GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Golfmk OFF-TOPIC chat (Part 11)

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Looked into it when my battery died, the OEM battery has a pretty high CCA output that even a optima can't put out.

merkeyterkey

The Real FLATTIRE
My current one is supposed to be 600 CCA. It tested 312 and 358 at the two places I went today.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I replaced my OEM with a Duralast Gold from Autozone and it wasn't more than a year when I started noticing slow starts. As far as I can tell there really isn't a substitute to the OEM battery

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Yeah, this is my second CarQuest OE battery replacement. Got a second one because the first one died prematurely, so warranty replacement. I'm hoping I can just get cash back for the pro-rated amount since this is the second one that hasn't lasted even half its lifespan (according to the sticker).

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Went with a OEM but have a battery tender on it due to my GTI not leaving the garage often. Got 6 years out of the first one, and it probably had a few years left but was replaced by the dealership when they couldn't figure out my no start issue that ended up be a bad ground strap on the starter.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I'm going to try to fight with CarQuest/Advanced Auto to see if I can get cash back instead of a replacement if the CCA doesn't improve after I get it on a charger. Voltage this morning after sitting overnight was 12.40 and after commuting about 30 minutes to work was at 12.50 (with the car off). With the car running, I'm seeing about 13.55 (with A/C and lights on).

If they go for the cash refund, I'll pick up another OEM battery. The OEM lasted at least twice as long as the last two I've had.

Edit: Looking it up in the parts catalog, it's interesting to see that the OEM battery listed (either 000915105AD or 000915105AG, I'm not sure which) is only 330-380 CCA whereas my current one is 600, but reading 350.

Last edited:

merkeyterkey

The Real FLATTIRE
I'm going to try to fight with CarQuest/Advanced Auto to see if I can get cash back instead of a replacement if the CCA doesn't improve after I get it on a charger. Voltage this morning after sitting overnight was 12.40 and after commuting about 30 minutes to work was at 12.50 (with the car off). With the car running, I'm seeing about 13.55 (with A/C and lights on).

If they go for the cash refund, I'll pick up another OEM battery. The OEM lasted at least twice as long as the last two I've had.

Smart. How much are OEM batterys?

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Even if it was $150, if they last a lot longer, it ends up being cheaper in the long run not to mention less of a hassle. My original battery lasted 7 or 8 years and it gets to 100 degrees here and down to -20. My car has been garaged most of its life but it does sit out during work (when it was a daily). I replaced mine before winter so it never officially left me stranded but after replacing it, I realized how close it was to doing so. The new one was definitely better.

das_fast

Blaine Likes Men