GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thud noises on roundabout

Nd272

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi ,

Looking for opinions , getting a repeated thud noise when cornering tightly (roundabouts for instance) 2x CV joints and boots done 2 weeks ago as was getting some clicking noises previously so I know they are not bad.

The subframe spacers were also done at the time as well.

Any ideas of general areas what it could be?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
First thing I would do is check all of the subframe bolt torque to be sure they are snug before moving on.

Then;
Disconnect the endlinks from the front ARB. Take it back out where it makes the noise. If the noise is gone...you'll need to replace the endlinks because their ball-joints are bad. Reconnect the endlinks when done testing.
If still making the noise but only when increasing the steering angle(when turning the steering wheel)...it could be the upper strut bearing/s.
If noise is present while holding the wheel steady...it could also be in the steering rack's ball joints.

I would also be checking the lower trans mount(dogbone/pendulum) for slop and integrity.

Nd272

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks a million for the reply roh echt, I’m gonna have a full checkup up done ASAP, I must also say the car has been feeling sloppier lately, i.e steering wheel feels like there is more play in it, handling just isn’t as tight as it could be.

You may remember some time ago you have me advice on another post re misfire issue which thankfully have not returned, car has good compression of 150/155 across all 4 cylinders and the engine is as good as can be, before I go stage 1 i want to ensure steering and suspension are good. If I have to invest some money on the handling then that’s what I will do before I go on to performance enhancements .

Will keep you posted, and thanks again

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Yep...and good idea tightening it up before adding more power. Can be tough inspecting those small ball joints...and why you can just disconnect the bottom end and then listen on another drive. Another possibility it could be is swing arm bushings if not end links, steering links, and given the subframe is tight.

Nd272

Passed Driver's Ed
Took 2 photos underneath driver side this morning as most of the noise I hear is coming from there, in second pic it looks like the tie rod end rubber isn’t fully meeting the bolt, could be gone bad perhaps ?

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Yes...that would be where you'd want to disconnect the endlinks from the ARB/swaybar if you want to test it to see if that eliminates the noise. If you do this...remember to hold the threaded bit of the ball joint so to prevent it from spinning. Cannot remember off the top of my head which size bit is needed to fit in the end of the threaded rod...but figure it out before attempting to loosen the nut.