GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Official Road Rage Story Thread

[Old User]

Go Kart Champion
I was pretty hot headed, years ago, when driving was still a new concept to me. It wasn't a superiority complex, more aggravation that so many people have plain terrible habits. Not to say I'm Aryton Senna, but I always try to be aware and conscious of other drivers, and can say with some confidence that I'm at least a LITTLE better then most.

Recently, though, I started a new job and am driving into the city every day. The biggest pet peeve from my previous commute that was mainly turnpike driving (~3 years ago) reared its ugly head again. After going back to school the amount of driving I did dropped significantly and I forgot about it until recently.

Lane hoggers.

WTF are you doing sitting in the left lane doing 5 below the speed limit? When you see 15 cars behind you, all close to each other, does it not indicate that moving over would be the logical thing to do? When people are passing you on the right, that should signify that you need to MOVE THE HELL OVER.

Tunnel vision must be so real for half the friggin population. Like GTFO of my way. People are so fucking oblivious. I always move out of the way if someone comes up behind me going faster. Who am I to dictate how fast they drive? Is the following chain of logic, (hmm, nobody is in front of me, I am not passing the car in the slow lane to my right, the car behind me is up my trumpet and the 12 cars behind him are also. Perhaps I should move) really that difficult?

I think some drivers just get in the car and completely tune out from the rest of the world, as if driving a vehicle suddenly waives situational awareness and recognition that OTHER people also use the road.

This shit really pisses me off. Especially when someone won't move and you get boxed in next to a big rig. Move. Out. Of. The. Goddamn. Way.

/rant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I got stuck behind a pretty bad lane hogger today. It's a 3 lane road and the guy is driving in the middle lane with 1/4, nearly 1/2 at times, of his car in the lane to the right of him. He drove like that for probably a mile before he finally fully committed to changing lanes and immediately took a right turn.

I rode on his ass pretty hard. It's all I could do.

I had something else happen that annoyed me a little bit too. Just going down this road in the work truck, big ass 2500 dodge with a long bed, and this guy pulls out right in front of me and makes me hit my brakes pretty hard. Then he takes a right turn like 20 feet afterwards. The part that annoys me...There was nobody behind me, nobody even in sight. Why did he have to rush out in front of me? WHY DAMNIT?!

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
lane hogging makes me so annoyed. like move the fuck over dude. If you dont want 100 cars "cutting you off" you should move over. I purposefully move over in front of them after i pass not like a super cut off but a mild cut off to let them know i feel they are douches.

piesGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
lane hogging makes me so annoyed. like move the fuck over dude. If you dont want 100 cars "cutting you off" you should move over. I purposefully move over in front of them after i pass not like a super cut off but a mild cut off to let them know i feel they are douches.

I ran into this just this morning on my way in to work. Lane hogger's give me the red ass so bad that I usually cut them off pretty decently when I finally get around them.

Just move out of the way, what in god's name is the big deal?!

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI
I ran into this just this morning on my way in to work. Lane hogger's give me the red ass so bad that I usually cut them off pretty decently when I finally get around them.

Just move out of the way, what in god's name is the big deal?!

yeah i've driven on the highways out by you.. i know that i have to shift from normal driving to driving like im from providence (all offense all the time, no turn signal). that's how i survived a recent road trip to PA and NJ in a huge-ass van with friends. every time i was gonna make a big move, i'd say to the other guys in the van:

piesGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
yeah i've driven on the highways out by you.. i know that i have to shift from normal driving to driving like im from providence (all offense all the time, no turn signal). that's how i survived a recent road trip to PA and NJ in a huge-ass van with friends. every time i was gonna make a big move, i'd say to the other guys in the van:

Dude, I'm originally from SC and the biggest culture shock for me was the driving. It's SO aggressive, it's SO obnoxious... The first time I drove through Boston I was sure I was going to die, but I didn't know if it was going to be because someone hit me or from a heart-attack due to all of the times I was almost hit.

290 so far is the worst. At least on 495 people get out of the way, but on 290 I can get stuck at 65mph in the fast lane with the middle and slow lane both doing 55-65 so I can't get around anyone.

Now that I'm back in something small and sporty that can handle it, I find myself weaving through traffic a lot more than I have in a while (driving the Tacoma is not conducive to trying to weave through 3 lanes of fucktards).

I had something else happen that annoyed me a little bit too. Just going down this road in the work truck, big ass 2500 dodge with a long bed, and this guy pulls out right in front of me and makes me hit my brakes pretty hard. Then he takes a right turn like 20 feet afterwards. The part that annoys me...There was nobody behind me, nobody even in sight. Why did he have to rush out in front of me? WHY DAMNIT?!

Also, just because now I'm flaming thinking about it - the biggest difference I've noticed going from the truck to the GTI is that people cut me off ALL THE TIME NOW. I always run with my headlights on (not DRL, I turn the switch) which is a habit I got into a long time ago, I know these mf'ers see me! They never did it in the Tacoma, which wasn't lifted or anything like crazy, all stock just a Tacoma - but man I've had to slam on my brakes WAY too many times.

Yesterday it happened twice within 2 miles AND THERE WAS NO ONE BEHIND ME. YOU SERIOUSLY COULDN'T HAVE WAITED ANOTHER THREE GOTDAM SECONDS FOR ME TO SCOOT BY YOU BEFORE YOU PULLED OUT IN FRONT OF ME AND THEN YOU DIDN'T EVEN GO THE FKING SPEEDLIMIT

oh my god i need to go punch something now

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI
Dude, I'm originally from SC and the biggest culture shock for me was the driving. It's SO aggressive, it's SO obnoxious... The first time I drove through Boston I was sure I was going to die, but I didn't know if it was going to be because someone hit me or from a heart-attack due to all of the times I was almost hit.

290 so far is the worst. At least on 495 people get out of the way, but on 290 I can get stuck at 65mph in the fast lane with the middle and slow lane both doing 55-65 so I can't get around anyone.

Now that I'm back in something small and sporty that can handle it, I find myself weaving through traffic a lot more than I have in a while (driving the Tacoma is not conducive to trying to weave through 3 lanes of fucktards).

Also, just because now I'm flaming thinking about it - the biggest difference I've noticed going from the truck to the GTI is that people cut me off ALL THE TIME NOW. I always run with my headlights on (not DRL, I turn the switch) which is a habit I got into a long time ago, I know these mf'ers see me! They never did it in the Tacoma, which wasn't lifted or anything like crazy, all stock just a Tacoma - but man I've had to slam on my brakes WAY too many times.

Yesterday it happened twice within 2 miles AND THERE WAS NO ONE BEHIND ME. YOU SERIOUSLY COULDN'T HAVE WAITED ANOTHER THREE GOTDAM SECONDS FOR ME TO SCOOT BY YOU BEFORE YOU PULLED OUT IN FRONT OF ME AND THEN YOU DIDN'T EVEN GO THE FKING SPEEDLIMIT

oh my god i need to go punch something now

yeah its not so bad up here. people usually know that fast lane is for passing or crazy speeders. left two lanes are good for that. everyone else stays away or at least wont speed up or slow down when there's people like me unclogging things from the fast lane

piesGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
yeah its not so bad up here. people usually know that fast lane is for passing or crazy speeders. left two lanes are good for that. everyone else stays away or at least wont speed up or slow down when there's people like me unclogging things from the fast lane

Now if only we can teach massholes to do the same thing....

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI
Now if only we can teach massholes to do the same thing....

RI would have to go away first. not gonna happen.

whenever i have to take 495 or 29-0 i stay in the fast lane with the flow of traffic until one exit before i need to get off. radar detectors are a handy thing to have in the region.

piesGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
RI would have to go away first. not gonna happen.

whenever i have to take 495 or 29-0 i stay in the fast lane with the flow of traffic until one exit before i need to get off. radar detectors are a handy thing to have in the region.

I'm only on 290 for a few miles and there's only one favorite cop hiding spot that I've ever seen used on this stretch (up by 495). I have seen them sitting there only once thus far, which is good because by the time I get to where they like to hide I'm raging pretty well from all the douche canoes I've been stuck behind.

I think I need to find a better way to get to work lol

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
i understand road rage from my own experience. I wont come to blows with somebody or chase them down but i will be super fucking angry in the car and pissed off for a couple minutes. Im not sure what i would do if someone chased me or tried to stop me.

But i dont actively initiate the assault/battery.

piesGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
i understand road rage from my own experience. I wont come to blows with somebody or chase them down but i will be super fucking angry in the car and pissed off for a couple minutes. Im not sure what i would do if someone chased me or tried to stop me.

But i dont actively initiate the assault/battery.

This for sure. I've gotten mighty pissed off and there's usually some shouting inside the car and plenty of cuss words flyin' around, but I've never actively gone after someone or their car or anything like that. Nor have I ever had anyone come after me.

Trytun

Go Kart Champion

I'm from the farmlands of Illinois, the busiest road we had is two lanes each way through town and our highways were small. Then I moved to LA. My first year here I had my big Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road and holy shit I thought I was going to die every day. I can relate so well to this.

But today I was driving on the outskirts of LA on the 60 going west and there was a typical lane hogger going 55 in a 65 in the far left in her big AMG Benz SUV, just cruising along. This is normal for SoCal though, so I really didn't think anything of it, had my windows open and cursing along. This big diesel Chevy 2500 with all these "Christians for Gun Ownership" stickers covering his tailgate decided he wanted to be literally right where my car was so he just started merging into me and I had to quickly jerk into the carpool lane - thankfully there wasn't anyone in the lane at the time. I laid into my horn and sped up to get around them both and the guy flipped me off and whipped into the carpool lane behind me and was so close I couldn't see his headlights anymore. So I merged over out of the carpool lane and he again merged onto where I was so I jerked over behind a big rig and another big rig must have seen what the guy was doin and got behind him as I slowed down. The guy was clearly a psycho, glad I got away before he lost his shit. I got off the highway and got a coffee to make sure he was well and gone.

piesGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm from the farmlands of Illinois, the busiest road we had is two lanes each way through town and our highways were small. Then I moved to LA. My first year here I had my big Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road and holy shit I thought I was going to die every day. I can relate so well to this.

But today I was driving on the outskirts of LA on the 60 going west and there was a typical lane hogger going 55 in a 65 in the far left in her big AMG Benz SUV, just cruising along. This is normal for SoCal though, so I really didn't think anything of it, had my windows open and cursing along. This big diesel Chevy 2500 with all these "Christians for Gun Ownership" stickers covering his tailgate decided he wanted to be literally right where my car was so he just started merging into me and I had to quickly jerk into the carpool lane - thankfully there wasn't anyone in the lane at the time. I laid into my horn and sped up to get around them both and the guy flipped me off and whipped into the carpool lane behind me and was so close I couldn't see his headlights anymore. So I merged over out of the carpool lane and he again merged onto where I was so I jerked over behind a big rig and another big rig must have seen what the guy was doin and got behind him as I slowed down. The guy was clearly a psycho, glad I got away before he lost his shit. I got off the highway and got a coffee to make sure he was well and gone.

Holy balls, dude. Some people are just psycho and there's nothing you can do about it, which is why I usually play it safe like you and just get off the highway once I see that crazy switch get flipped. Time to go, do not want to be around whenever it blows.

Reminds of me of when I was 17 and I got run off the road by a HUGE truck on I44 at 2am between Tulsa and St Louis. I was all alone, it was like 2am and I was inbound toward St. Louis when this guy decided he needed to be in the right lane where I was, in the exact spot that I was. Thankfully I was awake enough to see him, ended up on the shoulder shaking for a solid 5 minutes before I could go again.

brobst

Go Kart Champion
While tailgating is annoying, I think the most obnoxious road rage thing is the brake check.
If you hit them you have to deal with their crap. If you don't and injure yourself or vehicle in the process, they drive off scott free.
Wasn't anything scarier for me than being at peak boost and someone brake checked me. I had to get off the highway and call my fam up to settle me down

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk