GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Jetta rides again

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
Background:

This car is fully stripped, and very light.

Car has been down since February, got it running a couple days ago. Turns out I blew my IE HPFP after only 1K miles; it was fuel cutting like mad when I stopped driving the car. I have my old stock HPFP internals in now, and bought a spare just in case. Also bought a 135i w/ dual clutch as a daily driver.

Recent developments:

I put the old Golf R K04 back on the car and made a tune for stock HPFP with just 1 bar linear boost from 3000 - redline. Had to use a stock catted downpipe too since my 3" got sold. Performance is very "smooth" or "gentle" for a K04, lol, but it still pulled nicely on my stock 135. The motor runs smoothly and I'm getting good timing advance on 93 with a fat intercooler. No meth in the car for now, I was gonna throw the kit in my 1 but we'll see. Should probably keep that car mostly stock except for software.

Current Mod List

--K04 + flat tire tune (totally stock fueling)
--Big intercooler
--Custom charge piping
--WOTbox
--Bilstein PSS10
--RE-11 tires
--Poly bushings
--Lines / pads / fluid
--Almost everything not involving stopping, going, turning, or necessary for structural support has been removed.

Plans:

Next step for the Jetta is to fix a wheel bearing, repair a newly broken headlight mount, and then throw on the big turbo I have laying around. I'm really looking at using port injected E85 to supplement the stock HPFP.

Here are some recent climate control modifications, since the car now has full fixed position polycarbonate windows except front / rear. The tube has a 12v brushless fan in it to ventilate the driver and supply fresh air. It works.

Couple pics of the new daily driver, taken after a 300 mile drive:

The 135 is a much better daily driver than the Jetta. The stereo sucks but I mostly don't use it. The gearbox is really good (same hardware as the v8 M3) and the RWD is fun too. Although a great daily, the bimmer is much less raw than the Jetta and considerably worse for track style, all-out driving, although it's fun powering out of corners and it's easy to power oversteer. I drive DSC off 100% of the time.

Last edited:

thirdlobe

Passed Driver's Ed
Can you tell me what happened to the IE HPFP?

I currently have one in my car and can say I was surprised by the amount of wear on the back of the follower as compared to other HPFP upgrades in the front of the followers.

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
Do you have any more pictures of how the air tube looks from the the outside and in the passenger compartment?

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
It draws the air in from a well shielded space between the unibody and inner fender area. This means there were no exterior modifications required and it doesn't add drag. More pics to come.

thirdlobe

Passed Driver's Ed
Ouch, that stinks.

I need to keep an eye on my pump as it seems like it is pressing excessively on the back of the follower.

Joshohol

Go Kart Champion
I installed my autotech internals on an OE Vw pump I bought and used for two days. Figured it couldnt have gotten that dirty in two days before they replaced my engine. I'm gonna search for pics of your ride.

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
I have no idea how much it weighs. Next step is to get it on a scale.

A list of some, but not all things that have been removed:

Spare + tools
Rear seat back
Trunk liner
Seat bottom
Carpet
Sound tar
All door cards
All window glass replaced with polycarbonate (lexan).
Door interior metal completely gutted, all locks and window hardware
All speakers
Headliner / misc trim
Audio amp / cables / satellite module / antennas / radio unit
User manual
Hood + insulation replaced w/ carbon
Center console / Inverter supply
AC ducting
Battery replaced w/ 3lb lithium (soon to be 8 lb lithium)
Engine cover
cover brackets / hardware
Windshield wash delete
Dash
All airbags, impact sensors, airbag controller, airbag wiring, safety wiring, &c
blower unit
pass seat (optional)
AC lines
AC Compressor
AC Condenser
10 lbs wiring
Sunroof
grab handles / brackets + hardware
Spare tire mount replaced w/ riveted aluminum sheet
Fog lights
rear crash bars

ghost_03

Ready to race!
I have no idea how much it weighs. Next step is to get it on a scale.

A list of some, but not all things that have been removed:

Spare + tools
Rear seat back

Fog lights
rear crash bars

Wow, that's pretty hardcore. Must be fun. You might be able to weigh it at a scrap yard if you ask them nicely. I put my GTI on the scale meant for pickups when I took in some old rotors and shocks.

Nice bimmer too.

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
Got to drive the car hard this weekend and it was a lot of fun. Caught the HPS pads on fire so ordered new DS2500 pads for the front and RBF600.

The car already has stainless lines and I have new replacement rotors ready to put in front with the new pads. Rear pads to come.

Here's a pic showing the gutted doors with lexan windows, and both stock front seats installed. I use the seatbelt trick to stay planted while driving.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Pads on fire? What is the seat belt trick?

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
The brake pads got too hot.

The seat belt trick is where you slide the seat further back than where you normally sit, pull on the shoulder belt to lock it, and then slide the seat forward while keeping tension on the belt so it stays locked. If you do it right you'll be really strapped into the seat and won't get thrown around during hard driving.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
That's a great idea, I'll have to try it.