GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Time for a new turbo

Brennan L.

Car(s)
2007 gti
New member here looking for turbo advice, wasn't getting anywhere on the vortex. Recently discovered how much play is in my turbo shaft and my new downpipe is also showing how much oil is headed out the exhaust so here we are. I could go with a ko3 but wheres the fun in that. I want to put in a frankenturbo ft23t hybrid since its about as drop in as it gets however I'm not sure i have an upgraded hpfp so I may not be able to take full advantage yet. What I'm trying to figure out is if I can run the new turbo with the old tune using a manual boost controller (tune is set up for 18-20 psi of boost according to the gauge, though I'm not 100% on what tune it is) or if the computer ill be able to handle boost control. I will be getting the eurodyne maestro software eventually but rn its not in the budget. Im also trying to figure out if theres something in the hpfp that can be measured to see if it has received an upgrade already.
Thanks, Brennan

vwengineer

Ready to race!
You need a proper tune, a manual boost controller won't work. The ECU computes the boost by itself and will go in limp mode if it's not able to control it

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Doing a proper. K04 or K04 hybrid install is about 4500 if you do the labor.

Since you have a stock turbo it is almost certain the hpfp was not upgraded.

Personally I would not use f23 but would opt for K04.I recall reading about too many failures, whereas the K04 has very few with much higher distribution.

K04 kit
K04 tune
Upgrade intercooler
Upgrade intake
Upgrade to 3in turbo back exhaust
Upgrade hpfp
Upgrade injectors ( depending on tune )
Upgrade fprv
Upgrade map
Upgrade tubing turbo to intercooler
Upgrade tubing from intercooler to TB

And of course once you add 50%+ more power you have to be concerned with your clutch if you have a manual. Usually DSG holds power ok unless it has very high miles.
Any way you get the idea. Staying stock turbo with minor mods is in one price category and once you step to a larger turbo the cost goes way up and spirals when you then feel your clutch may not be able to hold the power, your brake seem weak now and the speed makes you realize suspension mods are in order.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I am just going to copy and paste what I posted on Vortex;

Who is Frankenturbo recommending for tuning the F23T these days? In the past, it has pretty much been a custom tuning job. I suppose United Motorsport is one that could tune it. I would tune over and over though. Tuning for it can be anywhere from 325 whp to 360 whp. So you need your tuner to work it and work it.

The one thing which has always concerned me about the F23T is it is a rebuilt K04 turbo and a used waste-gate. So you get a used waste-gate that I have no idea how they are able to tighten if worn or wobbly. You can send them a new K04 for rebuilding to avoid the used WG. I won't even rebuild my K04 at Comp Turbo because all I will be getting is a rebuilt turbo with the WG in the same used condition.

I would go K04 over the F23T.

Then to address the hpfp being upgraded or not...you can remove the hpfp. See if the piston slides out of the retainer nut. It won't if it is a staged piston such as Autotech's is. If so, it is likely oem, but some upgrades are a straight piston. So if it does slide out, you then need to caliper the piston diameter and post that diameter dimension so to compare with what one may say that knows the diameter...because I am not 100% sure what the APR, Integrated Eng., and others with a straight hpfp piston diameter is compared to the oem.

Brennan L.

Car(s)
2007 gti
From my research I should actually be able to use a manual boost controller as all I would be using it to do is prevent overboost. Computer still controls boost through rpm range and mbc kicks in to prevent an overboost at top end. I’m not interested in going the ko4 route as it’s an all or nothing setup whereas I can be more progressive with the frankenturbo plus it’s about 1/2 the cost even with the tuning suite. I’ll pull the hpfp off today and measure and see if I can get a part number off my injectors. If niether are upgraded I may just stick with a ko3 And have to live with only roasting the tires through second. Also for future reference clutch is upgraded, stage 2 ecs rated to 350ft/lbs

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
From my research I should actually be able to use a manual boost controller as all I would be using it to do is prevent overboost. Computer still controls boost through rpm range and mbc kicks in to prevent an overboost at top end. I’m not interested in going the ko4 route as it’s an all or nothing setup whereas I can be more progressive with the frankenturbo plus it’s about 1/2 the cost even with the tuning suite. I’ll pull the hpfp off today and measure and see if I can get a part number off my injectors. If niether are upgraded I may just stick with a ko3 And have to live with only roasting the tires through second. Also for future reference clutch is upgraded, stage 2 ecs rated to 350ft/lbs
An f23 is just a slightly modified K04 and would require same setup as regular K04. Like others who are sharing info, we have been running K04 setups on our cars for years and are very familiar with all aspects of the setup. Do as you wish and I hope you have success doing it your own way

Brennan L.

Car(s)
2007 gti
The plot thickens, hpfp is upgraded. Can’t even see the injectors without removing the intake so that remains a mystery. Is there any reason to have an upgraded pump with a ko3 or is that only done when a bigger turbo is added?

Attachments

• 2BC0624A-CD6E-4300-82AC-9F3ADB175FAC.jpeg
    2BC0624A-CD6E-4300-82AC-9F3ADB175FAC.jpeg
    858.2 KB · Views: 97

Brennan L.

Car(s)
2007 gti
Alright car definitely has a ko3 unless I’m reading the tag completely wrong. Just going to put a new ko3 on it for now since I just need a reliable car and will probably end up in trouble with more power. Maybe one day but not today. Thank you all for the help and maybe someone can point me towards a good turbo replacement guide that would be helpful.
cheers, Brennan

Attachments

• FB50566F-23E0-4496-8782-05BCB9E68A7F.jpeg
    FB50566F-23E0-4496-8782-05BCB9E68A7F.jpeg
    703 KB · Views: 91

Brennan L.

Car(s)
2007 gti
anyone tried out a rotomaster turbo before? im concerned with the fact its 300 less than a borgwarner but also intrigued if they are of good quality i may end up with one of those

BurgerGuy

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'07 K04 GTI
anyone tried out a rotomaster turbo before? im concerned with the fact its 300 less than a borgwarner but also intrigued if they are of good quality i may end up with one of those

As someone who has also gone K04, do not skimp on hardware. You will regret it later and likely end up spending money again to get the correct/quality part you should have bought the first time around. If you're going to get a K04 then stick with OEM or Borg Warner. If you upgrade injectors, make sure they're OEM.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Rotormaster? do they even have a turbo for your motor? Which model are you looking at?