GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Golfmk OFF-TOPIC chat (Part 11)

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Heading in tomorrow to get a full battery, charging system, starter, and draw test done to make sure there's not something in my car that's prematurely killing batteries. I'll also be getting a new OEM battery from VW since mine has now dipped to 299 CCA.

"New" used/certified car shopping has begun.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Heading in tomorrow to get a full battery, charging system, starter, and draw test done to make sure there's not something in my car that's prematurely killing batteries. I'll also be getting a new OEM battery from VW since mine has now dipped to 299 CCA.

"New" used/certified car shopping has begun.

You don't have an aftermarket head unit, do you? I've heard of those sometimes draining batteries or even RNS510's draining batteries if you don't update the CANBUS.

My OEM battery lasted 8 years I think it was. Possibly 7.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
You don't have an aftermarket head unit, do you? I've heard of those sometimes draining batteries or even RNS510's draining batteries if you don't update the CANBUS.

My OEM battery lasted 8 years I think it was. Possibly 7.

Definitely something to look into. When I went to Advanced the last time the guy said it wouldn't let him scan the battery "because of some interference from the car giving an error" while it was connected to the cables. "Are you sure it's off and the keys are out?" Etc. So, we had to unhook the battery to test it.

I do have an aftermarket Pioneer head unit with the Metra adapter and steering wheel control harness.

Any documentation on updating the CANBUS? Might be something I should have done regardless of what's wrong.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
In the same boat, my friend. I'm trying to hold off until after winter but I doubt that'll happen.

Car shopping tends to stress me out to no end. I don't buy often, maybe once every 6-8 years as long as I enjoy the car, so it's a decision I feel I have to live with for a while.

Right now I think I've narrowed it down to either another GTI or an A3, either being a 2015 more than likely. Interestingly enough, the prices for the Autobahn package GTI I like and the A3 seem to be about the same around here.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I probably wouldn't even consider the first one. Why no 6 speed?

You were correct. The rental car felt like, well, a rental car. Smelled of smoke inside. Plastic all scratched up, especially around the ignition. Both posts that hold up the cargo cover were snapped off. Every wheel was terribly curb rashed. Just a whole bunch of fail.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Really? That's the only real hang up for me, is the color. Well that and the price.

In your case, I would prefer a GTI over an A3, but I cant say why :iono:

Carbon steel gray is my favorite GTI color since they released it. No one within a 200 mile radius (that also has the lighting package) seems to want to trade theirs in.

hairyblackrabbit

Powerful like a gorilla
Carbon steel gray is my favorite GTI color since they released it. No one within a 200 mile radius (that also has the lighting package) seems to want to trade theirs in.

Thats exaxtly what the wife has

4 door, se, stick

Been a great car for her

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Dealer put in a new battery. Other one was definitely shot. Says the drain on it is 0.006a when sitting off, which is in the normal range. Only thing the tech mentioned was my head unit and how the module never gets to sleep since it's always looking for the stock head unit. Anyone have any links to what can be done to fix that? Or is the answer to put in the stock head unit?

Edit: Correction. Just sitting the draw is 0.001a, but when the module searches for the stock radio, it's jumping up to 0.006a.

Last edited:

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
50 mA is the standard "ok" drain that most manufacturers use for reference. I think I remember reading that you need up update the CAN controller module to work with aftermarket radio CAN. Donjuan might know

Yeah, I just read some pretty lengthy stuff over on the TDI forum about it. I'm just going to pull the head unit. It's served its purpose. Going back to stock for eventual trade-in anyway.