GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Titanium vs Stainless Steel

Mike@Forge

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 BMP GTI Pkg 0
Welding Titanium requires 100% pure Oxygen, and it needs to be back purged. It's not the same as normal TIG welding.

Just because someone knows how to TIG, doesn't mean they can do Titanium, but if your dad is capable, more power to him.

Moosecakes

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Thanks for all the info on welding, he has only done it a handful of times. So any info I can get to him will help. I don't have a doubt he can do it, we just want to be certain of the process before we go hacking into $500 worth of materials.

That exhaust is beautiful! I do have a question now that im looking at it. Why is it all pie cut? Does titanium not like to bend 90*'s? I have come to notice there are very few actual bends in TI exhaust systems it's all pie cut and welded together. I have a list put together, i'll need 3 90* bends, and 2 45*'s will I run into issues with this??

trialerror00

Ready to race!
Car(s)
k04 GTI & watermeth
With my experience with bending metal, I'm a aircraft structural mechanic, titanium is the hardest metal to bend. You need a hydraulic metal break to even cut 3/32 thick sheets. That's why we always have to order our engine heat shields from Lockheed. Cause we don't have the expensive tools to fabricate them. Good luck with the build, cant wait for the finished result.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

CharlieMKV

Go Kart Champion
With my experience with bending metal, I'm a aircraft structural mechanic, titanium is the hardest metal to bend. You need a hydraulic metal break to even cut 3/32 thick sheets. That's why we always have to order our engine heat shields from Lockheed. Cause we don't have the expensive tools to fabricate them. Good luck with the build, cant wait for the finished result.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I machine alot of Titanium Units for Lockheed, Boeing and Northrop Grumman and its a pain to cut those units, even with titanium nitride coated carbide inserts.

Op when you get the material try get a machine shop cut them to what you need.

Moosecakes

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
thank you! that helps a lot, I'm going to talk to a local exhaust fabricator *not mom and pop* this guy has a 200k$ mandrel bender and see if he has the capability to bend it, if i not i'll go the pie slice route.

What do you think about milling a plate of 1/4" thick titanium into a turbo flange? What kind of issue are possible to happen? It's a very beasty mill, brand new grizzly, all new bits and tooling.

CharlieMKV

Go Kart Champion
thank you! that helps a lot, I'm going to talk to a local exhaust fabricator *not mom and pop* this guy has a 200k$ mandrel bender and see if he has the capability to bend it, if i not i'll go the pie slice route.

What do you think about milling a plate of 1/4" thick titanium into a turbo flange? What kind of issue are possible to happen? It's a very beasty mill, brand new grizzly, all new bits and tooling.

you can probably buy 1/4" thick titanium, that'll save you alot of time, then figure out the bolt pattern and just drill and bore the 3" diameter, for the holes i'd use a #3 HSS Center drill and Cobalt drills and to bore, adjustable boring bar for the 3" diameter

Moosecakes

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
perfect, i'm going to remove my dp, make a template of the flange and machine a replica of it. :thumbsup:

Moosecakes

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Does anyone know where I could source a titanium flex bellow for the downpipe? I've been searching for days...

I would prefer to keep it true Ti all the way, but if i have to machine a vband style clamp to add a SS flex bellow in I will..

snoopydapimp

Broken
I had a Bullet Titanium turbo back exhaust on my Skyline. Unbelievably loud, but incredibly sexy at the same time. Only draw back that I ran into has already been brought up. I had to have a hanger put back on and had to drive a ways to someone that could weld it. 29 Palms isn't exactly a mecca for the custom car world.

Moosecakes

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I can't wait to get it started. I'm starting to think that pie cuts with my custom stainless clamps/hanger is going to be the winner for design. I'm thinking possibly having the sections when they mate together, have one end flared slightly larger so it slips into the first section, so there is no butt welding at those sections required, slip in, and weld.

I'll start coming up with some more design ideas later on, right now fabbing my intake is #1 priority lol

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
How do you weld in an atmosphere of 100% O2? First of all, O2 supports combustion. Also, oxygen will react to titanium at a temperature just below its melting point, and therefore should not come into contact while the heat affected zone is above a certain temperature. Don't you mean Argon?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I machine alot of Titanium Units for Lockheed, Boeing and Northrop Grumman and its a pain to cut those units, even with titanium nitride coated carbide inserts.

Op when you get the material try get a machine shop cut them to what you need.

I observed titanium fittings being manufactured by a major defense supplier when I was a government industry analyst. Titanium is tough and hard. It needed to be heated cherry red with an induction heater to forge it.

Moosecakes

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I observed titanium fittings being manufactured by a major defense supplier when I was a government industry analyst. Titanium is tough and hard. It needed to be heated cherry red with an induction heater to forge it.
I'm still doing a lot of research, pie cuts will be 100% necessary through the entire system. Which also cheapens the cost to me since I won't have to pay for bends.

Forging Titanium is much different, grade 2 has a melting point of 3030*F so that makes sense.

Didn't think of adding this before. A short clip after I put in a new clutch in the skyline. It has the titanium exhaust so you can get a little bit of an idea about the noise.

http://youtu.be/NACx5t8y1iw

That sounds beautiful, is there a resonator or muffler?