GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thoughts on the 2016 Civic? (10th gen)

mkygod

Ready to race!
The Civic was revealed today along with some specs.

Details can be found here: http://www.civicx.com/threads/2016-...civicx-live-coverage-at-youtube-space-la.130/

Interestingly enough, the upper trim models will be using a 1.5L turbo 4-cylinder engine which makes 173 horsepower. Its bigger overall, weighs less, and looks about halfway to the size of an Accord.

It is now more powerful than the regular Golf while still costing less, have more standard features, and retaining its MPG numbers. It now also has an LED headlight option (previous Civics only came in halogens) and will be available in a 5-door hatchback version. No details have been released yet for the impending SI and Type-R models.

Just wondering, as Golf enthusiasts, what you guys think of the Civic now with its improvements and the move to turbo and hatchback form? I think this is the first production Honda to use a turbo.

I already have my heart set on a 2016 GTI, but now I can't help but be curious with what the Si model has in store. Personally, I like the styling, though not as much as the GTI. The styling of the new one is a big improvement over previous gen Civics inside and out.

Last edited:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
It is an improvement.
But is easy to improve ugly which the civic has been.
I have owned two Honda CRX cars so familiar with Honda.
I also tested the Accord before buying my GTI.
Honda makes good cars that meet most needs but my GTI is a great car.
I would take it over new Civic.
Also everyone will buy a Civic but few drive GTI or R!
The GTI interior is hard to beat.
Yes I have not seen the new Civic but the car still looks like a Honda build.
Which is ok but not great.
The ass of the sedan is to wide. Tail lights make it look wide and bulky. Not fast.
My thoughts. I always consider a Honda. But love my GTI.

About time Honda went turbo.
Interior not special. My 2015 GTI interior more upscale.

I would like the first generation civic shown.
My first car was a second generation silver civic.
Great car. Tough as a rock.
Handled Wisconsin winters well. Put the old knobby snow tires on front and ready to go.

Last edited:

mkygod

Ready to race!
It is an improvement.
But is easy to improve ugly which the civic has been.
I have owned two Honda CRX cars so familiar with Honda.
I also tested the Accord before buying my GTI.
Honda makes good cars that meet most needs but my GTI is a great car.
I would take it over new Civic.
The GTI interior is hard to beat.
Yes I have not seen the new Civic but the car still looks like a Honda build.
Which is ok but not great.
The ass of the sedan is to wide. Tail lights make it look wide and bulky. Not fast.
My thoughts. I always consider a Honda. But love my GTI.

About time Honda went turbo.
Interior not special. My 2015 GTI interior more upscale.

I would like the first generation civic shown.
My first car was a second generation silver civic.
Great car. Tough as a rock.
Handled Wisconsin winters well. Put the old knobby snow tires on front and ready to go.

I'm still emotionally invested in the GTI, but on paper, the numbers all seem to favor the Civic when it comes to room, price, features, mpg, and almost everything that can be measured in numbers, aside from performance.

However, the Si is rumoured to do a 5.9 sec 0-60 with an available 8-speed dual-clutch transmission instead of the regular CVT. That's easily GTI, ST, WRX territory.

see: http://www.civicx.com/attachments/civic_trims_si-jpg.161

Now, magine that in a hatchback form and you can see why the new Civic is so hard to ignore from the perspective of a potential GTI buyer. As much as I would love to be a GTI owner and not drive a Civic like everyone else, these new details do make me second guess my priorities at times.

Stig's American Cousin

Ready to race!
Bland and safe as always from Honda. Though the back looks more like a crosstour (like a turd pinched off in a hurry.) I'm sure it will have the typical Honda reliability but having driven my wife's Honda's they always feel so uninspired, again just about numbers. More soul stealing than soulful. As with everything in life to each their own. I just have yet to find any Honda inspiring in any way.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I'm still emotionally invested in the GTI, but on paper, the numbers all seem to favor the Civic when it comes to room, price, features, mpg, and almost everything that can be measured in numbers, aside from performance.

However, the Si is rumoured to do a 5.9 sec 0-60 with an available 8-speed dual-clutch transmission instead of the regular CVT. That's easily GTI, ST, WRX territory.

see: http://www.civicx.com/attachments/civic_trims_si-jpg.161

Now, magine that in a hatchback form and you can see why the new Civic is so hard to ignore from the perspective of a potential GTI buyer. As much as I would love to be a GTI owner and not drive a Civic like everyone else, these new details do make me second guess my priorities at times.

An Si for $23,000 and it does 0-60 in 5.9 sec?
Being built in China?

Does that not sound like something is wrong?
To have performance at that price something else has to give and that is normally interior quality. Might look ok but not feel ok.
235hp and 203 ft/lb Little light on torque for such a low 0-60.

Having driven Honda's and now my GTI, I will take a GTI.
But I am older and the GTI has a feel and quality I appreciate now.
When I was younger it might have been about looks more.

mkygod

Ready to race!
An Si for $23,000 and it does 0-60 in 5.9 sec?
Being built in China?

Does that not sound like something is wrong?
To have performance at that price something else has to give and that is normally interior quality. Might look ok but not feel ok.
235hp and 203 ft/lb Little light on torque for such a low 0-60.

Having driven Honda's and now my GTI, I will take a GTI.
But I am older and the GTI has a feel and quality I appreciate now.
When I was younger it might have been about looks more.

Most Hondas in the US market are assembled in the US including the Civics. I don't think there is any car sold in the US that is assembled in China. China has their own Honda plants for their market. Maybe for some of the individual parts could be from China. Also, don't forget the GTI has some Chinese parts too like the Austin wheels.

The S2000 had a lowly 162ft/lb torque and managed to hit 0-60 in the mid 5's and it only had a few hp more than this supposed new Si.

No one is arguing the quality difference and feel. Depends on what your priorities are. I'm still questioning mine.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Looks good. Good job Honda. LED's headlights are a nice touch. My only problem is that I like niche cars and there would be a Civic everywhere that alon gets boring lol. Nice car

mkygod

Ready to race!
After (very briefly) contemplating getting the 2016 Civic, i bit and bought the GTI that I always wanted all along.

That's fine though because i told my friend to wait for the 2016 Civic and it will probably be his car in the near future so I'll get to enjoy that car too :)

ReflexxMK7

Ready to race!
Though the back looks more like a crosstour (like a turd pinched off in a hurry.)

:D It does look like a mini Crossturd.

Every Honda I have ever driven or been passenger in, which is quite a few, had interiors that felt inspired by Herman Munsters posture and mannerism. Stiff and awkward. My best friend bought a '10 Honda Accord and I had to move it out of my driveway on one of his visits to do some car juggling (stupid side load garage) and I was completely put off by the seats. It felt like a leather covered folding chair.

I do like the Si model, but it's so cliche for the segment and so many people own Honda Civic that even the Si just looks like another Honda.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Most Hondas in the US market are assembled in the US including the Civics. I don't think there is any car sold in the US that is assembled in China. China has their own Honda plants for their market. Maybe for some of the individual parts could be from China. Also, don't forget the GTI has some Chinese parts too like the Austin wheels.

The S2000 had a lowly 162ft/lb torque and managed to hit 0-60 in the mid 5's and it only had a few hp more than this supposed new Si.

No one is arguing the quality difference and feel. Depends on what your priorities are. I'm still questioning mine.

I was joking on China build. I know most Honda's USA built.
Just a comment on price and performance.
Normally if price is low, you either have performance or interior quality but not both. So if the Si has performance then maybe quality is not up to GTI level. My thoughts.
I have owned Honda's and like them. A car that is normally a good buy.
I just like my GTI so much.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
After (very briefly) contemplating getting the 2016 Civic, i bit and bought the GTI that I always wanted all along.

That's fine though because i told my friend to wait for the 2016 Civic and it will probably be his car in the near future so I'll get to enjoy that car too :)

I think you will like the GTI and you are getting a loaded one.:cool:
Share pics when you get! Enjoy.

jwilkins88

Ready to race!
I'll admit I'm a bit of a Honda fanboi, but.....

I just have yet to find any Honda inspiring in any way.

Have you ever driven an S2000? Anyone who drives an S2000 and doesn't find it inspiring should probably reevaluate their car guy status.

My only problem is that I like niche cars and there would be a Civic everywhere that alon gets boring lol. Nice car

I don't think this is really valid. I see Golfs multiple times a day and a GTI at least once a day. Maybe the St. Louis market is saturated.

Edit: And the new Type-R is badass... I don't think anyone can deny that

mkygod

Ready to race!
I don't think this is really valid. I see Golfs multiple times a day and a GTI at least once a day. Maybe the St. Louis market is saturated.

Edit: And the new Type-R is badass... I don't think anyone can deny that

Here in the heart of Orange County, i see MK7 golfs only about twice a month on the road and they all happen to be GTI's for some reason. I have not seen a single standard MK7 Golf in the last 5 months. Overall, I see more Tesla S's than i do Golfs, and I am hypersensitive about seeing Golfs around ever since being in the market for one.

The Type-R is badass for sure, but who knows what Type-R they'll bring over to the states. I don't think the current Euro-speced Type-R's have anything in common with the North American 2016 Civic design/chassis.

Last edited: