GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

To DSG or not to DSG…?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Pretty sure the GTI outsells all Golfs in the US, which is why VW discontinued all regular model Golfs in the US, and only kept the GTI\R.
You're right. It didn't use to be that way until the last several years. The dealer where I got my GTI at still has 3 regular Golf's they haven't been able to sell. The people who bought the regular Golf have moved on to SUV 's.

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
You're right. It didn't use to be that way until the last several years. The dealer where I got my GTI at still has 3 regular Golf's they haven't been able to sell. The people who bought the regular Golf have moved on to SUV 's.
The station wagons and hatchbacks are to Sweden what trucks and SUVs are to the US lol

Blueballs

Go Kart Newbie
Drive what you like but it is strange hearing that manuals have better resale when it is the opposite in Sweden even with how rare manual MK7 GTI/R are here. Probably something to do with Americans thinking of manuals as sporty and special when Europeans does that for DCT transmissions.

But as an DSG GTI owner my biggest issue with it is the gearing, 4th is way to tall to the point that it is not really faster than a manual or R when it would be if it had the shorter gearing like the Clubsport, Cupra or TCR.
Yes, here in the USA, manuals are becoming extinct, and those who can drive manual are becoming a lot less, so for those two reason, and apply supply and demand, the demand of a good sports car that is manual is going up because the amount of cars that are that are low, so if you have one, and someone wants it (demand), then the price will go up.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Although this topic has been done to death since time began.... I'll play....

When I got my DSG I was a little disappointed at first I hadn't been able to find a manual (but it was a 5k like new trade in at a Toyota dealer who clearly just wanted rid of it - very good prize had to grab it). Found the stock dsg laggy and luggy both, felt a bit asleep especially in D mode and S seems to hang on too much all the time. Hesitation off the line was the worst of it for me.

However, when I got tuned (APR+ both ECU and TCU), things improved no end and I actually started to like the box, moreso on hearing about the chocolate clutch in the manual etc.

Sure, as a die hard manual guy Id say I still miss the involvement (and the paddle shifting just doesn't do it for me as much as I've tried - it's just not the same as properly rowing your own). However on the plus side, I think the ability to tune a fair amount with no Ill effects, the fact that the DSG care is undeniably faster (and drives much better after a TCU tune) makes up for that and I'm now pleased I have it.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
DSG costs $1K more than the 6MT. Resale value in general can’t be the opposite.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Not sure if this an apples to apples...but when I was looking for my A3 (2008) I was specifically looking for a manual. I didn't notice any real differences in prices when looking at the manual vs the DSG. After some looking...I did find a manual with some fairly low miles.

As for my Mk7...I knew I wanted the DSG...since I was buying new.

echelonphoto

Ready to race!
In looking for my first GTI I have been holding out for a 6MT, but have noticed the DSGs are trading at $1-3k less than MTs.

Curious if others have had the debate and made the choice to switch based on availability and price? especially in this current market, seems everything it trading at a premium.
Having driven stick cars almost exclusively for 50 years, I am now driving a 17 se with dsg. I have in recent years alway driven a late model corvette six speed...had 7 corvettes in the last 10 years. The last corvette I had was a grand sport with an auto transmission and paddle shifters. It made me a believer...the car always felt faster and easier to get going than any of the manual cars, plus driving in traffic was now tolerable. I was a die hard manual guy, even to the point of having a highly tuned 700hp vette with a dual disc clutch, which took great skill to launch smoothlly and a very strong left leg. I enjoy my dsg vw every day and never tire of the the easy acceleration a dsg affords me. Running with a jb4 only...i do not miss the corvettes.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
In looking for my first GTI I have been holding out for a 6MT, but have noticed the DSGs are trading at $1-3k less than MTs.
First off, nobody can explain used car prices right now, our economy is playing crash bingo. After having my 6MT for nearly two years, I can say I am over the phase and wish I would have went with DSG. If you are looking for a used car specifically, a DSG gives you the peace of mind of knowing some kid didn't money shift it, wreck the clutch, or hoon around town at 5500 RPM. I guess you could still do those things in a DSG, but I would argue it's less likely.

The DSG appears to be smoother and faster, and will give you a chance against the 10 speed evolution of street-racing cars that are all over the streets today. The 6MT clutch will need to be replaced some time after you go stage 1. The DSG stock clutch pack tends to hold up for a while longer. The only thing you will be dealing with is the DSG service, which will run you a pretty penny if you don't have the means to do it yourself, or a private mechanic that you are good friends with.

Still, at the end of the day it's going to come down to what you want. If you need the interaction of a manual transmission, what can anyone say that will change your mind? Make sure you pick out a stage 3 clutch ahead of time.

edit: I just finished my full short shifter setup and may have completely changed my opinion on this.

Last edited:

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
To me, the only downside of a manual VW is the cost of clutch - its expensive as shit. But once you get a Stage 3 Southbend, and yes, that's the only clutch to get for these cars - cry in front of the mirror for a day or so due to cost and install, it becomes an amazing automobile. I will keep this GTI for another 3 years or so, it is a 2016. After it, I will get another MK7.5 and swap all the parts over to it, it is the perfect car for me and I'm the type that sticks with what works. Whether my next car is a DSG, I don't know - the only reason why I would say maybe is that clutch cost and install. It's literally like $3000 CAD.

Blueballs

Go Kart Newbie
To me, the only downside of a manual VW is the cost of clutch - its expensive as shit. But once you get a Stage 3 Southbend, and yes, that's the only clutch to get for these cars - cry in front of the mirror for a day or so due to cost and install, it becomes an amazing automobile. I will keep this GTI for another 3 years or so, it is a 2016. After it, I will get another MK7.5 and swap all the parts over to it, it is the perfect car for me and I'm the type that sticks with what works. Whether my next car is a DSG, I don't know - the only reason why I would say maybe is that clutch cost and install. It's literally like $3000 CAD.
I’m just curious as to why you would sell your MK7 for a 7.5? It’s literally the same car except for some aesthetic and touchscreen. Would be a big waste of $$ to me, but that’s just me.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I’m just curious as to why you would sell your MK7 for a 7.5? It’s literally the same car except for some aesthetic and touchscreen. Would be a big waste of $$ to me, but that’s just me.
Maybe he doesn’t like the way the mk8 looks?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
And the PP brakes.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
When it gets to 200K KM's, I don't keep my cars past that. And I love the car, nothing new that has come out has impressed me and I can just change all my aftermarket parts and put it on the new one. It's actually a big savings, the way that I look at it. Grab like a CPO'ed 2020/2021 in 2024ish.

Blueballs

Go Kart Newbie
When it gets to 200K KM's, I don't keep my cars past that. And I love the car, nothing new that has come out has impressed me and I can just change all my aftermarket parts and put it on the new one. It's actually a big savings, the way that I look at it. Grab like a CPO'ed 2020/2021 in 2024ish.
Gotcha. That makes sense if you don’t keep your cars past a certain mileage.