GOLFMKV

The Driver Motorsport Review that never happen

Status
Not open for further replies.

drtechy

How you doin?
Car(s)
2008 TR GTI
First let me say I’m not the type to bash anyone online and this is not going to be a bash session. I have some good and some bad to say. I just want to put this out there so that others don’t experience the same thing I did because no one warned them.
This saga started with a friend of mine posting a thread on golfmk6 in regards to the rev hang issues I have been having with my 2012 Stage 2 Beetle. I had been troubleshooting and researching the problem for about 6 months prior to the thread being posted. Received the usual internet responses, it’s normal, ignore it, etc, then suddenly Driver Motorsport posts up saying that their software can eliminate it. Then I pm’d them with some questions, and they asked if I would be interested in doing a review for them as well on golfmk6 since they hadn’t had much exposure there. So I thought my prayers had been answered. I did some research about them online, found a bunch of satisfied customers, so I figured I’d give them a shot. They even said that “all their other beetle customers have been satisfied.” Little did I know this was a typical sales pitch as they hadn’t tuned any 2012+ beetles yet.
Forgive me if the timeline doesn’t add up perfectly, this has been an ongoing saga for 6 months so I don’t have all the dates spot on so I’ll be general about it.
On January 31st 2014 I made my payment to Driver Motorsport. Since they weren’t close to me I had to ship my ecu to them. Since it is my only car, I had to rent a vehicle while my ecu was in transit back and forth. No big deal I thought, I’ll ship it overnight, they’ll flash it, and ship it back to me overnight. Here’s the first sign something was wrong. They practically beg me to ship via UPS instead of any other carriers because they’ve had problems with them. Again it didn’t seem like that big of a deal, so I spent $105.00 for packaging and shipping overnight to them. They received it, and started working on it. Apparently they ran into some issues because it was an ECU (MED17.5.2) that they hadn’t tuned before. So it took them an extra day. Again, I figured nothing to be worried about, it is fairly new and APR went through the same thing when I first got my car to get it tuned. After the extra day they said it was all ready to go and they shipped it out. BUT, they shipped in a padded envelope via USPS priority mail. Since they didn’t ship it overnight, even though they said they would, I ended up having to pay for a rental car for an additional 2 days. Again, I shrug it off, no big deal, the ecu was in one piece and the car started right up.
So I go for a test drive, and everything seems normal except almost immediately I notice I still have rev hang. I shrug it off and continue with my test drive. First thing I notice that I like is the linear throttle. I have to admit that it is a nice feature and definitely makes you feel a bit more connected to exactly how the motor is running. The power seems a little off from my APR stage 2 tune, but I knew it would feel different. I try to ignore the occasionally rev hang for now since I’m assuming the ECU needs more time to adapt anyway.
I drive 100 miles a day ROUND TRIP just for work, but I did give it a while before I went back to DM (Driver Motorsport, I’ll use the acronym for the rest of this lol) to say that the rev hang delete didn’t work. In any case, I email DM (because they wouldn’t give me a phone number, which should have been a clue) and explain that the rev hang is still present. Here’s where I start to notice something isn’t right, I don’t get a response for a couple of days. I know people are busy, but when I wanted to buy his tune they were responding immediately, but when I have problems suddenly they are too busy? But I shrug that off anyway. They ask me to run a couple of logs, so I do, but the logs they asked me to run were at WOT only. I was a bit confused, but again figured they know what they’re doing so I’ll just do it. After sending the logs they respond saying that everything looks good and they were just checking to make sure the software got flashed properly. I ignore it, and they mention that once I get the programmer they will try a couple of things with some new files. So I wait.
I honestly can’t remember how much time went by, probably a couple of weeks, but I finally received the programmer. I was very disappointed when I first got it. It looked like a portable toy gaming system, no instructions, no nothing with it. I email DM to let them know I got it, and they send me the software for it. I load it up, it won’t connect to my car. Now, I have been in IT for over 10 years. I manage a service desk for a large energy company. I also support several small businesses on the side and I’m basically one of the biggest geeks you’ll meet lol. Hell my screenname is DrTechy lol! Anyway, back on topic, DM asks me to try a couple of things, nothing works. At this point I think we’re about a month into this saga. And yet again, I shrug off the issues and wait for DM to get back to me. They ask me to export a log from the programmer software to help them figure out why the programmer wouldn’t connect. I send it to them, and then I don’t hear from them. Shrugged it off again figuring they’re just researching the issue.
In the midst of all this, I’m running smoke tests on the intake and exhaust side of the motor and continuing to try and troubleshoot the issue from a hardware standpoint. Fixed a few tiny, and I mean tiny, leaks but they made no difference which was verified by the logs.
I’m not sure of the timeline, but I hear back from DM finally and they say the programmer is not compatible with my version of the ECU, so they offer a refund or if I want to wait for a new programmer they are going to work with that will definitely work with my ecu. Being the patient person I am, and since I’ve been hunting the issue down for so long and spent thousands doing so at this point, I say no worries on the refund, I rather get this fixed. So I wait…again!
I don’t even know how much time goes by, but probably 2-3 more months of not hearing anything and waiting. I was going to post all my emails back and forth so everyone can see exactly how much time and how many times I was ignored, but that’s a lot of work to put all that together. I figure it’s not really necessary at this point. However, If someone starts to doubt me, then I’ll publish them.
I finally hear back from DM, they say they are ordering a new version of the programmer from Italy for these new ECU’s and as soon as they receive them they’ll be able to get new files to me to test with. I think great, my patience is paying off and I’ll finally get something going here!. More time goes by and...... nothing. I remained patient, not once did I get nasty towards DM or anything. I even had a friend going through the same thing in NYC with DM, and I was trying to make excuses for them so he wouldn’t give up.
Several weeks go by and still no new programmer. I just keep getting ignored. At this point I have only a 93 octane file on my ecu, and I have to start traveling west for work where there is no 93 octane fuel, only 91. I explain this to DM several times in an email but I simply get ignored. One of my friends mentions that the knock sensor will pull timing if the fuel isn’t up to 93 octane and it will be fine. While I did know this, I didn’t want to take the chance. But since I had no word from DM, I figured I’d email one more time and ask them about the knock sensor or even using octane boost. They respond almost immediately to tell me that the octane boost or even letting the knock sensor detect it will be fine. Now I’m pissed, because I finally realize it’s not that they’re busy, they’re just ignoring me.
So time passes yet again, and they email me to say they finally have 2 of the new programmers in hand to test so it should only be about a week before they ship one to me. Time passes and no word. My great amount of patience is wearing thin, but trying to be the better person I even wait another week past the original week he told me before emailing again. Yup still email because they ignore my emails asking for a phone number of some sort. I’m ignored YET again. Now I email them to let them know I’ll be at SoWo and if they’ll be there they can work on the car there. At this point we’re 5 months into this saga. Again, almost an immediate response, oh yea we’ll be at sowo. We’ll take care of you there, this way we’ll have all of our equipment, blah blah blah. Ok fine, my great patience kicks in again and I figure no issue, I’ll meet them at SoWo and they’ll work on the car in person. Great!
During all this time I never really pushed the car that hard, but I had organized a dyno day for our local VW club. So I of course dyno’d the car. GREAT results! 258whp and 305wtq. At this point I’m feeling great, the rev hang issue and lack of programmer will be handled at SoWo and all will be good…Until I ask them to do a pull in 4th gear. They hit 120mph and no further, the dam governor was still on the tune. I email them and they say they’ll take care of it at SoWo, again I figure just be patient and all will be taken care of at SoWo!
So I get to SoWo! 3rd year in a row for me so I’m pumped! Start talking to some people and actually find another person with a big turbo TSI who is supposed to meet with DM at SoWo too to fix his tune. We start talking, along with a couple of other people who used DM, and they didn’t have very good things to say! I was in shock, I started asking them why they didn’t post up any of this info to warn others. They said they didn’t really want to bash anyone, and I understand that. But it would be nice if some people would have spoken up about their issues with DM, it may have prevented me from going through all this.

drtechy

How you doin?
Car(s)
2008 TR GTI
Anyway, DM emails me saying they are on their way on Friday to Helen, GA. I think great, I’ll see them Saturday at the show, nail down what time we’ll meet, and go from there. Saturday morning I get up, get the car on the main field, and start enjoying the show. As always SoWo did not disappoint, and I finally see the DM sign in the Forge Motorsport booth just like they said they would be. I walk up and meet Bronson. I shake his hand and introduce myself, as soon as I do he suddenly seems disinterested. I’m talking to him, but he’s really not paying attention to me. He finally says come back at 6pm and we’ll go for a drive blah blah blah.I continue to enjoy the show, until about 3:30pm. My friends and I decide we’re going to leave the show field, since it was winding down, and go party. I stop by to let Bronson know. He finally gives me a phone number and says to just give him a call around 6pm and we’ll meet up. Now I’m pumped, this is good, I’ve got a phone number and he’s going to take care of me.
6pm rolls around, I call the number, no answer and no voice mailbox has been setup. So I shoot him a follow up text message. No response…for hours! Now it’s probably 9pm, not sure, but I’m hanging with friends and the big turbo guy who was supposed to meet DM. He gets a call from Bronson saying he’ll meet him at his hotel in a “little while” to start working on his car.
After that call, I get this email:
“We packed up everything, we went out to eat and I had a business conversation with forges owner. I can't answer my phone when I'm being called like that during that type of conversation.
We just got back. I'm taking a shower and cleaning up.
I'm doing this for you, this entire flash I didn't profit off of after shipping programmers, buying 2 new programmers and all of the shipping into it, time into flashing protocols, hours of personal time to write Beetle files on a time crunch because you and JP were out of a car while I had the ECU.
I know I've always had excuses about why it hasn't been easy but it really hasn't. The med17.5.2 file makes good power and does everything Unitronic or APR flashes do. We didn't have rev hang sorted like we thought so we don't advertise it to med17.5.2 anymore and when I made the original beetle files I did it on a time crunch due to the situation when the ECUs were shipped and didn't do the speed limiter.
I'll bring the flashing cables tonight when I call everybody that called me after the show and see the big turbo crowd. If we don't have time to get it tonight, you need to let it go until time frees up tomorrow.
Speak to you soon,
Bronson”

I NEED TO LET IT GO? While I’m sure that was an innocent sentence, I sure didn’t like the sound of it. Now I’m fuming! I leave my friends to go walk off the anger, catch up with some other people, etc. When I get back about an hour later, I come to find he still hadn’t shown up and no word from him to anyone. The whole night goes by and nothing. Turns out DM was too busy making money by flashing new customers instead of taking care of their prior commitments. At that point, I don’t even want to see this guy again or deal with DM ever again. I never heard back from them and someone posts up in the rev hang thread asking for any updates from SoWo. I just respond by saying, ask DM. Then DM responds with this:
“We got killed at SOWO. It was our first show of that size, while we had all of the usual marketing material and brought everything we needed for the show we were still unprepared. We didn't market our attendance of the show as well as we wanted to and even then we had customers coming by and dropping off their ECUs at our hotel to finish up flashes. We had terrible time mgmt and didn't get half of what we wanted to get done. Definitely a learning experience, an invaluable one.
Nothing was attended to and 3 of the customers we wanted to get to, we didn't make it (incl dr techy).
Any customers that contact us with a med17.5.2 ECU about rev hang, we do not claim to have it after we found out that it is entirely different from our previous work with med17.x. It is not comparable at all, it occurs for 2 separate reasons on med17.x & med17.5.2. We're offering full refunds to customers with med17.5.2 ECUs who really want that particular feature.”

Just a bunch more excuses. Amazingly as soon as I email and demand a refund, I get a partial refund and am asked to ship my non-working programmer back to DM to receive the remainder of my refund. So I do, and I got my refund.
My reason for writing this is to inform people of the way they seem to be doing business. I would have loved if someone would have warned me about it! Overall I honestly did like the tune (minus the rev hang problems), but with subpar service, and having traveled 600 miles simply to be stood up, I cannot recommend Driver Motorsport. Now if others wish to post up their experiences it’s a forum and you’re more than welcome to.
I am now working with another tuner on the rev hang issue. Hopefully within the next month or so I’ll be able to post up a thread on how it is going. Thankfully this new tuner has not made any promises and just wants a chance to try! In my opinion, that’s a much more professional way to do business than to make promises on something you’re not sure of.
Feel free to post up questions

Car(s)
Subaru
i dont feel like reading all that tbh, but sucks youve had a hard time. they do have another programmer with a touchscreen now and can hold 5 tunes. i dont mind the powergate 2 programmer though. it does everything i need.

if i was to have it my way, id like to see a tool that can flash tunes, data log, and direct email it to dm. im not good at programming things, fallenangel and snowman know that haha. but, if i could program a java program that would read and load tunes/data, id do it.

at my work, we sell crap for factories. we put literature in everything... even air nozzles that go on the end of an air gun lol. regardless, i think its good to have constructive criticism, so ill say this on dm. the things i think that would help make things easier, is setup a google drive account or dropbox account and email a link to the setup pdf and xconsole. i ended up doing this for myself actually and its helped me out. also, an order forum and change request forum. i worked on one and sent it to them to get their take on it and they had some suggestions but i ended up not changing it cause i got too busy with work and school.

im very happy with dm as is, so if those changes i said happen in the future, id be really happy. im not sure what dms financial stance is, but it also seems like they need to hire someone else... possibly someone that is ocd and can help with scheduling or something. but, dm may not be able to do that yet, so no big deal for me.

613B6

Ready to race!
Ouch dude, sorry to hear the shit you went through. Best of luck with your beetle and the new tuner.

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
Subd. Very interested in how all of this works out.

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
Read that whole thing. Shit sucks man.. Hopefully you get this sorted

Tapatalkin

Driver Motorsport

Ready to race!
EDIT:

Just to try to defuse this smear campaign I'll repost what was said on golfmk6 here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just to clarify our position and we'll butt out.

We failed on 3 things we said we'd deliver. The Programmer's compatibility, the rev-hang delete and time spent looking at the car @ SOWO. Because of this, we refunded the software in full after 4 months. The software was refunded the same day we received the programmer. No excuses, none of those 3 aspects worked.

They even said that “all their other beetle customers have been satisfied.” Little did I know this was a typical sales pitch as they hadn’t tuned any 2012+ beetles yet.

I went through the PM's my brother had with you, we never said this. This statement from you I personally find troubling. Prior to you purchasing anything, Garrett said this to you on January 31st;

"We've done MED17.5.2 on MK6 GLI/Passat/Tiguan but never a Beetle so we wanted to do our due diligence."

BUT, they shipped in a padded envelope via USPS priority mail. Since they didn’t ship it overnight, even though they said they would, I ended up having to pay for a rental car for an additional 2 days. Again, I shrug it off, no big deal, the ecu was in one piece and the car started right up.

We have never shipped an ECU back priority mail. Especially when a customer is driving a rental car. We have never sent an ECU back in a prioity mail envelope, we tune ECUs for a living we would know that is not a good idea. According to my records, I got billed for ~$45 for the shipping. Priority mail with a padded envelope does not cost $45.

honestly can’t remember how much time went by, probably a couple of weeks, but I finally received the programmer. I was very disappointed when I first got it. It looked like a portable toy gaming system, no instructions, no nothing with it. I email DM to let them know I got it, and they send me the software for it. I load it up, it won’t connect to my car. Now, I have been in IT for over 10 years. I manage a service desk for a large energy company. I also support several small businesses on the side and I’m basically one of the biggest geeks you’ll meet lol.

Mario,

We provided technical support. I used TeamViewer and personally set up your Programmer remotely. When you first received your Programmer, we received an email on Friday, Feb 14th after business hours. We got back to you on the 17th with instructions and later on that evening we signed onto teamviewer. Again, We did not hand you a Programmer and Software to use it without any guidance.

I drive 100 miles a day ROUND TRIP just for work, but I did give it a while before I went back to DM (Driver Motorsport, I’ll use the acronym for the rest of this lol) to say that the rev hang delete didn’t work. In any case, I email DM (because they wouldn’t give me a phone number, which should have been a clue) and explain that the rev hang is still present. Here’s where I start to notice something isn’t right, I don’t get a response for a couple of days. I know people are busy, but when I wanted to buy his tune they were responding immediately, but when I have problems suddenly they are too busy?

I personally was looking at your data logs the day you sent them on February 8th... this was on a Saturday. The data you sent was looked at 1 hour after you sending it.. This was on the weekend. We were speaking to you the same day you received your ECU back from us.

Also;

Other customers having issues, I do not know of an open case where people are having software issues. If this was the case, we would've been contacted to remedy it. Majority of the customers have a programmer, if there's a problem they do not hesitate to bring it up or ask for some type of revision. We get these types of requests probably more than anybody. If there is an issue with other customers, please point us in their direction. This is especially troubling when you yourself said you were satisfied with the software outside of the rev-hang.

First let me say I’m not the type to bash anyone online and this is not going to be a bash session.

After reading your entire post(s) and double checking the facts, I do not believe this to be true. We have refunded your money, it seems as though you want more than your money refunded and that is why this post is seemingly out for 'blood'. Responding to a customer in this manner is not something we have ever done, but in the case when things are fabricated or exaggerated we have to step in. Things were fine until SOWO, you even offered to help us get our database backed up. Things turned ugly after we did not work on your car @ SOWO. I truly am sorry. Your situation was one of the major stresses/concerns on my mind that entire Saturday. In hindsight, I should've been cautious and said it was not possible.

Here are the cliff notes:

Good -
a) Car drives fine, you stated you preferred the way it drove (sans rev hang). When you got your ECU back, everything started up and drove with no issues. The ECU was handled properly.
b) You visit a dyno and ended up with more power than we advertise on our Stage 2 file. Your car had the highest dyno #'s out of all other 2.0T VAG including other TSI cars tuned by competiors.
c) The linear throttle feature was something you said enhanced the driving experience.
d) We refunded you in full, the same day everything was returned. We offered it and gave it to you no questions asked.

Bad -
a) The Rev-Hang was not fixed. We've since stopped advertising it for med17.5.2.
b) The Programmers ended up not being compatible.
c) The speed limiter was active, it was our first time making a file for your box code and we were on a time clock (you had a rental) so it got forgotten. Since this time, all med17.5.2 files were looked at and the 3 that did not have this removed were patched.
d) We were not able to meet you at SOWO.

I'm sorry, we can't do anymore. We refunded you because we didn't live up to our word. I've since removed the features from our product offerings. As a business, I can't do more than that. As far as industry standards go, you received a product that is extremely competitive with the market. The downfall is that you did not received things you were told you would get and I recognize that.

Let's keep in mind, nobody offers any of these things for med17.5.2. This entire issue was created from promising things off of assumption, that was the mistake. Nobody has bothered to look at rev-hang back when you decided to purchase the software and based off of our success with med17.x I said we could and gave you nearly 50% off of the sale to attempt to create a relationship and gain happy customers. It didn't work out, so I refunded you. Let's also keep in mind, I offered a full refund to you after finding out the Programmers did not work. I gave you multiple attempts out of the situation and told you that solutions were week(s) away at a time. Us not emailing you for a few weeks after making that statement is not unusual.

- Bronson

Driver Motorsport

Ready to race!
Now that it has been a few hours and I've let this process.

Posting a review with crucial bits of information not being true, is not helping fellow forum members and it certainly is not helping us. We did not fix the rev hang or get your Programmer working, I'm sorry. You were refunded in full.

They even said that “all their other beetle customers have been satisfied.” Little did I know this was a typical sales pitch as they hadn’t tuned any 2012+ beetles yet.

I went through the PM's my brother had with you, we never said this. This statement from you I personally find troubling. Prior to you purchasing anything, Garrett said this to you on January 31st;

"We've done MED17.5.2 on MK6 GLI/Passat/Tiguan but never a Beetle so we wanted to do our due diligence."

^This was prior to purchase of the software. Clearly, we were wrong in stating we were able to OBD flash it with the Programmer and you were refunded because we didn't live up to the expectations that were given to you. However, claiming that we pulled a bait and switch when we in fact did not is wrong. You were informed we did not have the file for your ECU because we have not created software for it yet. All of this is contrary to what you wrote in the 'review'.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Can't please everyone.

And this is a epic wall of text.

socalhatch

Don't panic it's organic
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Jeez can only imagine how many emails you guys get and I feel like mine bother you lol ( not in a bad way just sure I'm one out of like thousands)

Driver Motorsport

Ready to race!
I FUCKING LOVE WHEN VENDORS ARGUE WITH CUSTOMERS. Seems he learned something from apr.

It is not arguing. If false statements are made such that we lied by pulling a bait and switch and we have a PM showing we didn't.. The proper course of action is to allow DM to get that type of image?

It's definitely a lose/lose situation but I can't let that type of stuff go.

Status
Not open for further replies.