GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Time to look for an AWD/4wd vehicle for work

BillyBob

is afraid of the dyno...
Car(s)
'12 4 door GTI
So I'm a field person for an environmental remediation company. Sometimes I need to get on roads that are not paved, or graded... or even cleared of vegetation. Until recently, I lucked out and was able to snag the company Pickup/van/mid-sized car/etc. However, as our company hires more people for field work, well.. I need to use my car more. It's a bit low for what I feel could pass for some sites I go to, so I'm thinking I might be looking for something for work only.

I can't afford anything new, yet. Not to mention I'd rather save up and replace the GTI with something in a few years, after I pay it off. So I decided maybe I should look into a second Gen Subaru Forester. Research tells me to look into a 2006-2008 as they have a revised head gasket, which is a known issue in earlier models.

Anyone have advice or suggestions on maybe something else in a similar vein? AWD wagon/ crossover that's fairly good on gas?

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I think a used Jeep is the obvious choice, a used 4runner or older Chevy Blazer would be great too.

Noodle1

Ready to race!
You have to pick up an old Crown Vic. I know they are not awd but still, the cars are so capable, reliable and sooooo cool. They are basically tanks and are so much fun to romp, best of all, you can snag one off craigslist for like 2 grand and look like a cop :)

BillyBob

is afraid of the dyno...
Car(s)
'12 4 door GTI
Golf All-track. New 1.8T + MQB Chassis + AWD = Win.

Also the new 1.8T tunes basically just as well as your Gen 1 EA888

Trust me, if I could afford it, I would and swap over all GTI braking. Also waiting because rumor is a 7 speed DSG in the near future... not sure if that's for the Alltrack though

Manual or auto?

Either. Wife would perfer auto just incase (I wouldn't)

I think a used Jeep is the obvious choice, a used 4runner or older Chevy Blazer would be great too.

I actually have an 84 fullsize blazer, but it's in pieces. Also, fuel economy with a carburated mid 80s 350 GM small block is TERRIBLE. Needs an LS3 swap.

You have to pick up an old Crown Vic. I know they are not awd but still, the cars are so capable, reliable and sooooo cool. They are basically tanks and are so much fun to romp, best of all, you can snag one off craigslist for like 2 grand and look like a cop :)

..................noooooo.....

MMKAY6

Ready to race!

The tank part is accurate. I used to have a Crown Victoria Sport (yes, they made a Sport model for a while). The darn thing never had one single issue and took everything I threw at it. Probably the most reliable car I've ever owned and missed every time the VW throws a check engine light. :rolleyes:

green hell

Ready to race!
any subaru with ground clearance in that time frame is a good choice, just keep an eye on head gasket, water pump and timing belt/chain.

my '07 outback had head gasket sadness, and replaced some wheel bearings. kyb suspension upgrade helped as well.

Vikingsloth1

Ready to race!
Yo, mk7 golf alltrack

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Subaru. Pretty much any one you want. My mom just bought a Outback awd its nice. Better than the STI interior off memory.

Philimon

Ready to race!
Trade-in GTI?

For a jalopy from Craigslist: Forester, RAV4 2door, CRV, and the wild Vehicross, these are my picks.