GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

To DSG or not to DSG…?

Unreal1

Autocross Champion
there will never be a common ground on this topic... ever. I’ve driven manual in almost every MK XX GTI over 30 years and this is my first DSG. Added power and the joy of driving it crushes every manual I’ve ever had (minus my old WRX)...love the drive....I don’t miss shifting sitting in 2 hours of traffic a day AT ALL.

at the end of the day, it’s all subjective to each person

Absolutely. My only issue are the people who try to justify their decision by spreading BS.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Add a VR6 with a magnaflow and those crisp, plaid seats will never be the same again.

The transmission in my Corrado VR6 felt like a plunger stuck to the floor. I loved that car, but the shifter makes the mk7 shifter feel like a precision piece of engineering.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
there will never be a common ground on this topic... ever. I’ve driven manual in almost every MK XX GTI over 30 years and this is my first DSG. Added power and the joy of driving it crushes every manual I’ve ever had (minus my old WRX)...love the drive....I don’t miss shifting sitting in 2 hours of traffic a day AT ALL.

at the end of the day, it’s all subjective to each person

Agreed.

Like I said before, I was a manual purest till my DSG R. Love it, crushes every manual. Ripping through gears that fast is fantastic. There is the subjective aspect of the equation, but then there are facts. Like the DSG is faster and doesn't have to be upgraded if you add more power. Hate to even think about pulling the tranny on a next to new car just to upgrade a clutch. Crazy to me.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
here's the real problem

Someone earlier said they don't even realize that they are driving a manual in traffic, and apparently supplement the time spent in-between stopping and going with playing on their phone.

I've had a manual tranny as my daily before and trust me, you can tell you are driving it. The muscles in my left thigh were bigger than my right. Anyone who sits in real rush hour traffic would understand. Not just the occasional jam.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Someone earlier said they don't even realize that they are driving a manual in traffic, and apparently supplement the time spent in-between stopping and going with playing on their phone.

I've had a manual tranny as my daily before and trust me, you can tell you are driving it. The muscles in my left thigh were bigger than my right. Anyone who sits in real rush hour traffic would understand. Not just the occasional jam.
This... has a stage 3 clutch in my WRX..I swear my left thigh was more built than my right LOL

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
The transmission in my Corrado VR6 felt like a plunger stuck to the floor. I loved that car, but the shifter makes the mk7 shifter feel like a precision piece of engineering.
The real expense of owning a VR6 Corrado must’ve been the multiple child support checks.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3

The throws in the Corrado trans was like rowing a boat. They were really long.