GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
You can avoid getting that smell in the first place by using the fresh air setting on your a/c. Apparently the recirculation setting makes the mold build up easier. I use the recirc at first to get the car nice and cool, then I switch it to outside air. It is warmer, but once the car is cool it's all good.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
You can avoid getting that smell in the first place by using the fresh air setting on your a/c. Apparently the recirculation setting makes the mold build up easier. I use the recirc at first to get the car nice and cool, then I switch it to outside air. It is warmer, but once the car is cool it's all good.
i imagine climate has some part in it too. i usually dont use recirc and get the feet smell in late spring when its damp and humid out.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Used to battle a/c odors all the time at dealer. Here's a good one... Client states "a/c has bad odor" It's a basically brand new car, under 10k miles. I get in it and I'm like damn this thing smells like ass. I pull it in my bay in preparation for a evaporator treatment/filter. I start to look around the car and pop the trunk. There's a pile of clothes in the trunk, and the first thing on the top is some type of sports jersey. Without thinking I grab it to pick it up and it's completely soaked in sweat.. Lmao who would do that and expect the a/c to smell good???

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
i usually dont use recirc and get the feet smell in late spring when its damp and humid out.
Ah, really?? You could certainly be right, Ugly, Lord knows we've got enough humidity here and then some. My car shop people told me it was more prone with people that used the recirc, but it is the condensation that makes it happen

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
The search tool on this site is kind of useless, and this has most likely been asked a million times, but would I be fine running a universal 02 spacer or should I spend a bit more for like a name brand? They all look the same and I’ll only need it once a year for TX emissions readiness.

Was thinking this one: Would it work fine?

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
The search tool on this site is kind of useless, and this has most likely been asked a million times, but would I be fine running a universal 02 spacer or should I spend a bit more for like a name brand? They all look the same and I’ll only need it once a year for TX emissions readiness.

I would say get this one for a dollar more:

https://www.raimotorsport.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=11619VIB

Because it's got the different inlet inserts you can play around with it until you can keep readiness. I bought two so that I can configure the inlets as needed to pass CBFA Readiness.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do

They're all pretty much the same. As long as you angle it towards the front of the car I'm sure it would work just as good as the others.

GolNat

Autocross Champion

I run a no name one like saabingti posted with the inserts. Got it off Amazon. I use the smallest insert and have not had any issues, I'm CBFA.

Euromeister

Passed Driver's Ed
My clutch pedal has been getting worse and worse lately. Video of the noise below. Could this be the clutch master cylinder, bolt that it's hinged on, or the spring above it? Everything seems well greased up already. I found some related forum posts but nothing too helpful. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
My clutch pedal has been getting worse and worse lately. Video of the noise below. Could this be the clutch master cylinder, bolt that it's hinged on, or the spring above it? Everything seems well greased up already. I found some related forum posts but nothing too helpful. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My guess would be TOB starting to go.. @op do you have slipping or engagement issues with your clutch/trans?

Euromeister

Passed Driver's Ed
My guess would be TOB starting to go.. @op do you have slipping or engagement issues with your clutch/trans?
6MT. It started to squeal upon engagement in low temps this winter. It stopped once it warmed up and with warm weather.