GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tire truing?

itskv

APR Stage II+
I have some tire wear from a set of tires I bought with wheels. Based on the descriptions the tire has caster wear, meaning the shoulders or edges had rough wear, not smooth. I've looked around and found about tire truing which shaves off the elevated areas to even out the wear and reduce noise and vibration. My question is, has anyone done it and is it worth doing? The tires are quite new and I'd hate to buy a new tire (225/35/19 s.drives $168 on tirerack).

I've also heard and read that alignments can "fix" that caster wear...

Opinions appreciated.

james.bigouette

Officially boring
this is a good quesiton i would like to learn more about this too. I think alot of people on here buy wheels in tires from the classified sections (myself being one of them) and sometimes these tires have been worn unevenly and besides just putting up with it what can we do???

Simmsled

Parking Garage > Tree
Car(s)
its not special.
Call Discount Tire, their 'siping' machine can true tires. It is the same machine. Whether or not they will actually do it is another thing altogether.

that is... if you have a Discount Tire around.

itskv

APR Stage II+
Just called Discount Tire/America Tires and they don't do that around here...

Onomarn

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 VW R32 4779
Les Schwab in Fremont has a siping Machine,

itskv

APR Stage II+
Hmm, I wonder if using a orbital sander will work on the elevated areas? What do you guys think?

g_berserk

Smartass in Training
Car(s)
SEAT Ibiza FR
Hmm, I wonder if using a orbital sander will work on the elevated areas? What do you guys think?

Very unlikely you can sand it down to a perfect round shape all around the tire with an orbital sander unless you're some kind of ultra-precise cyborg.
The tire will humb because of the irregularities.

And to those more illustrated than myself in the topic... The OEM supension caster can't be set to a point where it can cause excesive wear on the tires, right? that would be toe in/out issues AFAIK :iono:

lejtalens

I have some tire wear from a set of tires I bought with wheels. Based on the descriptions the tire has caster wear, meaning the shoulders or edges had rough wear, not smooth. I've looked around and found about tire truing which shaves off the elevated areas to even out the wear and reduce noise and vibration. My question is, has anyone done it and is it worth doing? The tires are quite new and I'd hate to buy a new tire (225/35/19 s.drives $168 on tirerack).

I've also heard and read that alignments can "fix" that caster wear...

Opinions appreciated.

So.. this is years too late but I just got tires trued by Nate Jones Jr. at Nate Jones Tire in Signal Hill, CA