GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Poor Mans Mod Page

LBVdubin

Baggin aint easy
Ok so here's what I'm thinking, since the day I got my GTI I've always wanted a cradle for my Iphone to charge and play songs. Not sure what materials I'll use or how it will work yet but the idea is that it will sit in the cup holder, be completely removable, and offer great functionality when you need it. This would also work for any Ipod as well I'm thinking of even making these and selling them for $10-$20. Anyone interested?:biggrin:

Last edited:

Raven6t9

Noise Pipe Plugs FTW!!!
Car(s)
~MKV GTI~
Ok so here's what I'm thinking, since the day I got my GTI I've always wanted a cradle for my Iphone to charge and play songs. Not sure what materials I'll use or how it will work yet but the idea is that it will sit in the cup holder, be completely removable, and offer great functionality when you need it. This would also work for any Ipod as well I'm thinking of even making these and selling them for $10-$20. Anyone interested?:biggrin:

Sorry to bust your bubble buddy but they make them already, I have one, somewhere. My mom got it for like $5-$10 and didnt like it so she gave it to me. Its got a space for what looks like and iPod, a spot for a pen and I think some quarters, and its made out of foam and shaped like a cup so it fits right in.
The good part is that it definately looks like its in need of improvement. If I find it I'll take a pic and show you.

Raven6t9

Noise Pipe Plugs FTW!!!
Car(s)
~MKV GTI~
Well, probably a good few thousand miles. Maybe not that long. But my 13.990@100.02 is with it busted. Those are Stg 1 drag numbers and mph; not Stg 2. Used to spike 21-23, hold 18-19psi. Now it's spike at 18 in top gears, 17 otherwise, hold at 15psi. Stock mode is 10psi all around.

Damn that sux homie. Id like to know what your mods are or maybe at least your boost gauge, cus my stage II peaks at 25 and holds 21-22psi. Who are you chipped by?

Raven6t9

Noise Pipe Plugs FTW!!!
Car(s)
~MKV GTI~
I may have to try some of that Ethos stuff.
Im getting mixed reviews (from people who havent tried it of course) But I have it in my GTI and Ive noticed a small difference on milage (This is a bad tank to do an example on since Ive done some odd driving on it) and I definately notice that the car runs much smoother and is much peppier.

LBVdubin

Baggin aint easy
Sorry to bust your bubble buddy but they make them already, I have one, somewhere. My mom got it for like $5-$10 and didnt like it so she gave it to me. Its got a space for what looks like and iPod, a spot for a pen and I think some quarters, and its made out of foam and shaped like a cup so it fits right in.
The good part is that it definately looks like its in need of improvement. If I find it I'll take a pic and show you.

Damn:frown:

Well about that ethos, how much is it per tank to run that stuff because if its more than like $.50 im not sure its even worth the savings. But aside from the money benefit is there a noticeable performance difference?

Raven6t9

Noise Pipe Plugs FTW!!!
Car(s)
~MKV GTI~
Damn:frown:

Well about that ethos, how much is it per tank to run that stuff because if its more than like $.50 im not sure its even worth the savings. But aside from the money benefit is there a noticeable performance difference?
Well the 32oz container is $80 but I get it for $65 from my work, and you only add about 1.5oz per fill up. My boss got something like an extra 60 miles on his tank of gas without changing his driving patterns in an 08 Shelby GT. And my other boss got his best lap times ever when he put it in his Elise at the track.
They also gave some to this guy in a Z06 that kept overheating at the track and he didnt overheat again.:thumbsup:

Raven6t9

Noise Pipe Plugs FTW!!!
Car(s)
~MKV GTI~
Hey dude, what about using that top portion of the jug since its cone shaped? just cut the hole in the center bigger to fit the same size tube.:iono:
Might be a little large though huh?

LBVdubin

Baggin aint easy
Hey dude, what about using that top portion of the jug since its cone shaped? just cut the hole in the center bigger to fit the same size tube.:iono:
Might be a little large though huh?

I know I was thinking about that, it might work but it didnt't seem like it was angled enough towards the pipe...if that makes any sense?

Raven6t9

Noise Pipe Plugs FTW!!!
Car(s)
~MKV GTI~
I know I was thinking about that, it might work but it didnt't seem like it was angled enough towards the pipe...if that makes any sense?
I was thinking the same thing earlier, it would need to be pointed upward, but a heat gun can take care of that. Actually, Im sure a heat gun can help you mold that piece you already have perfectly into place.:thumbsup:

Raven6t9

Noise Pipe Plugs FTW!!!
Car(s)
~MKV GTI~
So Im awarding the "Poor Man of the Week" award to the guy that can come up with the DIY for the best way to make the inner lights more functional. Theres not much that you can do with them as is, and I havent seen very many ideas on what to do about it. The one who comes up with the best gets my "Poor Man of the Week" lol.

Winner walks away with the bum cup!!!!!:happyanim:

LBVdubin

Baggin aint easy
Hahah! I could probably take those pennies and get a whole wopping drop of gas with it:happyanim:

I'm down but what do you want to do with the lights? I don't really understand, do you mean changing the color of it or changing where they point, etc. etc.

theholycow

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1980 Buick LeSabre
LBVdubin, I think he means to change them so they come on some time when you might want more light -- for example, with high beams as ruffellprefley suggests. Maybe there's some other time when they'd be useful? I don't remember what they are for, how bright they are/where they are aimed, or when they come on normally.

I used to do lots of stuff like that on my truck, as I was commuting 45 minutes per day through backroads and rural highways through dense deer territory, almost always in the dark.

These days my commute is slightly less rural but more importantly, it's daylight when I go to work and still daylight when I go home, so I haven't bothered with lighting mods in my VW.

Last edited: