GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Timing Belt Question

Hamad990

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 Golf GTi
I was thinking or replacing the timing belt on my FSI sometime soon since its almost time for it, and after looking up a quick tutorial online, I'm a bit confused about it. Is the timing belt itself the only thing that I should replace or should I replace other stuff? Cause one tutorial only replaced the belt, but another one also replaced the tensioner and something else. What do you guys recommend I do? Should I replace just the belt or is there other things that should be replaced as well?

Thanks!

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
What miles are you at? Timing belt is due at 110k for some years and I think at 120k miles for the 2008 FSI.

I replace the pulleys, water pump, and if at or near 120k miles...do the thermostat as well.

Hamad990

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 Golf GTi
ROH ECHT I’m at around 170k miles, and according to vw I should replace it every 120, but a friend with the same year as mine said it’s better if I replaced at 80k miles. Plus I don’t actually know when’s the last time it’s been replaced so I’m gonna play it safe on this one

Last edited:

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
For the '07 the TB was to be checked at 60k and then every 20k after and replace at 120K but more than a few people did not make it out to 100k. If you do not know the history of the TB at 170k I personally would stop driving the car until I could either check it and related hardware or just plan on doing a complete TB kit. As recommended do the water pump while there and thermostat, then that side of the engine will have been taking care of.

Hamad990

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 Golf GTi
GTI's is that something I can check out Via OBD? If so would you happen to know if I could do it via OBDEleven? Or am I gonna have to pull apart the car to check out the condition of the belt?

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
You are going to have to get your eyeballs on it to get its condition and related components.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
If you get the top cover off you will be able to look at the belt and see its condition, may want to bump the engine so you can the other sections of the belt.

Hamad990

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 Golf GTi
GTI's so I looked at the timing belt and it seems to be in good condition, I don't see any weird kinks, cracks, or tearing. So I'll still be replacing it before winter, but can I assume it'll be ok for me to drive it until then?

Pudding

Passed Driver's Ed
Replace everything that lives behind the cambelt covers - 1 x belt, 1 x tensioner pulley, 2 x idler pullies, 2 x bolts, 1 x nut, 1 x water pump. VW sell the belt parts as a kit, and the pump is separate.

Visual inspection of a belt is no indication of condition. Rubber deteriorates with age and heat cycling. Of course, you can carry on driving it but if the belt is past it's service interval and it snaps, you have zero recourse.