GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thermal Kombat: How Do You Keep IAT and/or Engine Bay Temps Down?

Ignignokt

K04 Bound
Car(s)
'08 Mk5 GTI
I've seen the hood spacer idea thrown around here a little bit. One of the downsides is purely aesthetic (i.e. poor body panel alignment). I wouldn't care so much while driving down the highway or interstate, but I definitely would mind at low speeds or while stationary.

A "simple" solution I could see implementing would be mounting neodymium magnets on the hood and mounting electromagnets to the body. The magnets would only energize when the car is on. Of course, a balance would have to be found so that you're not having to go Hulk when trying to open the hood for maintenance or whatever.

A solenoid actuator is another option I've thought about. Surely, there are some EEs or MEs around here...?

Cryptic1911

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008.5 GTI
Don't do this.. you are going to screw up the efficiency of the fans when you swiss cheese the shroud. The reason it is there is to make the fans able to suck air through the radiator, otherwise it will just be like it's pissing in the wind since there's nothing to channel the air through it and over the fan blades

The fan mount modification..........this idea popping into my head one day after wasting money on an intercooler :mad:, which only works as well as the air flow to it, and through it. And I was looking in the engine bay, when I realized the only real air to enter the engine bay through the a/c unit/intercooler/radiator comes through the area that is open to the fans.....the rest of it is restricted by the that piece of plastic that covers quite a bit of the radiator, but it's also what the fans get mounted onto. So I'm thinking if one was able to remove it, and cut away at it, with out damaging the fan mounts or the mounting parts itself, it might help with air flow through the intercooler/radiator, and into the engine bay for cooling.

Next time you pop your engine hood, look down along the radiator, the side that's facing into the engine bay, you'll notice the plastic cover which the fans are mounted on. This plastic cover, covers what....25% of the radiator, which blocks inward air flow?

I was thinking of removing mine, but I noticed my fans are mounted onto it, so to me it seems that this plastic cover would have to be removed, and carefully trimmed, and reinstalled.

I'm thinking that opening it up to airflow would let the intercooler/radiator do their jobs better.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:

Finder

Ready to race!
As for the turbo blanket, the oil and coolant lines need to be disconnected to install while the turbo is on the car. I did it during an oil change and coolant flush.
Are you 100% sure the lines must be disconnected for this?
I'm looking at the shape of this thing and can't find a reason why it wouldn't just wrap around the way it is on the car.

HYDE16

Ready to race!
Are you 100% sure the lines must be disconnected for this?
I'm looking at the shape of this thing and can't find a reason why it wouldn't just wrap around the way it is on the car.

As per my shop, yes.

Jerseynoob

Ready to race!
Don't do this.. you are going to screw up the efficiency of the fans when you swiss cheese the shroud. The reason it is there is to make the fans able to suck air through the radiator, otherwise it will just be like it's pissing in the wind since there's nothing to channel the air through it and over the fan blades

I'm starting to think it wouldn't be a good idea, because of opening up the fan housing would allow more road dust, and rain to enter the engine bay, and my alternator is right there, right by an area that would be opened up, and having that exposed to more moisture, doesn't seem like a good idea.....but you bring up an excellent point.

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
Anybody know what triggers our radiator fans to kick on and off? Coolant temps?

COrrect, thermostat.

The TSI thermostat is integrated into the waterpump and cannot be serviced, however the FSI motor can chagne the thermostat and I believe I have read that you can swap the MVK GTI thermostat for the s3 thermostat to lwoer the temp that the fans kick on.
That should aid in cooling.

Ill dig out some pictures of my setup, but it is far from pretty.
Hyde's setup is much more aesthetically pleasing and he has done comparison and research to justify his heat shielding, I have not.

Ignignokt

K04 Bound
Car(s)
'08 Mk5 GTI
I started a thread about this a while ago, but why not modify the empty/usless headlight washer slots to get more air into the engine bay?

I've ordered the parts to try it out. The way I plan on doing it is easily reversible if I don't like it --meaning I'd keep and use the provided tabs and slots.

Roughly, it'd work out like this. Forgive me. This was all done in MS Paint. Lol

See these?

Cut out the center material, but leave enough for the slots/tabs to work properly.

Cut out the center material for the covers but leave the tabs in place.
The red slashes denote the area to remove.

Using the covers as a template, cut out some mesh/grill material.
The mesh might have to be heated and curved and probably thinned down for proper fitment.

Alternately, you could just cut the grill/mesh material for direct installation into the slots on the bumper instead of modifying and using the covers.

NOTE: If this were to look good at all, it'd probably look best on a black car. That's what I have.

Thoughts?

BTW: All the pics are borrowed from ECS Tuning.

FMX_DBC

Dirt Bike Craig
Car(s)
'06 Tornado Red GTI

Ignignokt

K04 Bound
Car(s)
'08 Mk5 GTI
Lava Exhaust Wrap on my downpipe: http://ptpturboblankets.com/Lava-Exhaust-Wrap.html

Turbo Blanket (pictured on my P&P turbo, say K04 but will fit K03): http://ptpturboblankets.com/K04-Turbo-Blanket-000531.html

Before you get into price, take a look at my review for the quality photos and then the actual temp reductions. The cost is WELL worth this blanket.

I plan on going K04 within the next four to six months. When I do, I'll definitely wrap that pig in a blanket. :thumbsup:

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
I have actually been debating the idea of drilling some "speed holes" into my new bumper im working on. Rather that drilling out holes where the washer sprayer goes I have been debating using the area behind where the front mask goes. This would work fantastic in conjunction with the Phoenix Rising FMIC or ATP 600hp FMIC kit.
When the front mask is on you would never know the speed hoels are there, but when you hit the track or strip you could remove the front mask and then BAMMO fresh cool air going to your FMIC.

area in question is the part between the two highlighted areas with arrows:

Similar to this Golf R, but on the MVK we have the removable front mask so the speed holes could be hidden:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xxE9QvTN7Y