GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Timing Belt Maintenance (Specifically, tensioner) Question

doktorslowburn

Car(s)
07 GTI Base
Hey all,

I did a search on this topic (both on the forums and on Google), but couldn't find an answer to my specific question.

Over this past weekend I replaced the timing belt on my new-to-me 07 GTI. It's at 92.5k miles and has had two owners. The service records since 2014 are sparse to nonexistent.
During the maintenance I noted that the original belt was OEM, and didn't look extremely worn. It had some very slight fraying but I replaced it anyway.

I also replaced the water pump and idler pulleys. I originally replaced the timing tensioner as well, but when I attempted to tighten up the slack, the metal on the allen socket broke. So, unfortunately, I had to reinstall the original tensioner as this is my daily, and I needed the project to be done by monday morning.

The car is fine, I got the timing right and everything seems to be functioning normally. But how concerned should I be that the tensioner didn't get replaced? I have absolutely NO desire to go through this maintenance ever again. I'm going to have nightmares about that engine mount for months. Do I need to start looking around for a shop to replace the tensioner? I inspected it upon removal and it seemed in fine condition- I'd even venture to say it *may* have already been replaced at some point. I couldn't hear the bearings or anything like that.

Any advice is appreciated!

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
I originally replaced the timing tensioner as well, but when I attempted to tighten up the slack, the metal on the allen socket broke. So, unfortunately, I had to reinstall the original tensioner as this is my daily, and I needed the project to be done by monday morning.

The car is fine, I got the timing right and everything seems to be functioning normally. But how concerned should I be that the tensioner didn't get replaced? I have absolutely NO desire to go through this maintenance ever again. I'm going to have nightmares about that engine mount for months. Do I need to start looking around for a shop to replace the tensioner? I inspected it upon removal and it seemed in fine condition- I'd even venture to say it *may* have already been replaced at some point. I couldn't hear the bearings or anything like that.

Any advice is appreciated!
Who was the manufacture of the tensioner??

Just makes me think of not good quality part and if part of a timing belt kit??

I guess you could keep an ear on it and hopefully it will start making noises when it is going, if you start hearing noises you can isolate it by removing the serpentine belt and listening for the noise.

doktorslowburn

Car(s)
07 GTI Base
Who was the manufacture of the tensioner??

Just makes me think of not good quality part and if part of a timing belt kit??

I guess you could keep an ear on it and hopefully it will start making noises when it is going, if you start hearing noises you can isolate it by removing the serpentine belt and listening for the noise.
It was a kit I bought from FCPEuro- the tensioner brand was INA, which is the same brand as the idlers it came with. I also have concerns about the quality there. The rest of the parts were from more reputable brands though, so I'm not losing much sleep over it. FCP did offer to refund the cost of the broken tensioner, but unfortunately I absent-mindedly threw it out with the rest of the debris from the project, so I won't be getting that refund. 😥

What exactly would a failing tensioner sound like? I've heard the noise a failing idler makes, so I'm familiar with that, but not sure to watch out for when it comes to the tensioner.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
To hear what it sounds like do a search for the videos of a failing Tb tensioner.

doktorslowburn

Car(s)
07 GTI Base
To hear what it sounds like do a search for the videos of a failing Tb tensioner.
Just looked it up. Surprise, it's already making that sound. Excellent.
Guess I'll be shopping around today for quotes. Serious shame to have to basically pay for the whole service which I just performed myself but I guess that's what I get for not finishing the job. Oh well. Thanks for the input, appreciate your help.