GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Next Car Swap

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
My local BMW dealership is all about selling/leasing to badge whores. In 2013, I wanted a 135is, but all the dealership had was 128s on the lot. They flat out told me that they WOULD NOT locate a 135is for me, so I walked!

I had a similar response at the Mitsubishi dealer when I inquired about putting $10k down to get them to order the Evolution MR. They told me NO too, and tried to sell me on the FRS since they are also a Scion dealership...

Regardless, since when is selling cars about NOT even attempting to get the customer what they are asking for? I'm already dreading the replacement vehicle for the GTI and I am seriously considering buying in another town, or possibly another state!

Chris I can relate. Ive bought so many cars non local its crazy. But our interweb/connected world makes it so easy to DISS-OFF the idiot dealers. Fear not and press on man!

shdwblugti

Go Kart Champion

If you want a little diy project down the road, make your highway transponder a little hidden
Plastidip it black with black velcro.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
After having a GTI with DSG and then the Charger with the ancient but alright auto + flappy paddles coming back to a manual was a must have for a fun car. You can have fun in an auto, particularly a DCT but nothing beats a manual for a true enthusiast.

PrayforMojo

Go Kart Champion
We have both DSG and manual and I like both for different reasons. Manual is fun and keeps my wife away from my car, but the DSG is best for maximum performance.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
If there is an option on a car for DCT and manual, and the DCT is faster/more efficient/etc I see what you are saying. I drank the DCT kool aid and still love that transmission but manuals have been on some really fast cars over time, and it has never been an issue.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Who cares which one is faster? Performance = speed? Suddenly mr. kart racer who really 'knows' about cars and drives a fucking pontiac vibe thinks that speed is the only mark of a performance car? See, you're a troll. BMW combines performance and refinement unlike any other. Its like your comparing my car to a Jetta, showing how ignorant you really are. A fucking Jetta? You've driven neither, while I have driven both. The Jetta may look a little similar on paper but it's not even close. The engine/transmission combo is a wet noodle, it's wrong wheel drive at its finest with a shittastic interior and squeaks and rattles in a brand new car. Does that all equate to performance, no? But the Jetta drives like a turd. Try to cook a 40mph onramp turn at 80mph in the Jetta and tell me how that goes. Take the Jetta up to 120 and tell me how solid it feels. You don't know anything. And you have bad taste in music and you hate black people.
Um yeah, performance is NOT subjective.

You care about primarily subjective things. That's fine and makes more sense if you are not competing in anything - but don't fucking say that you are into performance as any primary consideration. You want a smooth quiet comfortable "refined" car with 4 doors that is semi-responsive and quick enough to get out of its own way. You are not after high performance. Performance vehicles are loud, low, sharp, harsh, rigid, etc.

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
Chris I can relate. Ive bought so many cars non local its crazy. But our interweb/connected world makes it so easy to DISS-OFF the idiot dealers. Fear not and press on man!

The crazy thing is that I know some of the people who work at these dealerships and they complain because their sales have consistently gone down year after year. They just don't get it! If you make no attempt to get me what I want, I'm going to shop with someone who either has what I want OR will get me what I want.

I tried the personal approach last time and all it did was piss me off. I'm trying the internet approach next time and will time the test drives so that I can visit with family and friends.

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
The crazy thing is that I know some of the people who work at these dealerships and they complain because their sales have consistently gone down year after year. They just don't get it! If you make no attempt to get me what I want, I'm going to shop with someone who either has what I want OR will get me what I want.

I tried the personal approach last time and all it did was piss me off. I'm trying the internet approach next time and will time the test drives so that I can visit with family and friends.

+1 - no one will take better care of you - than you. If dealers dont want to have a bit of common sense and courtesy, I will find one who will. Its so easy now.

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
After having a GTI with DSG and then the Charger with the ancient but alright auto + flappy paddles coming back to a manual was a must have for a fun car. You can have fun in an auto, particularly a DCT but nothing beats a manual for a true enthusiast.

I want to test drive the new Challenger SRT8 with the ZF 8HP automatic. While its shifts aren't as fast as the DSG, the ZF is still faster than I am with a manual if the quoted 200 ms shift time is correct.

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
Looks great Plac. Those lights look pretty white to not be HID. :)

Yeah, that day time running light looks like mine below.

J-Cooz

Go Kart Champion
I want to test drive the new Challenger SRT8 with the ZF 8HP automatic. While its shifts aren't as fast as the DSG, the ZF is still faster than I am with a manual if the quoted 200 ms shift time is correct.

I think in sport mode it goes down to 140ms or something. I've driven the transmission over several platforms and its awesome. Super responsive, always in the right gear.

McQueen77

Banned

Yeah especially on your commute to work where it takes 1 hr and 15 min to go 7 miles. So enthusiastic. I agree with you in a perfect world. But otherwise... Its a chore 85% of the time and fun the rest. I think driving manuals in the most congested city in America for 15 years earns me the right to that opinion. You can go on car forums and tell people how driving manual doesn't ever bother you and how it keeps you from getting bored in traffic or whatever the usual adage is but the truth is you just like punishment. That's fine. Some people like hiring a woman to kick them in the balls while being gagged with a tomato but don't try to say it's fun.

Um yeah, performance is NOT subjective.

You care about primarily subjective things. That's fine and makes more sense if you are not competing in anything - but don't fucking say that you are into performance as any primary consideration. You want a smooth quiet comfortable "refined" car with 4 doors that is semi-responsive and quick enough to get out of its own way. You are not after high performance. Performance vehicles are loud, low, sharp, harsh, rigid, etc.

I think a lot of guys who test cars for a living and drive 'performance' variants of BMW's would disagree with you. But this is the internet, so carry on.

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
Yeah especially on your commute to work where it takes 1 hr and 15 min to go 7 miles. So enthusiastic. I agree with you in a perfect world. But otherwise... Its a chore 85% of the time and fun the rest. I think driving manuals in the most congested city in America for 15 years earns me the right to that opinion. You can go on car forums and tell people how driving manual doesn't ever bother you and how it keeps you from getting bored in traffic or whatever the usual adage is but the truth is you just like punishment. That's fine. Some people like hiring a woman to kick them in the balls while being gagged with a tomato but don't try to say it's fun.

You more than paid your dues. I did the same. Westlake Village/Agoura etc. Malibu, OC and San Diego. I have fkn strong left leg. Hard to say it was all enjoyable.

McQueen77

Banned
You more than paid your dues. I did the same. Westlake Village/Agoura etc. Malibu, OC and San Diego. I have fkn strong left leg. Hard to say it was all enjoyable.

Yup. To say nothing of growing up in mountainous terrain with 3 months of snow, learning to drive on manual and always driving manual in those conditions, mountain roads, mud, snow, whatever. Living in San Francisco for 2 years in Bernal Heights on insane hills, working that 3rd pedal all day long. Give me some open roads and country time lemonade and I'll drive that old man trans all day long. Beyond that, it's for the birds. :clap: