GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Theoretical top speed...?

AutoXinMK5

Touring Car Champion
I was curious if anyone knew the gearing of our transmissions, what the theoretical top speed of each gear was (6th obviously being the theoretical top speed) I'm specifically interested in the M/T but I wouldn't mind seeing the DSG numbers either.

lucian916

Passed Driver's Ed
I, personally, have taken my 06 GTi with APR 91 up to 154 before I stopped. At about 140 it slowly creeps up there. You need a lot of road. However I also found out that the cops in southern California are awesome an they only wrote me a ticket for doing 100 instead of 150+ which is $394 vs. over a grand... I have a video to back it up if interested PM..

agpatel

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI MkV

trevor

Southeast Forum Dictator
Car(s)
Subaru WRX STI
~180mph

AutoXinMK5

Touring Car Champion
I've had it 150+ in the 5th/6th area... I wasn't really paying attention to the gear I was in beacuse at that speed you can't afford to look down...

Does anyone atleast know our gear ratios and final drive numbers?

BlAcKwIdOw29

3124/5000
That's cool I'm happy with the limited 130 thank you. Pa roads really suck and would really hurt hitting a pothole at 150+. Thought the DSG was only good for about 150, or so I've heard due to gearing.

AutoXinMK5

Touring Car Champion
BlAcKwIdOw29 said:
That's cool I'm happy with the limited 130 thank you. Pa roads really suck and would really hurt hitting a pothole at 150+. Thought the DSG was only good for about 150, or so I've heard due to gearing.

Yeah.... I'd love to find some real numbers. Even if I had numbers of each gear and the final drive numbers I can go crunch the numbers from there, but nobody seems to know yet.

The only theoretical number I really want to know is the speed in each gear based on numbers. like 7000rpm in 1st would be, 2nd would be, 3rd, ect... Not really worried about considering the drag coeffiecent and HP of the motor and how it affects the top speed.

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
Taken from VW specs for the GTI

Manual DSG
1st 3.36 3.46
2nd 2.09 2.15
3rd 1.47 1.46
4th 1.10 1.08
5th 1.11 1.09
6th 0.93 0.92
Reverse 3.99 3.99
Final I 3.94 4.06
Final II 3.09 3.14

GTI 2.0T

Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
mkv GTI
^^

thats above 150mph and im stock,,so u dont need a chip to pass 140 mph :biggrin:

GTI 2.0T

Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
mkv GTI
maybe :S .. but the car has the power to get above 140mph