GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Titanium vs Stainless Steel

Moosecakes

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
This isn't a thread asking what I should buy for my exhaust tubing. I'm interested to see what kind of experiences you (if any of you have had) on titanium exhausts vs traditional stainless ones.

I'm going to be custom fabbing an entire turbo back exhaust from grade 2 titanium. It's going to be 2.75" OD (can't get 3" unless I want to special order and that triples the prices) .090 wall thickness. No cats, no res, no muffler nothing. Full Titanium straight pipe.

I can get all the material I need for $500 shipped. I know stainless is 1/2 the price but I don't care. The resonance of titanium and the weight difference is worth the extra $250 to me. And regardless you can't get a GOOD TBE for under $1k it seems. So either way I win.

Whats great about this too, is a simple flange change at the turbo and I'm ready for my Gt3071r when that time comes :thumbsup: And the grand I save buys me the turbo almost! All the fab work will be done by myself and my dad since welding is about as easy as changing oil to him lol. I'm not quite sure when I'll start this project but soon I hope, by the end of next month I want to have all the materials and the few bends I need made ready to get to welding.

So what do you guys think? Sounds kinda like a pointless thread but it seems like a good conversation piece.

Perhaps this could turn into something I could offer to a few people one of these days since we will be building a jig as we go so reproduction will be cake.

:23:

MKV727

Go Kart Champion
This isn't a thread asking what I should buy for my exhaust tubing. I'm interested to see what kind of experiences you (if any of you have had) on titanium exhausts vs traditional stainless ones.

I'm going to be custom fabbing an entire turbo back exhaust from grade 2 titanium. It's going to be 2.75" OD (can't get 3" unless I want to special order and that triples the prices) .090 wall thickness. No cats, no res, no muffler nothing. Full Titanium straight pipe.

I can get all the material I need for $500 shipped. I know stainless is 1/2 the price but I don't care. The resonance of titanium and the weight difference is worth the extra $250 to me. And regardless you can't get a GOOD TBE for under $1k it seems. So either way I win.

Whats great about this too, is a simple flange change at the turbo and I'm ready for my Gt3071r when that time comes :thumbsup: And the grand I save buys me the turbo almost! All the fab work will be done by myself and my dad since welding is about as easy as changing oil to him lol. I'm not quite sure when I'll start this project but soon I hope, by the end of next month I want to have all the materials and the few bends I need made ready to get to welding.

So what do you guys think? Sounds kinda like a pointless thread but it seems like a good conversation piece.

Perhaps this could turn into something I could offer to a few people one of these days since we will be building a jig as we go so reproduction will be cake.

:23:

Add a Vibrant resonator and a HJS cat and it'll be something I'd drool over.

Moosecakes

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I've considered a resonator, but a cat, absolutely not. I don't know if vibrant offers a titanium resonator? It could be done even if it's stainless im going to be machining all the clamps on a mill since I don't care to source 1/4" titanium rods to make hangers. I will also have to build a clamp for the flex tube since I cannot for the life of me find a 2.75" one in titanium. If anyone can I'll send you a thank you note :thumbsup:

07GTI-2.0T

Go Kart Champion
Do any exotics use titanium exhaust? I ask because given the high end nature of exotic cars if titanium exhaust aren't available even via aftermarket ( given the known weight savings and durability) there must be some major downside as to why NO ONE makes any.

Moosecakes

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Due to how thin titanium it will be loud as fuck, unbearably loud especially since your not running a muffler..

Your car tho

Typical stainless steel exhausts are .063 wall thickness im going to be .027 thousands thicker.. so it's not going to be thinner. If it's ungodly loud then it'll take me a half hour to put a muffler or resonator in it. I'm not worried about that at all. Thanks though.

Do any exotics use titanium exhaust? I ask because given the high end nature of exotic cars if titanium exhaust aren't available even via aftermarket ( given the known weight savings and durability) there must be some major downside as to why NO ONE makes any.

As below yea, zonda's are full titanium, many GTR, porsche, ferrari exhaust's can be found in titanium. GTR's being the most abundant. There is one local running a full Ti exhaust with only a resonator and omfg the sound is beautiful.

I think the pagani zonda uses a titanium exhaust. I may be wrong though.

:thumbsup: greatest car ever built.

Ecast31

Ready to race!
subd for results. Though it might be some what expensive for some. You're able to attain weight savings and possibly a roarish sound.

Moosecakes

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I'll definitely have a video up as soon as it's done. I'm hoping to get the tubing middle to end of this month. Depending on how things go. It'll take me a few to fab it up since I work basically 7 days a week lol. Finding the time to pull my existing setup off, and copy it is gonna be the tough part.

I wish I could get a stock setup to copy all the bends and shit without removing my exhaust but that's out of the cards. It should only take a day or two to build, I can machine the clamps and shit ahead of time since I know the OD of the tube and how many i'll need, once I get the tubing it's a matter of getting 3 90* bends, and 2 45*'s done then start welding shit together.

I'll keep you all updated as I progress.

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
Forge had one made for one of their cars, think it was a TTRS though
can't remember if the thread was on here or vortex though

MKV727

Go Kart Champion
You sure you don't want to do a resonator? I can understand not wanting to do a cat because unless its a HJS IMO it's not worth doing and a HJS cat is $500+.

The Vibrant resonator has no real downside as its under $100, is good quality and will clean up the sound dramatically. We have a 2.0L 4 cylinder so straight open exhaust is not going to sound good. I've heard an open DP on our FSI engine and it sounded like a 4 cylinder small sized truck with an exhaust leak. Partial throttle and cruising the thing is going to be raspy with very little bass in the sound.

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1022_1033_1054&products_id=292

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1021_1033_1055&products_id=47

Put the bullet style 12" resonator in the mid pipe coming off of the DP and the muffler style resonator within 5 ft of the exit of the exhaust preferably with 2 or less direction changes before the tail pipes. I'm trying to help as it seems you're going to be spending decent money for a custom exhaust and you should be happy with the looks and sound of it. The 12" resonator will eliminate rasp and the muffler/resonator will give the system a little bit of bass to avoid the tinny sound. If you can fit an 18" resonator I'd recommend it over the 12" as this system is going to be very loud with no cat.

Have you thought about the exhaust tips? It'd look nice if that were a dual 3.5" slash cut tips.

Moosecakes

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Thanks for all of the info! I'll definitely do some more research, rasp I don't mind, actually I love it if it's the right type, but the tinny sound is lame, so i'll look more into it.

As for tips. Im definitely doing angle cut single wall tips, I would love to be able to find 3.5" Ti to build them out of. But that's gonna be tricky. I may try to source some already fabbed ones if I can find them for a good price.