GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Tech Behind the New FrankenTurbo MixedFlow F23T Hybrid Turbocharger

doug@frankenturbo

Turbos Galore
Car(s)
Gary Fisher HiFi
So is it safe to say that the new F23T's should play nicely with most K04 tunes when coupled with an mbc?

I'm going to withhold saying that until I've seen data logs from the various K04 files out there. But I suspect the turbo will do a good job of emulating a K04 turbo if paired with (solid) K04 software. But it likely will NOT show its true colors unless given the boost duty it can use.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
The above brings up a point that I've been confused about since ECS started selling the F23T. I have noticed that they are now listing the ones they sell as hybrid, so this seems as good of a place to post this as any. Their write-up says:

"With FrankenTurbo you have the option of running this turbo upgrade on your stock tune and components, or upgrading your tune and components for a more powerful experience."

I'm somewhat confused about the "stock tune" part of this. So, I need no ECU modification whatsoever to run this turbo? I thought any aftermarket turbo would require some sort of tuning.

Zach L

VR junkie
378whp is so impressive for a turbo that costs 1300$....But the problem persists in eurodyne,i will need an expert to tune the car
This.

I like the product you guys have, but I won't buy a Frankenturbo until the hardware is consistent enough that a company writes a file that doesn't need to be tuned. I want to bolt up the hardware, flash the ECU, and drive away.

RRacerguy717

Go Kart Champion
378whp is so impressive for a turbo that costs 1300$....But the problem persists in eurodyne,i will need an expert to tune the car

Seems that's why they changed to this " mix flow" turbine wheel I believe it's the same one used in the mk6 R k04.

They also learned you can't just crank down on WG there a reason it's set soft so it will open a bit if needed during spool and relieve back pressure at WOT if needed ,.

APR been doing this on there Stage 3 kits since 2000 using a softer WG actuator because it's easier to control boost pressure either it be MBC and especially with ECU via N75.

I'm sure this will be more friendly with other K04 sw on the market .If you look at there b4 and after graph above it's taken the spikes out.
They should IMO also look at other additional ways to reduce back pressure so it won't effect those select vw with weaker valve springs. Its a nice option for those with low budget , it looks like there on the right track and I wish them luck Bob G

This.

I like the product you guys have, but I won't buy a Frankenturbo until the hardware is consistent enough that a company writes a file that doesn't need to be tuned. I want to bolt up the hardware, flash the ECU, and drive away.

that could be hard to do for the f23t price point. i thought they used the k04 stock WG/N75 so that the boost PID could just be copied from a stock k04 car and give a very good starting point for boost control. same with APR. i could be wrong tho...

Fernas

Mexibahn Native
Car(s)
MKV GLI "Red Baron"
Yeah might consider this turbo when a tuning company like apr uni revo Dm start writing files for it

DM did, they could re-open the support for the F23T if the consistency issues are sorted out, i think they had minor issues even with the K04+ tune, that is still offered by them.

I know UNI doesnt have a tune for the F23T but it seems that their K04 tune plays just fine with the turbo, a friend of mine is running it as we speak, i think he doesnt even have a MBC.

doug@frankenturbo

Turbos Galore
Car(s)
Gary Fisher HiFi

This.

Honestly, I don't think it's going to be possible to develop an off-the-shelf software file that can match the 378whp results we've seen on Eurodyne's Maestro. The base file available in the Eurodyne library is very good, but power levels in the 400bhp range simply require mapping adjustments in the Maestro editor.

Seems that's why they changed to this " mix flow" turbine wheel I believe it's the same one used in the mk6 R k04.

They also learned you can't just crank down on WG there a reason it's set soft so it will open a bit if needed during spool and relieve back pressure at WOT if needed

That's right. We listened to customer feedback and went with what they had to say. The consensus view was a slight loss in spool performance was a fair trade for better high-boost controllability. So we altered our actuator's preload setting and tested it. The new MixedFlow turbo variant will retain that moderate preload setting, and it's testing to be very cooperative with software commands.

Regarding our rotor, the Mk6 Golf R has a BorgWarner K04 turbo in it. If you were to draw comparisons with our MixedFlow rotor, the new IHI unit in the Mk 7 Golf R is much more similar. IHI blazed the trail for mixed flow rotor designs in petrol engines when they won the contract for all the Gen1 EA888 TSI motors. Now, with the Generation 3 EA888 they incorporate their mixed flow rotor design across the entire VAG product line.

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't think it's going to be possible to develop an off-the-shelf software file that can match the 378whp results we've seen on Eurodyne's Maestro. The base file available in the Eurodyne library is very good, but power levels in the 400bhp range simply require mapping adjustments in the Maestro editor.

That's right. We listened to customer feedback and went with what they had to say. The consensus view was a slight loss in spool performance was a fair trade for better high-boost controllability. So we altered our actuator's preload setting and tested it. The new MixedFlow turbo variant will retain that moderate preload setting, and it's testing to be very cooperative with software commands.

Regarding our rotor, the Mk6 Golf R has a BorgWarner K04 turbo in it. If you were to draw comparisons with our MixedFlow rotor, the new IHI unit in the Mk 7 Golf R is much more similar. IHI blazed the trail for mixed flow rotor designs in petrol engines when they won the contract for all the Gen1 EA888 TSI motors. Now, with the Generation 3 EA888 they incorporate their mixed flow rotor design across the entire VAG product line.
you convinced me! I'm gonna get to work on open source diy tuning using tuner pro and very inexpensive flashing equipment. ($50 or less)

Robert aoun

Ready to race!
Similar hybrids turbos are way more priced then franken.... if this time problems will be fixed this turbo will be the next Booming in the mkv platform lets see the first customers review and then we will all decide

CWMotorsportMkV

Similar hybrids turbos are way more priced then franken.... if this time problems will be fixed this turbo will be the next Booming in the mkv platform lets see the first customers review and then we will all decide

Well here it is, albeit a few weeks too late..."first" (am I??) mixed flow F23T review...will update as things develop!!

Damn!!! That's impressive! Was that on a stock motor? And also curious if you guys have worked out the quirky wastegates, I heard of some issues with crazy boost spikes and the need to run a manual or electronic boost controller.

The wastegates weren't quirky, the cracking pressure was simply set higher in the beginning of the product's lifecycle...not an issue now, they're all set to 9psi (could be 8psi, I'll defer to Doug on that one)

This.

Then you have no reason to wait, the time is now. The "inconsistencies" were related to my previous statement about the experimenting with wastegate cracking pressure. There is no inconsistency now, it's 9psi on all new F23T's. I had my shop foreman install mine, I'm running Uni's K04 file (all supporting mods including S3 injectors etc.) and simply "drove off" with a car that ran as smooth as it was stock, stage 2+ and K04 (had a BW K04-064 prior to my F23T).

Yeah might consider this turbo when a tuning company like apr uni revo Dm start writing files for it

Again, the time is now...Unitronics makes a file for the F23T guys...visit their website, click the FAQ's...they lay it all out there for you. I spoke with them and they simply don't advertise the file (why would they, they promote and sell their own K04 hardware/software). It may not tweak every last ounce of juice out of the new mixed flow F23T but it is turbo specific and creates more boost and power than running on their K04 file. I will be purchasing the Uni Connect cable and upgrading my tune in April...will def log and update so we can see the before logs (see below) and after...I'm excited because the car already pulls MUCH harder than my K04 ever did.

So I saw those posts and felt obligated to reply so people can start wrapping their heads around the fact that Doug and Frankenturbo have an awesome product that is certainly worth consideration if you're upgrading your stock turbo, I'd say even if you're looking for a worthwhile upgrade from K04. Doug, I apologize I haven't posted sooner (installed March 2nd) but I've been crazy busy with work, the car and getting the nursery and everything else ready for my baby boy coming in a couple months (already rocking the full Recaro car seat stroller setup lmao!!).

I'm Josh, live in NH and work for an Audi dealership here. I've been into driving and modding VW/Audi's since 2000 when I had a stroked, balanced and blueprinted 12v VR6 Jetta with a lightened flywheel and GIAC software (God I miss that all-motor car, should never have let her go even tho she was nowhere near as fast as my GTI). I had a K04-064 go bad on me, wasn't the turbo's fault, PCV froze on a long winter drive and starved my previous engine and, at the time, brand new K04 of oil. The shaft play when we took it out was staggering and she pulled strong all the way to the bitter, smoky end lol!

My shop foreman installed my F23T with the MBC (rec'd by Doug) on March 2nd. He was actually quite impressed with the overall quality and fitment of the F23T, which is saying something because he isn't in love with the mod scene being a dealer technician (almost thought he would say no to installing haha). My first drive in the car we set the MBC all the way conservative and I was only boosting 14ish psi, but the car was buttery smooth, the SOUND was SOOO much better than my K04 (turbo muffler delete allows for a euphoric mechanical turbine spooling sound, almost like a jet engine but not obnoxious...I was in heaven), and the car pulled VERY hard. Over the next few days, continuously peppering Doug with questions and updates (he is in fact as good or better than advertised regarding service...you won't find a more attentive, responsive and considerate contact in the industry) I decided to remove the MBC altogether. My concern was the same as everyone's here...boost spikes, surges etc. (and this is my 2nd motor and 3rd turbo..with a kid coming I can't afford another catastrophe).

Let me tell you...on my Uni K04 file the car runs perfectly...I only boost to about 18psi unless I'm in 4th 5th or 6th (can just touch 20psi) but I'm considerably faster than I was K04. As a reference for you guys out there, we have a 2013 Audi TT-RS on my lot...check out the performance numbers for yourself, they're sick...but not sick enough to get away from my little MKV GTI!!! 2nd gear pull from 30mph through 4th gear I was all over the rear bumper of the RS (was behind thinking he'd pull on me and side by side wasn't an option where we were.) I almost lost my marbles when the same results happened with the next car...a 2014 Porsche 911 C4S (we have a Porsche dealership here too). Although it wasn't a perfect chance my best friend has a VR6-T Jetta pushing 450+ and my buddy from service here has a Stage 3+ MKIV GTI...I'm SLIGHTLY faster than both of them doing 35mph rolls...and all this is on my K04 tune.

Talk is cheap, as you can see I don't post on forums very often at all, even though I've been a member here for years...I'm 34 and don't care much what the internet crowd has to say about my car, it's my car and what I think is all I'm concerned with. Also, I know cars pretty well and have extensive knowledge and experience with cars (but I'm not a mechanic with full understanding of all the intricacies this engine throws at us i.e timing etc.) like the V10 R8, RS-7 (both in my showroom right now) so it makes me chuckle to see a lot of the online chatter and BS being lobbed back and forth by people who either don't own or don't know certain products. I also have logs to share that I think will be of interest to people, admittedly logging is relatively new for me so I'm not the best at looking purely at the logs and telling you what I see, but take a look below...feel free to hit me up with questions etc., if I can answer them I will...and a big thank-you to Doug, who was there when I had questions (daily for months) and even when I admittedly got a bit upset waiting for the new mixed flow prototype to be ready, built and shipped to me) :thumbsup:

View attachment Copy of LOG-01-003-020-118 F23T - Unitronic K04 (2).pdf

View attachment Copy of LOG-02-002-114-115 F23T - Unitronic K04 FSI N75 control (2).pdf

Last edited:

Fernas

Mexibahn Native
Car(s)
MKV GLI "Red Baron"
Great post and a great review of Doug´s product, i am a F23T user myself so i consider myself a supporter, i have to correct you on one part, Unitronic AFAIK do not offer a file for the F23T, they offer files for the 1.8T F23 and some other turbos for that engine (i have read their FAQ a few times while i was looking for a tune), but not for the 2.0T, with that said, it seems that their 2+ (K04) file plays really well with FT´s hardware.

Edit: I see that you have some timing issues, car is pulling up to -8.3° on cyl 1, IAT looks good, are you running on 93 octane fuel? if not you might want to do it, or add some water/meth injection.

Last edited:

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Great review. Installed my K04 in January, went back and forth between it and a F23T. I will probably move to a F23T if my K04 ever dies.