GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

*The End all Intercooler Thread*

Moosecakes

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Okay, so all this talk of which intercooler setup is better than this setup is all biased opinions, no data. So let's do this. This thread we will post up our graphs of Intake Air Temps with various intercooler setups as well as if the car is stock, or tuned. Just list what mods are done with the car along with a graph and let's see what truly is the best real life application.

Let's test stock intercooler, stock + twincooler (godspeed/forge), s3 + twincooler (godspeed/forge) s3 alone, and finally an independent stand alone intercooler such as BSH or a custom fabbed one *please list core and size*

Anyway I'll start it with my logs.

Stock IC

with this setup I peaked at 20*C

2008 FSI motor
Stock intercooler, APR stage2+ tune, 3" catless

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Stock Intercooler
This is after A LOT of runs. Temps are C.

2008 FSI motor
Stock intercooler, Unitronic stage 2, 3" BB Downpipe, Stock intake and filter
_____________________________________________________________________________________

S3 Intercooler

Red MKV GTi (DSG)
REVO Stage 2+, SPS+ software
OBX 3" Catless DP/ Autotech HPFP/ R8 fuel valve/ Euro S3 Intercooler/ Neuspeed CAI /Koni STR.T Shocks/ B&G Springs/ APR rear sway/ TMI /Yokohama S.Drive tires

K04 + S3 intercooler

Godspeed Twincooler + OEM IC

Car is a 06 GLI with Unitronic stage 2 with Godspeed Twin IC and Devils own DVC-30 kit with D03 nozzle.
~this run is without meth injection at 100* F ambient temp.

Euroject stand alone FMIC

APR-93 Stg2+V1.0 w/APR pump, APR Stealth TBE, Forge DV, Dbilas intake, VF-mounts, Eurojet FMIC, Eurojet discharge & TB pipe, BSH/SaikouMichi pcv fix, 248whp - 294ft-lbs @ 85F

Let's get everyone to post graphs and I'll add them to the first post! :thumbsup:

lol I hope this log is correctly setup.... seems like a very low IAT to me...

Last edited:

Alik4041

Habibi!
Car(s)
08 Jetta Wolfsburg
This is after A LOT of runs. Temps are C.

2008 FSI motor
Stock intercooler, Unitronic stage 2, 3" BB Downpipe, Stock intake and filter

Moosecakes

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Awesome, i'll add it up, My log was only after like 1-2 runs so i think that may be why it was so cool. :thumbsup:

Alik4041

Habibi!
Car(s)
08 Jetta Wolfsburg
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3125377&postcount=67
Remember im using the S3 currently and I would agree that the stock paired with the forge wouldnt yeild as pleasing results but the S3 is literally miles better in IAT and flow. See graph below by a user on vwvortex:

"Logs! For all of the people using this IC, I was surprised that there were no good data points out there. So, I figured I'd log before and after IAT's and MAF readings as the IC can do two things for you... cool the charge and improve flow. And what do you know? The S3 accomplishes both!

Both sets of logs were done in a nearly exact same conditions. I drove the same route from the house, went WOT at the same locations, and ambient was close to the same (17*C for the stocker, 15*C for the S3). Both times I did three back-to-back-to-back runs from 3000 RPM to 6500 RPM, with a lightly braked coast down in between. This was done to try to stress the IC.

As expected, each run to redline gets progressively warmer. The S3 however stays cooler throughout, and remains more consistent."

Now, combine that with the Forge unit and I still would be hard pressed that any setup would be better in terms of heat dissipation, volume or IATs but I can still be persuaded if I see LOGS but I sadly think I'll be the only one posting logs in this thread. OP please prove me wrong....

Red MKV GTi (DSG)
REVO Stage 2+, SPS+ software
OBX 3" Catless DP/ Autotech HPFP/ R8 fuel valve/ Euro S3 Intercooler/ Neuspeed CAI /Koni STR.T Shocks/ B&G Springs/ APR rear sway/ TMI /Yokohama S.Drive tires

Moosecakes

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Perfect, i'll pull the s3 graph and put that one up for that. Thanks!

Alik4041

Habibi!
Car(s)
08 Jetta Wolfsburg
Here's a tuned k04 with s3 for comparison.

www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142094

I did a few logs today to check out how the S3 IC is holding up to the K04. I'm pleasantly surprised. I thought with the 20+ psi it would struggle worse than it is.

This plot is the 3rd consecutive WOT run. I used the exact same procedure as I did in my first S3 IC thread: http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140139

• With Stage II on the stock IC, intake temps were 10-14 *C above ambient at WOT.
  • With Stage II on the S3 IC, intake temps were 6-8 *C above ambient at WOT.
  • With K04 on the S3 IC, intake temps are 9-11 *C above ambient at WOT.

Alik4041

Habibi!
Car(s)
08 Jetta Wolfsburg
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...nd-Logged!&p=69487869&viewfull=1#post69487869
Very nice writeup and I applaud you for taking the time to log, but I think that once you log it in more extreme temperatures, you'll find that the S3 IC will be subject to the same IAT climb as OEM, but not as drastic.

Here is a log of my stock vs APR IC on a 2.0t FSI. Should be relatively similar to the TSI. In hot weather, there's a 10C IAT climb whereas your cooler weather log shows a 4C IAT climb.

Dave

Alik4041

Habibi!
Car(s)
08 Jetta Wolfsburg
Let's just say I've researched this topic WAY too much :biggrin:

Moosecakes

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
lol i appreciate it!! but this will be nice to have it all compiled in one thread instead of 1000 of them spread over various forums.

sweet. I think we have stock and s3 by themselves covered, let's get some graphs of the twincoolers + stock and s3 setups and a standalone setup. :thumbsup:

I'll be back in a bit after i put another coat of wax on me car!

Moosecakes

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Lol I guess we will have to see... no company is going to tell you the complete honest truth about any of there products, they will hype them up to be better than so and so. I'll wait for graphs to determine what is best...

SDM

Ready to race!

Moosecakes

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
perfect thanks! I'll post it up.

mamey

Ready to race!
APR INTERCOOLER END THREAD//////////////////////

Nop, meth injection, for half the price and sub ambient temps :thumbsup:

Moosecakes, I have logs with stock IC with and without meth at 33C ambient, and also logs with stock IC + goodspeed twincooler with and without meth at 38C ambient, where you can see how the goodspeed actually helps pretty much the stock IC, but dont have the skiils to properly graph it, if you have the will and the time i can send you those to your e mail to help with your topic..

Cheers!

Moosecakes

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Definitely, send the logs over i'll pm you my email address and i'll throw them together :thumbsup:

Meth injection is on my list of things to do!!!