think it's something I could answer definitively without months of driving one. I'm driving a corvette today that shuts off 4 cylinders and has flappy paddles. It might be about as quick as my R, but as a car enthusiast it does nothing for me. It's not that 1 transmission is "better" than the other. It's just that the only time I'd really enjoy DSG over a manual is when it's being launched and WOT in lower gears, as far as I'm concerned that's the only time the DSG is the better option. That's gotta be less than 1% of my driving though, and I don't drag race or do anything competitive with my car, so I picked the manual, the transmission that I know I can enjoy on every drive no matter what's going on.

On the other hand...my grandpa has the same corvette in a manual and I'm honestly not sure I could even drive that car in a manual. I'm just too tall to be comfortable and my long legs don't fit under the dash right. Seems like it'd be kind of awkward using a clutch in the vette. I feel like if I crashed in this car I'd end up losing my legs. I actually hate driving this thing and sitting in it though, I don't see the appeal. Looks cool from the outside, but the inside is old and vintage and everything feels extremely cramped. Also can't see shit in my blindspots.

I'm still not quite ready to give up on manuals just yet, but that day might come with my next car...which is still pretty far away.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
I'm confused lol. The brakes are the same on the 7 and 7.5 given their trim levels. That's why I said why buy 7.5 if you basically already own one with your 7?

Oh, and I never asked what the differences were. It stated, never asked lol

2019's got the PP brakes across the board.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT

It feels pretty good after a shifter and some free clutch mods.