GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Long Way

Rojito

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI SE MANUAL
Does anyone else deliberately take the long way to work, home, store, etc, just to get on the good driving roads?

I take a longer back road to work on most days for just this purpose. It adds roughly 4 miles and 10 minutes vs the interstate, but it’s totally worth it to me.

The first couple of miles is nice and easy and gets my engine warmed up just in time for the winding roads.

Nothing like a some great music and winding roads to get my day started right.

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
I'll almost always take my car through back roads and then head to the highway and get on it after the oil has come up to temp. I'll go up 3-4 exits and then loop back around and then go to the store.

Rojito

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI SE MANUAL
I'll almost always take my car through back roads and then head to the highway and get on it after the oil has come up to temp. I'll go up 3-4 exits and then loop back around and then go to the store.
Man, I hate driving on the interstate, especially the closer I get to Atlanta, so being able to avoid it AND being able to have fun driving my car is a double bonus.

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
Man, I hate driving on the interstate, especially the closer I get to Atlanta, so being able to avoid it AND being able to have fun driving my car is a double bonus.
I usually time my errands during non rush hour windows. Usually have plenty of room to open it up.

NoGodGetOverIt

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE/DSG
Guilty... ;)

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
No big roads where I live...got to drive at least 20mins away.....mind you the main road is quite smooth & still twisty ....however the "back" roads are very twisty & get used as more fun...until Harvest time...& meeting a BFO tractor the other way is no fun...& neither are the big logging lorries.....

But yes there are nice roads which I sometimes take for fun, instead of the plainer main road...just it always comes at a price...like seriously reduced MPG....;)..& the shopping has to be strapped down tight beforehand....

🍎............................................................... 🥬..............................................................................................🍞.............................................................

.................................🍊.................................................................................................🥔

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I never try to have fun on the roads during commuting hours.

Amazing roads turn torturous if you get stuck behind someone actually going 30 in the 30.

I only tear up the roads on the weekends or early mornings on non-commuter corridors. I also don't combine driving for fun with errands but that's because I usually end up forgetting what my secondary purpose was and return home empty handed. 🙃

Rojito

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI SE MANUAL
No big roads where I live...got to drive at least 20mins away.....mind you the main road is quite smooth & still twisty ....however the "back" roads are very twisty & get used as more fun...until Harvest time...& meeting a BFO tractor the other way is no fun...& neither are the big logging lorries.....

But yes there are nice roads which I sometimes take for fun, instead of the plainer main road...just it always comes at a price...like seriously reduced MPG....;)..& the shopping has to be strapped down tight beforehand....

🍎............................................................... 🥬..............................................................................................🍞.............................................................

.................................🍊.................................................................................................🥔
I don’t have to deal with tractors, but I really have to pay attention and take it easy on the weekends, especially on nice days, because of the cyclists. They’re all over my “fun” road.

They used to drive me crazy, but they do a decent job of getting out of the way, so I try to have a little more patience.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
1620481063355.jpeg

🧐

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Spring and fall, definitely.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Yeah the commute to my office (which I’ve done like 3X in the last year) has two main routes, one the easy, boring, traffic route. The other the fun twisty hilly mountains roads that add 10~ mins to the commute. So worth it for the kinda turns and cambers that road offers. Almost ran into a tree removal truck that was posted up right around the bend one day, that was a real eye opener for being careful. If I didn’t have AS3’s on at the time I bet I would’ve crunched my front end.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I have a 10 mile loop that I tack on occasionally. I went as far as naming it Durhamring after my home town. A beautiful stretch of tight twisy back roads with only a few stop signs on it.

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
As in Durham NC? If so, what is your loop? I live close by.