GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thoughts on DSG software tune?

DeepBlue

Ready to race!
So, I've been running APR stage 3 or stage K04, whatever they are calling it for some time now. Overall, I've been pretty happy with what I got and my expectations have been largely met.

There have been a few nagging issues that I've had to learn to deal with while driving around with all these mods. The most visible of which, would be the pretty annoying DSG quirks I've seen others on this forum describe as "thinking" issues.

For those not familiar, this involves DSG doing some odd shifting in D during day to day driving under light/moderate throttle. One good example would be getting on the freeway and ending up with almost immediate upshifts quickly followed by downshifts all without any throttle modulation. At which point you are now going too fast and have to adjust.

My thinking is that this is due to stock DSG tune and the fact that throttle is still calibrated for 200HP.

I have looked around way back when I was getting all this done and found that APR did not offer an FSI DSG tune. Although, they still don't offer one, there are now other options available.

I am curious as to what I should expect from a TCU tune such as this one from Unitronics. Let me be clear, the last thing I want is crazier power delivery or more speed. Actually, I am willing to sacrifice some performance for drivability and reliability. Not looking to beta test any wildcat, one-of tunes either. Just looking for a smoother ride and less "thinking".

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

high_octane3541

Go Kart Champion
Do not get unitronic! That was a waste of $700!

Eurodyne is only $500 and you can adjust all your own shift points. You will however need the Eurodyne cable.

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
Step one, find that what turbo you have so you can at least tell people what your car's got when they ask.

As far as your issue goes, I suggest driving in manual. I never drive my dual clutch car in D or S, always manual shift. Much nicer that way.

DeepBlue

Ready to race!
Step one, find that what turbo you have so you can at least tell people what your car's got when they ask.

As far as your issue goes, I suggest driving in manual. I never drive my dual clutch car in D or S, always manual shift. Much nicer that way.

I thought I had mentioned that turbo is a K04. Turbo and all supporting mods (downpipe, intercooler, hpfp, injectors, intake etc) sourced directly from APR.

Actually, I have been driving it in manual a lot, and you're right it is a much nicer experience. Unfortunately, in and around NYC, manual is not always the best option.

Figured since I'm seeing a bunch of companies offering TCU updates, might as well investigate and get some opinions.

DeepBlue

Ready to race!
Oh, OK. Stage 3 from APR uses a different, slightly bigger turbo so I wasn't sure.

No worries. There was a bit of confusion regarding APR and stages a while back, specifically around FSI's. K04's used to be stage 3 at one point I think. Then they changed it once the bigger turbos started showing up.

I did try VCDS adaptation. Always comes out same. Strangely enough, S works way better. Its the D that feels awkward at times.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
No worries. There was a bit of confusion regarding APR and stages a while back, specifically around FSI's. K04's used to be stage 3 at one point I think. Then they changed it once the bigger turbos started showing up.

I did try VCDS adaptation. Always comes out same. Strangely enough, S works way better. Its the D that feels awkward at times.

DSG shifting anomolies start to show up when the torque goes up. I have a K04 car (3 years). I have run GIAC and moved to Unitronic when I wanted a custom tune (more clamping force). Both took care of the things you describe. I imagine the APR tune would too.

DeepBlue

Ready to race!
DSG shifting anomolies start to show up when the torque goes up. I have a K04 car (3 years). I have run GIAC and moved to Unitronic when I wanted a custom tune (more clamping force). Both took care of the things you describe. I imagine the APR tune would too.

Interesting...

I assume you're referring to this? https://www.getunitronic.com/tcu-tuning/volkswagen-golf-gti-2-0-tfsi-2006-2008-200hp-stage2dsg

UNITRONIC STAGE 2 DSG FOR VOLKSWAGEN GOLF GTI 2.0 TFSI
DSG Software Precisely Engineered to Run on a K04 setup.

Features
Engineered with Strict Industry Standards
Extensively Tested Under Various Driving Conditions
Optimized Responsiveness and Drivability
Optimized Smoothness and Driving Comfort

Rpm Limiter Increased to 7100
Launch Control Increased to 4200
Optimized "D" and "Sport Mode
Kick Downs Removed
"Manual" Mode Up Shifts Removed
NM Limit Increased by 150NM

I'm pretty happy with APR ECU tune I'm running now and would rather not mess with it. I hope there's no problem with mixing APR ECU and other TCU tunes.

high_octane3541

Go Kart Champion
If you go the uni route (which you shouldn't)

You will need to contact apr so they can raise your rev limiter. They will make you sign a waver as well

Say your current apr rev limit is 6800 but your shift point is set at 7100 on the uni tune, that doesn't match up so you could run into problems.

Also, despite what uni says, they do not increase clutch pressure.

Eurodyne > unitronic

DeepBlue

Ready to race!

You will need to contact apr so they can raise your rev limiter. They will make you sign a waver as well

Say your current apr rev limit is 6800 but your shift point is set at 7100 on the uni tune, that doesn't match up so you could run into problems.

Eurodyne > unitronic

Good to know. Far from decided at this point.

Important note, I noticed that not everyone is offering a TCU tune ala Unitronic. I'm not really looking to replace my APR ECU tune but to complement it with a TCU tune more in-line with current power levels.

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
HPA trans flash is supposed to be good, but they make it a pain in the ass to get the loaner flashing tool maybe? Cause of their far location, I'm most likely doing giac.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR

Eurodyne > unitronic

Uni does not advertise increased clamping force however I did get a custom tune from them that did increase clamping force. I had to wait 6 months to get it but I got it.

high_octane3541

Go Kart Champion
They told me my file had increased clamping force but the logs and slipping suggested otherwise...

I know of at least 3 other people that had the same issue.