GOLFMKV

Theoretical top speed...?

AutoXinMK5

Touring Car Champion
EL_3grab said:
guys the speedo is off .. and the gap increase when you go higher and higher

150 speedo = 140 climate ... been there

please look to your climate at 19 for km or 19.01 for mph

Yeah, unless you do the numbers out by math rather then looking at the speedo.

If you remember the approximate RPM you can get the approximate speed you were traveling based on gears.

fusion01

Ready to race!
Car(s)
BMW 135i
Well I can't comment on 'theoretical' but real-world testing! My euro-spec GTI:

Tonight I pushed my max speed with 260 kph on the clock (162.5 mph). Lovely downhill straight with revs sitting at 6k. Had a little more left there, but considering the downhill, I reckon I hit the top speed of 235 kps (what with overexaggeration on the clock). It was over quickly at that speed: road gets eaten voraciously. The experience inspired confidence: all felt damn solid.

Manual gearbox / 18's... although this really should make little difference.

ketchupfreak

Go Kart Champion
Tons of misinfo here. If your car is stock, it has a limiter. I maxed out my stock 07 dsg and sure the speedo read around 140mph. I have a gps system that is really accurate and it posted a true speed of 126mph. That was right after the shift to 6th. If the limiter wasnt there, I am sure it would have went to 140-150 true speed.

BlAcKwIdOw29

3124/5000
I was under the impression that stock gti's were limited to 130mph and the euro cars 140mph. Now the highest I've had mine was about 120 and got there with relative ease. Pretty much all the auto mags that you read pretty much state the same thing and post the gti with a *limited 130*..

ketchupfreak

Go Kart Champion

That was it. Wouldnt go any further. I know the pics are blurry. The GPS says 126 at the middle bottom of the screen. I went at that speed for at least 10 seconds and it wouldnt go any further.

srbsta

Banned
Car(s)
2006 Volkswagen GTI
crazy speed daemons lol i hit around 250km/h for the ppl that live in australia NSW, sydney i did it on the M2 and was suprised on how fast i got to that speed so yeh i am not doing that again lol i am stock BTW

fuscobal

Go Kart Champion
Dyno said :

237kmh in 5th
283kmh in 6th

Theese are on 17" wheels and cipped car. A friend got 291kmh on 18" wheels and stock car. Maximum speed got on freeway was 260kmh for me and 250kmh for him, just like in the pics above. Must mention when i had 260kmh on the clock, the climatronic showed a real speed of 245kmh

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
US cars are limited to 133mph
EU cars are IIRC limited to something like 144?

I've had my car at 155mph in Germany, verified using a GPS speed thingy. I only had a quick glance at the speedo, needle was reading in excess of 160something.

applen

niquidlitrogen
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport
based on those final drive ratio's listed in this thread and stock tire sizes in 6th gear i've calculated:

Manual w/18s:
@6500 RPM = 157 mph = 252.7 kph
@7000 RPM = 169.08 mph = 272.1 kph

DSG w/18s:
@6500 RPM = 154.5 mph = 248.6 kph
@7000 RPM = 166.39 mph = 267.8 kph

Manual w/17s:
@6500 RPM = 156.28 mph = 251.5 kph
@7000 RPM = 168.3 mph = 270.9 kph

DSG w/17s:
@6500 RPM = 153.8 mph = 247.5 kph
@7000 RPM = 165.61 mph = 266.5 kph

while this says nothing about computer limited top-speed, reflash status (and capability to reach these speeds), discrepancy between speedometer speed and actual speed, or variations due to actual tire pressure, it should give us all an idea of what we are capable of given our stock wheels and transmissions.

if you want me to run any specific numbers let me know, i made a whole spreadsheet (with all gears), or i can just send you the excell file and you can edit tire sizes and drive ratios to your liking.

Last edited:

Thumper9

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI MkV
hrrmm i guess different for US, all the guys up here in Canada have that mini pic of a speedometer with an arrow.

RedRobin

Going With The Flow....
Car(s)
Throbbin' Red VeeDub
You guys claiming speeds of 150mph plus are talking bollox! The stock speedo is always optimistic. For example, mine against a GPS speedo is 13% out, so 100 mph on the clock is actually only 87 mph in reality and the higher the speed the bigger the inaccuracy.

On GPS readout, I've done 143 mph on a German autobahn (legally) with a bit more to go but the acceleration really slows above about 135 mph. My GTI was stock and not remapped at that time.